Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help a fellow HAMBER OUT!!! Welding done by shop!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr.Dickies, Oct 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Your gut was right. The works junk, and I wouldn't want those welds rolling down the road near me. I've seen some terrible welds on stuff that I know has been on the road for years and years, but, when there are that many different possibilities for failure.... I wouldn't go near it. Do your best to coach him in to getting it fixed right. He seems to need guidance. Hell, you may be saving his life. No joke.

At this point, that shop should just get him another frame. That one's probably been heat cycled so many times, and is tweaked all to hell. It's a shame he accepted the work though, as he is now going to have a much harder time getting any money or anything back out of them. I really do feel for the guy, BUT, he really needed to look things over. I could see in his YouTube video that many of those welds were suspect. The one weld he shows up close is obviously from the kit, and wasn't made by the installers. Not trying to bag on him, but, I think he was trying to sell himself on this deal... It's a shame.

2. radgirl

radgirl

Well done for telling him as it is. You give em a welder , they think their a "welder" I believe this is very fixable. I also believe this is definitely not an expensive fix. Check my FrankenMerc thread you will see some pretty scary hack work. I can honestly say so far it hasn't really cost me other some sheetmetal. I don't know if you have a Dept of fair trading there or not but we so and it would refund your money. If you don't have something like that. Name and shame. Any HAMBers willing to help a guy out could certainly do some need work and fix that. Of you were here I would swap you some for lawnmowing (I hate that shit) and chocolate. I really hope he follows this through and recieves a refund.

3. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

I look at the work and shake my head. It pains me to know he spent so much for such fucked up work. People that can't do it themselves pay people that are "Professionals" to do it right. I know he has more in just that work then I have in my whole 50 Ford including the car. I have had some really good people in my life show me what not to do and the right way to do things. In my neighborhood I have kids come have me weld things for them and ask me a million questions also car guys stop by once or twice a day to ask me things. I will never turn my back on someone that needs help. It's not who I am or not who I want to be. I had a friend that left this site because of the BS girlish comments. We were going to have a once a month day to work on cars and do whatever the guys voted they wanted to learn that day. Now that he left here and only builds bikes he said he doesn't want to do it for this site because of how some people can be.

4. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

RadGirl
    I love mowing my lawn. But I live in LA and from strat to finish can be done in 20 minutes if I have to edge.
    You are right it is fixable. They bent his frame. So that's one thing best left to the frame shop. Dept of fair trade I wish we had that. I know he just wants to be able to drive his vehicle. I really like the kid and he deserves better.

5. waynos

waynos

i am a fabricator.that looks scary but its metal....tig over it.problem solved.poor bugger payin for that though.the twist sounds like some serious redoin though

6. radgirl

radgirl

That sucks so bad. We have to have a license to trade here or you are called a back yarder, my insurance also covers some fuck ups (I have had apprentices so sometimes shit happens) but I am liable legally and financially for everything that goes out of my workshop. I think it's a bloody disgrace that a workshop can get away with that. Lucky he even looked! I have heaps of customers that wouldn't even look let alone know what they are looking for. I also have to pay fee's to keep my licence and to the MTA which is a Motor Traders Authority. I'm so terribly sorry this happened. I'm a chick but man I would want to punch them so hard, a bit violent but I said want to not I would do it.

7. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

So yeah everyone I will get more pictures. And see if they want to come out. ALso this is just the tip of the iceberg on this vehicle trust me.

8. ChefMike

ChefMike

now I dont feel so bad about my welding LOL

9. ronotron

ronotron

So after all that..... Is this Blakes truck or isn't it... I'm just find it hard to believe, considering Blake had John from No Limits inspect the work on the truck and give his approval.... ...???.?.?.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

10. ryno

ryno

This is supper lame, I vote to lock this thread
    It's threads like this that get the traditional guys in an uproar.
    I totally agree with prewar on this ,you talk about a brotherhood but do nothing to help any one out? Other then tell us about how good you do, and how you really want to let us know your friend got fucked by a shop that you wont name,and your friend has not step up to tell his side.

Im from la, and there must be something in the air out there lately,cause it seems quite a few of you guys come on here and kick up a dirt storm , but when alittle dust gets in your eyes you don't want to play anymore.

11. Appreciate the plug. Here is a link to a more relevant picture set. Ernie's 63

Blake, I think I would stop on by No Limit and have them take a close look at the final product. Get them to sign off on the installation, in writing.

12. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Ryno
    Like I said it's not my place to out the person. If he wants to step forward then he will. I'm not "kicking up dirt" and leaving. I stand by my reason to post the thread to see if my gut on how shitty and unsafe the work was true or was I being over picky. As I see it I was the only one with him at the shop no one else.People on here talk a mean game and never follow though. It's easy to talk shit on the internet but when push came to shove I was the only one standing up for a brother. Yes can name the shop give address website club he belongs ect. That wasn't what I was trying to do here I was trying to make 100% sure I wasn't overreacting on the work. I kind of feel like we need to be able to lock posts on our own or approve comments because this is turing into FACEBOOK. Ryno say what you want I don't see you helping this guy out or having a valid comment so you are irrelevant. I am done with the high school crap on here. Be and act like men not boys.

13. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

Holy mackeral.....I bet JB weld would hold better than those......man..that's scary!

14. wallyringo

wallyringo

some people just dont respect welding, they think its easy and any jerk can do it, that shit looks so chunky just like my peanut butter.

15. RFOSTER

RFOSTER

I was thinking the same thing!!!

16. SpecialtyCars

SpecialtyCars

A lot of the work that comes through my shop is repair work as a result of other shops.

A good weld can be done with MIG, but its easy to make a really pretty MIG weld that has no penetration. For that reason, all of my structural work is done with TIG.

If it doesn't look like money...you can't charge money for it!

I'm not cheap, but my work speaks for itself. Let me know if I can help your friend out. I'd have everything cut off and start from scratch...it will make straightening the frame easier if all of the old tabs and crap are off anyway.

Best,
    John K.

Attached Files:

17. I've never welded and I'm quite sure I can do better than the work of a three year old. Maybe they take the knot tying thing to a new standard, (If you can't tie a knot, tie a lot).

As a person that doesn't know how to weld, how do you really fix this type of problem? Is it a cut the weld, grind down, and start over type of thing?

18. SpecialtyCars

SpecialtyCars

As far as I'm concerned I'd cut it all off and start from scratch. You could try and TIG over all of the bad welds, but unless you put a huge amount of amperage to it, it would be tough to ensure proper penetration.

The guy already got burned by a half-assed job, so i figure cut out all the cancer and do it right.

19. If this is the bad build some of us think it is, the original posts contained recommendations to consider another frame. That one was so whacked to begin with.

Bob

20. oldcarguygazok

oldcarguygazok
    from AUSTRALIA.

These guys should go back to the beach and build sandcastles,and leave the fabrication to the grown ups !

Gaz.

21. ronotron

ronotron

Hopefully Blake can come on here and straighten this mess out. I really hope he didn't pick the trick up without someone inspecting the final works.

22. ryno

ryno

so what did you exactly mean to get out of this thread then, an reassurance of your good eye,gut feelings? if your anyone that has picked up a welder or has been involved in this hobby or career like some of us for any amount if time you can clearly see it is shitty.

I'm not trying to talk shit to you personally, but you may want to re-read Blake's, i mean your friend that you wouldn't name, other thread where among myself ,and some of the most talented builders we have on the board have offered to help the dude.

I'm still confused, on why blake has not spoken up yet?
    he seemed happy with it on his other thread,and seems to be learning allot from this board with the amount of questions and threads he has had in last few months, which is great, that's the way we learn.

again I'm not calling you out or trying to be a dick on purpose.

if you look hard enough , i do believe there is a way to close your own posts, or a simple pm to a mod will do it also.

23. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Like I have been saying it's not my place to name name's.I have built a few cars over the last 25 years and have worked at a bunch of shops too. The vehicle is at the shop now so we will see if they fix the problems I pointed out and almst got into a fight over. I talked to the person and after all is said and done they will come on here and say who it is, what shop it's at now and what if any legal actions have been taken. In the day of instant gratification it's sometimes hard to have to wait things out. So as my father use to say " hold your horses mister and slow down". If it was up to me I would out the shop. I would make a website so when you googled their name my site would pop up and show the work.

24. He went back there a THIRD time? WOW

25. The drama is really confusing me. If it was Blake, there should not be a problem stating so, as he already has stated who the shop was, etc. SIMPLY say yes or no as to Blake. You seem to be playing some sort of game here ......... or ....... is it me ??

Anyone else feeling the same way ?

26. ronotron

ronotron

I'm confused too... We all know Blake's story and who the shop is that did the work, and re-work, so there is really no need for all the apparent secrecy. I also find it odd that the OP started this thread to get HAMB members to confirm what he thought were dodgy welds??

Blind Freddy could tell you the work in the pics is terrible.

27. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Threads like this SUCK. Nobody tells anything about the pics posted, it's just a Drama thread.
    If the shop named has a problem with the craftsmanship being shown, then they shouldn't be charging money for their work. If the craftsmanship is awesome, they shouldn't be ashamed of their work being shown.
    It's obvious that the work sucks, so what now?:confused:

28. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I'd spill the beans on that shop's name, someone could get hurt or killed. This is more than a social matter now.

29. There, fixed it for you. Its not your truck. Its not your welding/work. You didnt work on it or fix it. You wont say the shops name to protect your fellow Hamb brothers. Everyone who has ever seen a good weld, knows those arent it. Even the trucks owner doesnt care enough about this thread to chime in.

Even the TITLE reads "Help a fellow HAMBER OUT!!! ". How exactly????

THIS THREAD IS USELESS.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.