Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. .....thanks F F .......thats a few more ideas for me to work on......(I agree there has to be allowance for engine movement)......

2. easter

easter

So this was a wreck at Macon? The right rear is a slick (with a damaged wheel), so I'm guessing asphalt. The left rear is a dirt tire, but I imagine it was put on after the wreck to let the car roll. There's a hole in the nose, but the left rear and tail appear to have the most damage. The left side nerf bar is bent straight up while the rear nerf is bent straight down. It looks like somebody hit him right in front of the left rear and climbed up and over the left rear and came down over his tail taking most of the body with it. What I was really glad to NOT see, was damage to the windscreen or the roll bar and any sign of fire. Has Benny said anything about this wreck?

One year at Allentown, the center bolts on the front leaf spring broke on Dad's Trevis (not Floyd's fault!) and the axle shot over to one side - which spun the pitman arm upside down. That meant his steering was reversed. This happened while at speed down the backstretch. When he turned to get out next to the outside wall and raised his arm, the car turned straight left and hit the inside wall. Now, he was sitting sideways with his tail against the inside fence at the entry into #3 in a huge cloud of dust. This is not a place anyone would want to be in - especially in an open cockpit car with no cage. There were a number of trailing cars and one hit him on the right side of the cockpit, went up over the cockpit and roll bar and came down across the tail. The other car's rearend with tires still attached was laying across Dad's lap. He had just bought a new Bell helmet that was still gray - well except for the tire mark from the other car. Dad's head had been pinned against the roll bar by the other car's tire during it's journey up and over Dad. After the corner workers picked up the rearend assembly, Dad got out and walked to a truck and they gave him a ride to the pits. The other guy thought he'd killed Dad and was actually walking up pit lane towards #1. Dad thought the other driver had to have been hurt, too and he felt responsible. He was walking down pit lane towards #4. They ran into each other again (but this time a helluva lot easier) in the pits. They hugged each other and Dad kissed the guy on the cheek while the crowd laughed and applauded.

Back then, when an open cockpit sprint car with no cage gets drilled in the side like Dad did and appearantly like Benny did, the results were usually grim. That's what happened to Harry Kern in the Little 500. He spun in #2 to avoid a wrecked car and was hit in the side and the other car rode up and over Harry. He and his family had been staying next door to us in the motel.

I'd be anxious to hear Benny's take on his wreck. Thanks. Bob Easter

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  3. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Black Vette, in this picture you can see an exhaust mount that isn't being used. Looks like it is attached to the roll bar mounting bracket. This car had had an Offy for most of its life, but now had a chevey with short stacks.

http://www.thevintageracer.com/nise4/legends12.htm

4. Jim....thank you so much........well worth looking at the other photos.....so cool....

5. spendingtheirinheritance

spendingtheirinheritance

Does anyone Know if the Jungle Park Reunion is still on for Saturday the 13th?

6. baldtireman

baldtireman

He had a tapered axle for me.... I never got to complete the deal.... Neat guy...:(

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  7. lobuktruk

lobuktruk
    from Cayuga In.

Yes, Saturday 9am-3pm.

8. ..he also sent me my dry sump tank.....none of my hot rodding buddies have seen anything like it,and its parts like the grill, tank, and fuel filler that make the car............

Attached Files:

9. easter

easter

Black vette 59 - In the last picture you posted, your car already looks like its going fast. I could see you screaming down the backstretch on a mile dirt track pushing forward on the harnesses gritting you teeth thinking: "Turn #3 is mine!" No, I haven't been drinking, but I really like the stance of your car.

It's also got to be a little spooky rolling that car out on such an incline. Has it ever wanted to get away from you down that steep driveway?

10. .....easter....its never got away yet,but with all the mountains we have here in Wales,thats not a very steep driveway just a ''small gradient''......:)

11. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Stan, When is your party this year? Denny Z.

12. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

Denny,
    It is on Sunday Nov. 11. It is always the second Sunday in Nov. Hope to see you there.

13. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Thanks Stan, Hope to come again this year I always have a great time......I say hope because Nov 11th is our anniversary.......I know, I'll just bring my wife, how's that. Denny Z.

14. KK500

KK500

Bob, another pic shows the handwritten label. When i took these pics of the album, i remember Benny saying that it was the only time he had body damage. he also said that they repaired the car on the trailer at a motel to make the Tampa show.
    The last pics is Benny, myself and his engine guy Frank, at Toledo 3 years ago.

Will call Benny if i get a chance.
    Jim

Attached Files:

15. easter

easter

All of those photos look like yesterday. Benny still looks the same - remember when I said he was a "forward leaner"? He still is. He looks happy. You didn't just prop Frank up against the fence for the photo did you? I noticed the differences in the paint, too. I remember the white paint and I remember when he showed up with that "pearl" color. After helping unload the truck, I'd usually take off on a scouting run around the pits (remember I was only 10 or so). One time I came back and told Dad: "Benny Rapp has some new fancy paint - really nice - he's in the money now."

Also, notice in the very first photo all of the people in the stands. Those are the "extra" stands outside of the main covered grandstand. That's how I remember Tampa: packed.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  16. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I have a car construction question(s):

1. Did the steering wheel on single-seaters ever get offset to the left of the chassis centerline to enhance driver ergonomics?

2. If the steering wheel was offset did the cowl flare also get offset or was the bodywork around the steering wheel symmetric to the chassis?

I am asking this because I set the wheel 1/2" to the left of chassis centerline (lateral distance to the left frame rail is one inch less than the distance to the right frame rail).

Thank you for your input.

6re6

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. ....looking good FF........

18. TommyA19

TommyA19

The Lobitz affair
    November 11, 2012:

The annual Stan Lobitz Movie party, lunch, auction and sit down dinner, with all of the proceeds going to the Eastern Museum of Motor Racing (EMMR).

Lobitz Catering Hall – Route 940 Hazelton, Pa. – located directly behind the Fairway Chevrolet dealership on Route 309 North.
    One never knows who might show up – like Eddie Sachs, Jr. or Arlen Kurtis, son of noted race car builder Frank Kurtis – who have been guests in recent years. Chris Economaki was always there. A good time is had by all with lots of bench racing and b*ll busting being done throughout the day. Vendors are also present.
    Things get off to a somewhat slow start at around 9:00 AM, and then it’s an all day thing that ends with the sit down dinner usually a little after 5:00.

Best part: it’s FREE.

19. Paul Martens

Paul Martens

I am almost finished with the restoration of this Edmunds sprint car. Does anyone know where I might aquire a grill for it? The nose is a 4 bar Edmunds nose from Pruietts in PA. I have a cast Halibrand but it is about 20% too large for this nose. Thanks, Paul Martens Fairview Okla
    Well I'm new to posting and I can not get my photos to load. I'd like to share them with this group. PM

20. Paul, did you try Joe Lingle of PA?

21. I used a Hillegass grill on my Edmunds nose. Turned out great!

22. Richard Harvey in OkC might also be able to find a lead from his old Cali days.

23. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

spike ruth.........i have sent you a p/m

24. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Meen, haven't seen Spike on here for quite sometime.

25. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

Oh? I wonder if anyone has his phone number? A friend of mine would like to talk to him about a old car he may know about. Appreciate anything that can be done. Thanks Jim

26. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Hey fella's. Good to see ya'll going at it harder than ever.

Hope Spike is good. I like that ol' boy.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

I am looking for any info and more importantly Pictures of a Sprint car called the CAPITAL PLATING SPL. Jimmy Bryan evidentaly drove it a few times in the 50's. It was a 2.5" round main tube chassis with support tubes under.

Thanks!

J Shaw

27. Faas Family

Faas Family
    from California

How come little fauss pictures don't show up! you have written there is photos but none show up.Are you hiding them...Come on share some Please!!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  28. racer5c

racer5c

Welcome Faas! your uncle Leonard always had beautiful and fast race cars!!

29. And built pretty good lawn mowers too. :)

30. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Well, maybe these will show up................Rich

Attached Files: