Register now to get rid of these ads!

Small block Chevy guys...what do I have?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrModelT, Oct 15, 2012.

1. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

Hold on Hot Rod!! I don't care if it has .02 heads we need to get to place where we can grab a few gears and see what happens. Maybe the small block 302 might spank that 327. All in good fun you in NW Floridia maybe milton?? I just could not pass on this:D.LOL

2. 53mercury

53mercury

Ah yes, Special Ford engine. Obviously the worst one they ever built. Mike

3. MrModelT

MrModelT

Great info TR! I think this is a valuable piece of info that I may just end up doing before I decide to fire it. What is the best way to do this with out pulling the shavings in the engine WITHOUT pulling the bottom end out?

Agreed. If I do decide to send it off down the road, I would prefer a H.A.M.B.er to have it and treat it as my Grandpa did.

Thank you kindly for the very thorough FG. I believe the manifold is a Tarantula, but I would have to confirm.

4. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

MrModelT when can we get the extra pictures..
    as were still here trying to help you find out things.
    well as least some of us are.
    I <heavy on the I --- I am so good at what i do i feel the need to pat myself on the back all day... <--- see the sarcasm there ?
    oh ya and about those threads, When you can, put the engine is on an engine stand, then you can turn it to the down side
    for countersinking holes. The chips will fall down, use a vacuum cleaner for clean up.
    Or use bearing grease on the countersink, the grease will grab the chips you've cut.
    there are 17 bolts to a head. A slow revving drill will countersink nicely.
    Cast iron is soft. so afterwords chase the threads, using the shop vacuum best you can and
    to remove any remaining metal. The intake looks to be clean can you see if it says anything?

:cool:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  5. MrModelT, if the engine is on a engine stand you can simply rotate the cylinder bank that you are countersinking the holes to be upside down. The small chips will just fall to the ground. A shop vac over each hols when you are done will do the trick.

Now if the engine is not on a rotating engine stand, put wheel bearing grease in the " flutes " of the countersink, this will trap the shavings or chips in the grease. Yes time consuming, cleaning and replacing the grease 34 times, but it gets the job done. It only takes a couple of quick and slow revs to get a nice countersink in the hole so go slow. Cast iron is very soft. Also after chasing the threads, again use the shop vac best you can and get out any remaining debris.

I agree manifold could be Tarantula, if I remember correctly some early ones had a symbol of the Tarantula was cast into the manifold, maybe it's hidden under some grease or road grime.

$$$$$$$$$ correction I believe the SCORPION manifold had a fiqure cast into it $$$$$$$$$$

Best of luck, that is a great piece you have there.

6. Ha Ha!

Yea you're right! :D

With all these numbers flying around it'll be interesting to see what the cubes actually are. ;)

7. Fixed it. :p

8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you were closer I'd just come over and throw some $$$$ at you and take it home. Good stuff there, old school for sure, but good none the less.

9. Gman0046

Gman0046

Did someone actually think this was a Ford engine?

10. I'm finishing up a Chevrolet engine now that has the distributor in the front.....................it's driven by a small gimore belt so why split hairs. :rolleyes:

11. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

:eek:,,,

12. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

I heavy on the I I am so good at what i do i feel the need to pat myself on the back all day see the sarcasm there ?

13. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

I heavy on the II am so good at what i do i feel the need to pat myself on the back all day see the sarcasm there ?

14. fastlane666

fastlane666

those heads are factory chevy performance heads with 202 and 1.6 valves. the pistons are high compression atleast 11 to 1. however that block does not have a pcv or road tube port cast into the rear of the block. that tells me it was cast after 1967. also it is probably a large journal crank shaft. with out part numbers i'm guessing 350 cu. in. if you could share a picture of the back of the crank i could confirm it 100%. if the casting on the back of the block behind the left bank reads 3970010 you almost definitly have a 350. oh and those heads will need to be redone to run unleaded. you need stainless steel valves.

15. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

ah yep

16. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

theres a 69 327 in the back with casting ending in 010

17. BOOB

BOOB
    from Taylor, TX

You guys are killing me

18. teejay99

teejay99

...should be a prize for whomever gets it right ....coupla Happy Meals from Mickey D's !

T

19. I would say it's a small block Chevy - must be a Corvette motor that came stock in '32 Fords. :rolleyes:

20. Man you guys are just killin' MrModelT's thread.

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I posted earlier about the rectangle cast into the intake in the photo of the carb but deleted it, as I had some incorrect info in there. The early tarantulas I saw didnt have the rectangle, but I have since found photos of tarantulas with the "TM-1" cast inside a raised rectangle just like the Torkers. However, on the Tarantulas I saw with a rectangle, theres a fair bit of space between the edge of the rectangle and the T. You can just barely see it in this photo, so I am kind of winging it here, but the proximity of the T to the edge of the rectangle makes me think that might be a Torker.

And I agree 100% about this being a great piece. Looks like a really nicely built high end 70s small block

Attached Files:

22. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

and only time will tell

23. coupemerc

coupemerc

I could be wrong but I think that the Tarantula had an air gap below the runners. The Torker did not.

24. Mac30

Mac30
    1. S.F.C.C.

Nice motor... looks like a well built early 350. Motor was more and likely decked (shaved) for the oring install thats why no numbers are on the pad. I would put money on it that the heads are shaved also. If so Compression ratio is going to be a up there for pump gas. If the heads are milled your compression will be more 11 to 1... how much depends on how much meat the heads had taken off them.
    Would like to see head/crank/main cap casting #s...

25. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thank you both for the Info! The manifold is clean, but I will have to look at it to confirm exactly what it is.

As for new pics...I will try to grab a few tonight If I can swing over to Mom and Dad's ...but most likely it will be this weekend.

Distance is relative...you're ONLY in Michigan :D

</heavy>

26. Model T1

Model T1

Originally Posted by 53mercury [​IMG]
    Ah yes, Special Ford engine. Obviously the best one they ever built. Mike

Glad I'm not the only member here who's not always serious. MrModelT has figured out who knows these Ford engines and who's just blowin steam up his tailpipe!
    This has been proven to be a special Mustang engine and like millions of other orange Ford engines, works well in Fords of all years and body styles. Almost like they were made for Fords.
    The reasonthis thread continues is because it is rare that Chevy guys get to discuss Ford engines this much. Ain't it great we have so much in common. Now if only those Mopar boys could be so friendly!:)

27. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

:cool:your welcome mr

28. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

You can also use shaving cream to fill any openings you want to cover. It will vacuum up easy too.

The Scorpion is a higher rise intake design (& the little figure in it too).

29. BOOB

BOOB
    from Taylor, TX

What the hell are you talking about? I'm worried about you sir. I read this as you're dead serious. If you're joking you're doing a poor job.

30. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA