Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old school aluminum 5 slots

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gromit, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Gromit

Gromit

So I just got a funky new (and only slightly OT) E-100 Boogie Van with some awesome wheels. Awesome wheels that have seen better days.
    The corossion is really nasty on these. I have never had to clean up wheels like this, so looking for experienced opinions.

Where do I start? I know there's aluminum in there somewhere wanting to shine.
    :eek:

2. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Blast, sand, polish.

If the pitting is really bad you might stop after the blasting. ;)

3. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

yeah . . . polish is only going to get you so far on those. Sandblasting will clean up the pits.

4. You are going to have a lot of hours ahead of you sanding & polishing, after you blast them. So I would make sure the media is very fine, unless you like sanding and polishing!

5. Gromit

Gromit

Apreciate it :) Never thought of blasting lol! That should save some time.

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if you want them polished do not sand blast them.... maybe glass bead. is there a picture here that I can't see?

7. I think he is trying to avoid posting something that may be deemed OT.

Blasting should be soda blasting and not sand, glass bead if you must.

if they are just funky and not pitted then jewlers rouge and a buffing wheel will help.

Let me find you a link there this question came up about a week ago and had some really good products and responses.

here check this out for some ideas:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=742293&highlight=simichrome

8. Gromit

Gromit

I
    ll post the wheels when i get a chance. I actually scratched some of the "funk" off them with a fingernail lol!

Van's a late 60's body style.. who'd know :p

9. Gromit

Gromit

Fronts not too bad.. the backs suck
    (both pictures are the backs)

Attached Files:

10. tommyganly

tommyganly
    from seaford de

i took and wet sanded mine

11. I don't know if I can find a photo of my brother's [Jangleguy here on the HAMB] wheels on his old Morris. He took many hours filing off the sharp corners around and inside the windows and removing the sharp edges on the lips and windows ...then sanded with an aggressive grit paper, working his way down to 400 wet-dry with WD-40...a TON of work but cost was the major factor.
    Great look!

Attached Files:

12. god damn ,show this van :)

13. 26 roadster

26 roadster

jack up the vehicle jack stands, put in gear and start with rough sandpaper then on to finer grades. gets the biggest part done quickly then detain the rest off the vehicle by hand. I used lug covers and spinners to eliminate the centers, I am lazy.

14. Take 'em to a wheel refinisher, you'll be glad you spent the money..
    They need to be turned on a wheel lathe and polished properly, do not sandblast them whatever you do.

15. larrydawg

larrydawg
    from kansas

my finned wheels got like that from setting.... Im a machinist so I took em to work and chucked em in a lathe and polished them out with scotch brite then clear coated them with a clear.
    LarryDawg