Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aussie Icon - SLOPERS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oz40, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Look forward to seeing some photos of the Pontiac Ross,...and hopefully seeing it around the "local" streets :)

2. RHB785

RHB785

G'day 49Caddy,
    Where do you call "local"? Do you mean Newcastle? You don't say where you're from.

Regards,
    Ross.

3. Hi Ross, Yes I am in Newcastle.

4. RHB785

RHB785

Good to know mate. I'll be flying back to Newie tomorrow. I've had a quote from VIP car transport for a very reasonable rate; less than half what I was expecting. The last couple of nights I've been staying on Magnetic Island because Townsville was hosting the AFL Masters and the Rah Rah on Saturday night. Got to photograh the feeding of the rainbow lorikeets this arvo at Bungalow Bay YHA hostel where I've been staying over here. What a noisey lot they are. Had one land on the peak of my cap, hang upside down and look at me as if to say "well, come on, you know what time it is so where's mine?" Cheeky devils.

Regards,
    Ross.

5. Ha ha, sounds like a fun trip Ross and good news on the transport. I drove up to Mackay in July -It's a long way up there!!

6. Weasel

Weasel

I'm digging this '36 Olds sloper....

[​IMG]

tub1 likes this.
  7. Weasel

Weasel

And again....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. RHB785

RHB785

G'day 49CaddyCoupe,
    Well, Im home now. 2 hours 10 minutes Townsville/Sydney. Must have been a good tail wind on the way home and a good head wind on the way up there because the pilots didn't reduce power much on the way up there (also we left Sydney 2 1/2 hours late so they were probably giving her a bit) but on the way home when we reached cruising altitude the power was reduced consderably. I was surprised how far out they reduce power and begin the let down. I'll put some pics of the Pontiac and the rainbow lorikeets up when I work out how to post pics. Different forums I'm a member of have different pic posting procedures.

Weasel,
    That Oldsmobile is beautiful. I'm guessing by the Volgren double decker coach in the background it's somewhere in Australia. Do you know where?

Regards,
    Ross.

9. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I remember seeing photos of a 49 or 50 Merc as a sloper, don't know if it was Aussie or Ford image,but it was damn cool looking. Anyone else??

10. RHB785

RHB785

Just a quick post in reply to what some others have said earlier in this thread.

LabRat,
    There were just over 9000 Slopers built in Australia between 1935 and 1941. I've counted up the official GM-H figures which came to just over 7100. The rest were made by Ford and Richards Motor Body Builders in Adelaide for Chrysler, Hudson and Nash.

Regards,
    Ross.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
    Spoggie likes this.
  11. ehdubya

ehdubya

'This photo was taken on April 7, 2012 in Mount Gambier'

12. oz40

oz40

Another nice 1939 Ford Sloper from years gone by, at one of our pioneering drag strip

Attached Files:

13. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Why that's a slippery sloper you have there, mate! Thanx, you've got a cute ute, too.

No, I didn't say it. Gary

14. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Really love these, especially that graceful Olds. They remind me of the American "Victoria" body style.

15. oz40

oz40

Thanks mate, do appreciate, its been a long haul to start on the projects, but have finally started up on the Sloper.
    Its threaded up on Fordbarn... The ute is next.

16. Anyone care to update since the red X came into being ?
    1935 Sloper,.jpg 1935 Sloper.jpg Oldsmobile,.jpg Oldsmobile.jpg Chevy_Sloper,,.jpg 1938-chevrolet-sloper-sedan.jpg

17. Guess which Sloper has the blown flathead. 1939 Chevrolet.jpg 1939 Ford Sloper..jpg 1939 Ford Sloper.jpg

Spoggie likes this.
  18. Mid/late 20's.. before slopers ('35).

19. Well heres one that just showed up on Pre-War-Car. Not an Aussie but a Euro sloper :D , a 1932 Belgian built 6 cylinder Imperia with a 1935 Czech ( Prague ) body. Note all the rally badges on the headlight bar and hood sides.

Imperia 1.jpg Imperia 2.jpg Imperia 3.jpg Imperia 4.jpg

ehdubya, Spoggie and SR100 like this.