Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Just bought a 49 Topolino!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tarlo, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Tarlo

Tarlo

The other night a mate asked me why I chose the big ugly right angled cage. My reply was to go look up the Winged Express. It's so kooky can't help but love it.

Attached Files:

2. Tarlo

Tarlo

A big day yesterday and it was quite a milestone! The engine left the engine stand next to the couch where it's sat idle for 5 years, was reunited wit the gearbox, and is sitting quite happily in the chassis. The motor plates have been cut to size and we have it in its correct position, so I can measure up for the tailshaft.

I forgot to take photos of how the plates are attached to the chassis, but we're using the same method as top fuel cars, which uses a 6mm tab welded to a piece of 1 1/2" moly tube cut down the middle to create a saddle that sits on the top chassis rail. The saddle is mated to the plates with a 1/2" bolt, and attached to the chassis using Competition Engineering positive grip band clamps - a fancy hose clamp really - this way the engine and box location can be easily tuned. Pretty cool system.

We are waiting for rear axle bearings still, and hope to have the car on the ground as a roller by next weekend.

Here are a couple of shots to update things.

Attached Files:

3. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Awsome Tarlo! with a small block Ford no less. Very nicely done!

4. Tarlo

Tarlo

Here's a shot of the chassis saddles, sitting there loosely.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  5. Tarlo

Tarlo

Got the dzus buttons in for the seat. We'd never used these before, and seeing as there will be a heap of them holding the tinwork in, we thought we'd start with something simple.

Attached Files:

6. Tarlo

Tarlo

Pressed new bearings onto the axles and assembled the brakes. We're using Strange four pot calipers, they're nice, really light kit, although I have to admit they're billet - not very traditional.

Original Airheart would be nice, but I have to settle for what my wallet can handle.

Attached Files:

7. Tarlo

Tarlo

Another milestone! It's a roller - and a roller makes for a happy man. I got to do a few Fred Flintstone runs down the driveway...

Apologies for the bad phone photos, I'll be getting a mate who knows how to shoot properly take some shots for me during the week.

Used a block and tackle to hoist it off the gig. It was pretty cool to seeing it floating up there.

It's fantastic motivation to get going on the million other things to do on the list.

I din't think we'd have time to get it to the roller stage before Christmas, now I'm dreaming of getting the body on before New Years... Like I said, dreaming.

Attached Files:

8. This is one very outstanding project, thanks for taking the time to share it with us all.:D

9. Looking good, now let's see it with the body on the chassis.

10. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

AAA+++ Tradition combined with modern common sense - awesome! Thanks for sharing.

11. Tarlo

Tarlo

Got the body down off the gantry this weekend and mocked it up. Took measurements for the hinging and firewall and started to neaten the wheel radiuses.

I'll have to shorten the shock towers and brace them again to accommodate the nose/grill, they're way too tall. I've known it for a while, but we welded them in the tallest position because we knew we could always shorten everything. Apart from that discrepancy, the rest of the measurements are correct...

Lot's to do, but thought I'd add a pic for anyone out there who's interested.

It's nice to see it like this and keep dreaming.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  12. looking great, keep at it and you might be done by DOTD in late march....

Just out of curiousity, what sizes are the rims and tyres you're running?

Cheers, and great kick-butt car,

Drewfus:)

13. Tarlo

Tarlo

There's no way it'll be ready for the Day of the Drags in March... ha ha. I might debut it at the December 2011 nostalgias, we have a huge amount of work to go.

The front 12 spokes are 15 x 4.5 (they often listen as 15 x 3.5, depending on where the measurement is taken - they aren't the skinny ones which are 18 x 2.5) with Hoosiers 4.5 x 23, and the rears are 15x10 with Hoosier 10.5 x 29.5 with about a 13.5" bag.

14. Tarlo

Tarlo

Wow, it's almost 2 years since I've posted.

Times have been very tough, and I have been completely consumed in catching up... cheap things like gardening have gotten me through.

Things are starting to look up, so I'm hoping to get back to to the old girl later in the year.

We have made some small progress, though I haven't touched the car for at least 6 months.

Here are some shitty pics, sorry guys...

We formed the firewall to conform to the A pillar. The tin work will hide most of the lower section of it, and there is still work to do to finish it, but I thought people might like to see it, as curved firewalls a kinda rare. You'll also see the bellhousing bolted up that almost sent me to the poorhouse! They aren't really visible but the pedals and their kickplates are in too. the kick plates, like just about everything else in the car are mounted using dzus buttons so everything is accessable.

Next up I made a big ugly Ohio George inspired scoop. It is probably too tall but I figure I can always cut it down...

We also tacked up the funny car hinge at the rear of the car. This is integrating more contemporary hinging techniques, but in the end it's the most practical solution. In the bottom of the shot you can get a glimpse of the battery/spew tank tray I fabbed up.

Next up we tacked together the tunnel/tailshaft hoop. It's fitted with clevis ends and can be removed with a little shunting about. Again it's all moly, and local cars are running sixes with similar set-ups, so we should have little to worry about.

The last thing we tackled was re-building the diff housing. The one I bought was slightly off-centre, and I want the tailshaft running as true as possible, so I went went through the arduous task of cutting the tubes out, then we built this jig to keep everything true. I wish I got a shot of everything bolted up on the jig, but I guess it tells the story.

Everything is now mocked up throughout the driveline and fits in a gratifying manner. Ha ha.

The rear brakes are also plumbed, but unfortunately I don't have any pics.

The chassis needs to be pulled apart and finish welded, and the sad truth about the last 18 months is that there isn't a huge amount of time involved to finish it, but my time has been even less than my motivation.

The body, however, is a different story.

Attached Files:

15. Tarlo i can relate to the money thing...it gets to where lack of cash can kill ones motivation ...love the firewall...i m.doing about the same thing..except mine is on the front of the A pillar..i welded 3/4" x 1/8" wall tubing down the front and pie cut it to match the fiat s curve...i ve made a template for.the firewall...just have to get a few other things re vamped.then i can install it...

You ever sell your roof..there was a few guys here wanting a roof...
    Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

16. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

In the same boat here, if I had the money I'd by the roof (but the shipping would be the real killer).

17. Kenneth i had shipping at $325....and that was picked and crated and delivered to the departure point....and i was shipping a few other small items in with the.roof...
    i think if ya wasn t in a big hurry ya might be.able to get some.down under help thru here...

18. GasserTodd

GasserTodd

Good to see you havent given up.

I too have a Topo project (box chassis and tupperware body with full roof and opening doors) that I have done nothing on for 5 years.... We did our own mould off my wifes car and did three bodies, but none of the three of us ever really got started.

When you are done & the cars being raced at an Oz nostalgia meet, I will jump on the plane and come watch you - so you will have your own international fan/stalker:D:D

Attached Files:

19. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

I'm in no hurry, but doctors have been getting my money lately. I have TMJ on the left side of my jaw has been getting more painfull (some days it's not really bad, some days it keeps me in bed with meds for pain, and muscle spasms). I had a MRI done on it yesterday, but had to also have a CT scan before the MRI to make sure there wasn't any metalic fragments in my eyes. No fun.

Tarlo, and GasserTodd the Topo's are looking good.

20. Tarlo

Tarlo

Hi Kenneth.

I still have the roof, I'm holding onto it for whoever wants it. If I ever make it to the States I'll bring it with me. :)

21. Man you did a lot of work to get where you are and clearly had a planned vision to get you there. Nice job so far !

22. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

That sounds good to me. :)

23. Tarlo, here s a bit of inspiration for ya....besides i know there s always something that can be done without spendin the coins...hell i vot lots to weld up...just that the money thing makes me just not want to work on.the fiat....
    Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

24. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Tarlo,
    Your Fiat is really looking good. I like the chassis and the Ford power. The Topolino nose and how you made it work with the 49 looks like it is meant to be there. Nice Job.
    It is funny how we have all been struggling financially to have the money to put toward our cars. I have been trying to make small steps with my fiat although I spend more time trying to make a living.
    Keep up the great work.

25. Tarlo

Tarlo

Thanks for the kind words and motivation guys.

I have been so consumed with catching up, it seems like I've lost a lot of perspective of what we've achieved on this project. The simple matter of keeping up with the relatively small amount of rent for my little share of the workshop this year has been a major challenge, as all of my other priorities have asked huge questions of whether I need a project like this.

In the end, across the board, I've had to make concessions to my hopes and dreams that I've spent years trying to built, and this has proved to be much tougher than simply being totally broke. I credit my missus for helping me through this period, as anyone who's been through this knows intimately how hard it is to not get sunk into a gut bucket situation.

Anyway, there are other elements that have been completed in that last productive period that I haven't taken photos of, like the parachute mount. I'll try to document things more thoroughly when (hopefully) I get back to work on it.

By the way, I have also saved the dash for any Topolino enthusiasts if they want it.

26. deuce1932

deuce1932
    from Australia

Hey Tarlo.. any progress..?

needing of some inspiration to get going on mine again.

gotta love the Topolino's

27. Tarlo

Tarlo

No, nothing to report on, unfortunately.

There has been a bust up between the two guys who have the workshop, so I've been unable to get in. Not only that but the first three months of this year were dire as far as work is concerned so I've been dead broke.

I'm on the lookout for a new workshop space in Sydney where I can stick the little car in the corner.

Fingers crossed something comes along...

28. bustingear

bustingear

Sure you don't mean a peroni or moretti?

29. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

Tarlo, I just read the entire thread and I have to admit that your build is awesome. Years ago I bought a 49 Topo in a guys backyard for $100.00. The car never made it home. A friend saw the car made an offer. I smiled and the car went home with him. It never left the trailer until it got to his house. Good Memories........... Jeff

30. small car + BIG HP = Major Fun!

I really like this build! :cool: