Register now to get rid of these ads!

Would you run these tires?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daddio211, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

2. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

Inflate them to about a hundred psi..... If they hold up you should probably chunk them anyways.... Either way your wasting your time messing with these but not if you want a loud pop and a new pair of shorts....

3. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

Old tires are only good for moving cars around the shop! Couldent you imagine doin 70 on the highway and have one of them blow out? You would be the next guy the fire fighters were scraping off a tree with a putty knife and hammer.

4. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I had a front tire blow when I was doing about 60 and towing a trailer. No biggie, just took the foot off the pedal and let everything slow down. Changed to the spare and off I went. No big loss of steering. I think the thing that saved me was there wasn't much traffic. However, I would like to see some actual research regarding this topic. Is there anything available. Not that I doubt all the posts but I like to see data re: decomposition and how it relates to storage, UV exposure, etc. I wonder if the big problem is merely age and why or UV exposure, or perhaps other factors that come into play.

5. GREASER815

GREASER815

Why would you even cond]sider it? Whats your life worth?

6. don't risk it !

7. I tried once to run old tires...lost a 6 inch long strip of tread on a busy highway! I was lucky the tire didn't blow out! After this incident...I decided, "Never again!!!"

8. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Read Don's post #19 regarding the difference between trailer and passenger cars tires. And please, don't complain about the price of new tires. As they say, "What's your ass worth?" Not to mention family and potential innocent vitims.

9. Dr.Kerry

Dr.Kerry

Same here, just to take em around the block and burn em to the cords!!!!! Smoke em if ya got em!!!!:D

10. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I have ran worse but I know you have a family so no?

11. Crackett

Crackett

Drop the clutch and smoke those suckers man.

12. daddio211

daddio211

If you'd read my posts you'd know I did read Don's post and every other person who has taken the time to chime in.

I don't know if your "too expensive" comment was directed at me, but I certainly hope not.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

13. paleot

paleot
    from louisiana

Heck even if it dont kill you when they do come apart,have you ever seen the damage an old tire coming apart at speed can do to your body work? I would not run them.
    Tony

14. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

I have old tires on 5 of my cars for 3 years now and no problems. I had 2 new tires blow out on me in the same day a few years ago, so go figure. If you are nervous about it, don't run em. If not, then go ahead.

15. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

NO,the only place i'd run em is in the burnout competition. A few years ago coming back from Back to The 50's we had a friend with an old unrestored 53' cranbrook who's front tire blew out. The tread separated and took out the headlight bucket and beat up the fender. Those old tires are called "MAYPOPS" for a reason and age and ozone can't be making them any better.

16. Were you "there" in the 30's, 40's 50's and 60's?

17. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

18. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

I bet they will smoke like no ones bussnis

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a family. Please don't drive in my neighborhood.

20. bridger

bridger

First smart post on here ..........

21. Nope, they look bad ass and I would hang them in my garage, but I wouldnt run them.

Also, how could a hotrodder run a 40+ year old tire in the 50's? Real oldschool hotrodders ran old tires from 1910 cars on their hot rods?

22. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

I understand trying to keep things looking period correct and traditional but safety has to come first. I wouldn't risk running them.

23. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

Don't sell 'em either! They are still cool wall decor or prop tires. Not to add the shitstorm, butI will say I know the time and $$ you're putting into the new project. Human life aside, you don't wanna undo any of your hard work.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

24. Daddio
    Aside from everyone's answers to your question I believe that you answered it yourself right here in bold.

Rule # 27 in hot rodding: when all else fails use common sense.

25. sololobo

sololobo

No ~sololobo~

26. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

I'd run 'em..........right out to my burn barrel

27. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

only in town in the summer

28. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

use them for burnouts only!

smoke um' if you got um'!

-danny

29. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm a bit twisted up reading all of this. Good ol 6 ply 700s, they don't look fresh, but they look better than what I've towed home for hundreds of miles in the past. What would I do? Dismount the fuckin things and make an informed decision. If the bead area around the rim looks shitty, hard and rusty, pass. If it looks ok, remount them with new tubes and enough powder to allow some tube movement to settle in, balance them and go for it.

Still all of this "Oh my god you're gonna die!!!" and "You're gonna kill my family!!", I mean seriously fellas, WTF?!? This year we had a flat on a $300K Packard at 65MPH on a hot ass Fla freeway. Nobody died. Not a scratch on the car. Jerked the spare outta the sidemount and swapped it. Yeah, just like you'd have done back in the day. Where's all this fear coming from? I had a blowout on a DD at 70MPH in the left front. That was 3yrs ago so this must be my ghost typing? Get a fuckin grip already. I didn't see him ask if they were safe for the salt flats at 200MPH. Maybe some of the "pussy" comments aren't too far off? Just in case you think I'm full of shit on the Fla flat:

[​IMG]

30. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams

i would not run them on the highway. maybe if you want try them out on country roads an low speed to see if they fly apart. have some spares too. i would have no problem using them on a farm truck, farm trailer or tractor front but probably all there good for.