Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art Deco Chevy Rear Leaf Question.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brett4christ, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Can the leaf springs on the rear of a 39-46 Chevy truck be moved inboard of the framerails? Obviously the spring/shackle mounts will have to be fabricated and properly supported. If I relocated my springs, I could lower the rear up to the point that I need a C-notch for the frame.

Or is it a really bad idea?

2. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I did it on my 53 Chevy build. Looks and works awesome.
    There are pics in my build thread.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  3. toolman1967

toolman1967

I moved mine inboard and changed them out for a set that actually allowed the rear end to MOVE up and down. Yes you can do it, No their does not seem to be any downside. I did fabricate new mounts just as you mentioned.

Good Luck, easy project for anyone with some welding and fab experience.

Tim the Toolman

4. 235/Tim

What rear springs did each of you use? Donor car? New springs?

5. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I used the stock springs to build it. After it was back under the car I swapped to Posies Super Slide replacement 3 inch drop springs. The only problem I ran into was the new springs, with the bushings installed, we're about an 1/8 wider (1/16th each side) I just ground the edge of the spring a little on each side to get them to fit.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

6. Used Camaro leaves and rear end in my 50 chevy sedan delivery by moving them inboard of the stock chassis and fabbing new mounts. worked fine.

Attached Files: