Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods So Can I Stay or Should I Go

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigdaddyhemi, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Dammit

Dammit
    from Canada

:cool:Great looking '49 you have there. Reminds me of my '50 Pontiac.

Attached Files:

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That was my though. Loose the not in the least HAMB friendly add ons and along with wide whites and caps drop the back end down at as least as low as the front if not a bit lower.
    Then it will look more like that car the boys down at the body shop on third street did with that back end of the 36 three window that was hit in the front and the nose and cowl off that 40 Sedan that was nailed in the back by the grain truck in the late 40's.

The flip nose isn't my thing but it won't kill the looks of the car as long as it stays closed at the more traditional events.

3. CptKaos

CptKaos

At least it's not a four door station wagon plastic model of a pedal car or bicycle :)

Larry

4. I REALLY dig the later split windshield on the 36 body. The original flat front glass on 35-36 fords always looked out of place to me. Those cars scream for a more streamlined V-type split windshield like yours.

5. the-rodster

the-rodster

I always thought a 38 Ford 3W would be cool.

I think yours could work, with some fiddling, the hood
    seems too long.

Here's another one I found while googling....

[​IMG]

Rich

6. Damnit that pontiac is smooth. Or

Damnit,
    The poncho is smooth. ;)

7. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is pretty smooth a few changes and it will be real nice as a custom.

8. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

Here's one that was built in '46 in Pasadena. This guy never really solved the problem of blending the hood into the cowl. Your'es comes a lot closer.
    I personally think the best front group for a '36 is the one that came on the car in '36, but... you're car has lots of potential to be brought into the real world without a lot of drastic changes to the basic car, either as a custom or a hot rod.
    I'd say get busy and make it neat car;):)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Bigdaddyhemi

Bigdaddyhemi

I appreciate all of the input guys. I am already looking into some skirts, steelies and wide whites. Yellow is not my thing either but it is only paint. perhaps some kind of a two tone. It will be a major job removing all of the yellow. I was thinking another color below the welt line. Tail dragger for sure but I dont really want to bag it perhaps some lowering blocks and lower profile tires in the rear. Lots of things to consider. I am going the way of a custom as taking it back to traditional will be a major under taking. limited funds and a poor economy. It will be done well just not over the top. Oh yeah I will have some plastic chrome thingys for sale next week...lol

10. Bigdaddy,
    If you could go black below the belt line it would pretty much hide your tilt nose. Then you could call it the bumble bee. ;) The yellow does scream '90s Good Guys event to me but I think I could live with it while I made everything else jam up. I am sure that whatever you do with it you will have it in spades when it is done.

11. You don't hafta be so gun shy. I'ts neat as hell and fits.

12. Lotta back and forth between the custom crowd and the hot rod crowd lately, that makes one gun shy.

Good words from the boss and the 'beaner (granted the 'beaner isn't worth that much) both died in th wool rodders and not afraid to admit it. That should say something about staying is good I would think. Of course I could be wrong. :)

It really is a slick car if one has a little imagination, lots of good possibilities there for sure. While I naturaly lean toward competition or street brawler as a rule and sometimes findmyself conflicted with some of my cars I would have no trouble with that one, it would be a full on custom built in the Valley Customs style. Without a doubt for me.

bigdaddy no doubt has his own ideas and I am waiting to see what he does with it. Everyone has their own style it does us all good to mix it up once in a while.

13. outlaw256

outlaw256

well i like it.alot! you know the drill,dump the wheels ,mirrors and the buick holes.and you have a winner.ive never liked yellow but with the right wheels this car can pull it off!! id drive that thing anywhere and be damn proud!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Bigdaddyhemi

Bigdaddyhemi

Thanks for the encouragement beaner. I am going to to a search for skirts on this site. I am thinking tear drop bubble. I dont know if they made a standard skirt to fit inside the wheel opening or not. That is going to be the next step but I guess I should wait until the car is deliverd and get proper measurments before I get to excited. I may even make a set.

15. spiders web

spiders web

Lose the Floyd Cotterpin wheels and the buick portholes. Maybe change the look a little. Possibly two tone paint, a little chrome, pinstripping or something but very cool car and should you decide to get rid of it PM me for a disposal address.Lol

16. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Yeh, BDH, that is a sweet score. Minor cosmetic changes and drive it. I can think of a lot worse color than yellow so that would be a low priority for me. Look forward to seeing what your vision is for it.

17. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Those are easily one of my favorite customs, and also the reason i'm not letting go of the free '39 fenders i just got...

18. Does that mean I can have your 36 front end? I think it would be tits on my '38 sedan. ;)

19. 2935ford

2935ford

Nope, it's not going to work here.....you better let me have it!:D

20. bgaro

bgaro

that thing'll be cool as hell in no time flat!

21. koolkemp

koolkemp

I am really looking forward to you making this car "yours" I think it has been purchased by the right guy ,it has a good future ahead!

22. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I think it has some really good potential. These 80s/90s cars are going to become more afffordable because they are starting to look really dated. Not this one as much, but I looked at a '40 sedan that was teal with 80s graphics and it was dirt cheap.

I would add ditch the smoothie running boards to the list personally. And you just know the interior is going to need redone. Let me guess, Billet steering wheel, Digital gauges, bucket seats, etc... :D

It could easily get a non-Hamb friendly update with bigger wheels (but still ditch the plastic portholes) and be a hero at all the Goodguys shows too.

23. A little rattle can primer can make any paint job "up to date", just sayin.

24. atomickustom

atomickustom

I like it and I'm not as horrified by the color as everyone else seems to be. There was a lot more variation in custom cars back in the day than now (they weren't all black or titian red!)

Change the wheels and tires and drop the rear and it'll be sweet, get rid of those fake ventiports and it'll be smooth, and worry about the paint a few years from now. OR post a photo on the photoshop thread and ask to see some two-tone ideas. You might be surprised by what someone comes up with.

25. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

What '36? Only thing I saw was that '49...Sweet Jesus...Sorry just not a fan of the 20's-30's type of vehicles, I'm a sucker for scallops, don't know what the hell my problem is, damn scallops!...don't know why it's not HAMB friendly, I am sure there is ten times worse floating around here...

*Edit - those wheels on the '36 have gots to go!

26. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I first saw it, I liked it (my mind automatically cancels platic ventiports and goofy wheels on cars like this). Then I noticed the chop; I think the chop being that much more in the front than in the back gives the car an awkward look. I think it may just be the nature of the parts used, but it looks like it would be hard to get looking good for me. Overall, however, I'm surprised how well the two styles go together.

27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

My vote would be to lose the front end from the firewall forward. My favotite part of a 36 has and always will be the grille headlights and hood.

Classic good looks that are now gone. The 40 front on that just doesn't do it for me.

It reminds me of those VW beetles you used to see running around wearing 40 Ford styled front ends.

I would go back to all 36 Ford parts.

Attached Files:

28. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

wayyyyyyyyyyyy cool !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4ttruk

29. lukey

lukey

I think the chop would be ok with skirts and a taildragger stance

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

30. Please save that car.