Register now to get rid of these ads!

Would you run these tires?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daddio211, Oct 15, 2012.

1. SIX_94Y

SIX_94Y
    from Australia

Seems strange everyone is scared to run these? Are they dedicated trailer tyres? Is there such a thing? Or did they just happen to be used on a trailer? Personally I have had new tyres let go, so while you may have less chance of it happening with a new set, it still may, as for driving hard you'll work out the adhesion limits of old tyres pretty quick and it would most likely slow you down and keep the condition of the tyres in the back of your mind. I have run worse and I'd like to think I drive my cars hard too on my 50 Pontiac I have had to let the tyre down to remove the crap stuck behind the bead after a spirited drive. Good old non safety rims!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. Bad Merc

Bad Merc
    from Chi-town

Your crazy -saw some tires come apart and they all happen differently! Wouldnt put my life or someone's elses at risk for a lousy $500 bucks!@

3. Ha Ha Ha.... I like this one Don. :cool:

4. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

I run old tires all the time.. especially old bias plys. Find them on craiglist and at swapmeets , slap them on my car and run the shit out of them. We run a set of old sears wide whites that were bought back in the early 80's on our 55 and those fuckers still hold like champs. Theres no such thing as safety when ur driving a damn 27 T anyway

5. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

"SAFE"??? Then you shouldn't use Bias Ply's altogether. There's a reason tires evolved & proper bias ply dealers sell them with driving restriction warnings.

6. 1928chevycoupe

1928chevycoupe

They will probably just lose air slowly before blowing up, so as long as you carry a can of fix-a-flat, you should be fine. :confused:

Seriously, rollers only.

7. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Having been through a couple of blow outs as i wasnt smart enough to learn from the first its pretty crazy.Both times i was on the road by myself or it could have been deadly.When it happens you have little controll over were the car is headed.Thats all i have to say.

8. daddio211

daddio211

Whoa Nellie... didn't mean to start a shit storm, just wanted confirmation of what I was pretty sure of already.

Three old 17" Firestones going in the classifieds this week. Thanks for all the input fellas.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

9. ClayPigeonKiller

ClayPigeonKiller

I would, but not on any long trips. I'd use them around town and hour long hops.

10. Trailer tires (there IS such a thing, usually has an 'ST' in the number) are NOT constructed for steering use, such could lead to tread separation.

Look at a tire carcass next time you're out an about. These can cause fatal damage, as a long time friend found out.

RIP Al Large 6/2/2012

Cosmo

Your choice in the end, but it could be your end.

11. Truckedup

Truckedup

Those Skidmores are ok around town. Those shitty bias tires are great for laying rubber and fishtailing

12. I don't think these are trailer tires, unless it says so on the sidewall. Most trailer-use tires I've seen are an odd size like 14.5 or 15.5 so you can't put them on regular car wheels.

They look like good old 7.00 x 17 6-ply truck tires. So whatever you put them on will ride like a ... truck. Anything in that condition, I'd pass them up.

Bob

13. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Those old tires are about as dependable as retreads, kinda a roll of the dice . With that being said, i'm running an old set of Union 76 tires on the front of my gasser. No street time, only down the drag strip with no issues ...

14. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

But...it is traditional..

jk...no...don't run em...

15. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

16. daddio211

daddio211

I should really clarify a bit, and should have done so in my very first post.

I put "trailer tires" in quotes because that's what the seller told me they were, not that you all would have known since I didn't tell you. There is no "trailer" designation on the tire anywhere. They are Firestone Deluxe Champion 7.00 x 17 and I knew at the time they were no longer in production, seemingly valuable and I paid that kind of money for them.

My apologies, I would NOT run trailer tires on a car even if that's what the "real traditional hot rodders" have done since Fred Flintstone.

Good read, thanks Don!

Correct Bob, thanks for thoughts.

17. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Yep, slow speeds and short distances I think they'd be fine.

If they were mine though I'd shred them doing roasty-toasty burnouts. Old bias plies smoke real nice! ;)

18. Roadagent2

Roadagent2

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER....unless you have tons of life insurance....oh wait a minute, suicide won't pay insurance!!!!

19. And add one more thing - Don't drive it ANYWHERE NEAR me or my family - cuz if the wreck don't kill you, I will!

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Insurance doesn't cover being stupid.

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Wisenhiemer...:D

22. I agree that those aren't trailer tires - just shitty old rotted tires.
    BUT trailer tires do come in even sizes - I have Goodyear 14" trailer specials on my open car trailer right now!

23. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

What a DUMB fucking question!!!!!!!. Read the other threads on old tires, then cut them up and use them for bumpers on an old pick up truck.

24. You are wrong sir,,there are never any dumb questions,,,only dumb answers! HRP

25. TERPU

TERPU

That's what I think too. Not only the safety part but it's a real bummer when you blow out a tire going anywhere. Especially in a fenderless car. That tire will shred whatever it hits, if you are lucky it's only the car and not you or somebody else. The best case you are stuck with having to now find an old look alike tire and that's not fun either. Those are great rollers and treat them that way. Short hops in town, burnouts close to home, etc. High speeds or heavy corners no waaay. Save up some money and find some new skins. That's the best investment in your car and your life. And to the guy who is gung ho Joe your spirit is recognized but your common sense seems to be overpowered by it at times, I'm right there with you. Some funny commentary in the least for sure this whole thread.

Tim

26. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

I think I got you on this one!!! If there were no dumb questions there would be no dumb answers. :D Larry

27. ArtofHotRod

ArtofHotRod

Would you run these tires? .... NOT IF MY LIFE DEPENDED ON IT !<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

28. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

How do you know? ;)

29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

had a tire with all kinds of tread explode on my motorhome doing 70. bump, bump, bump BAM! I got about a 2 second warning then the tire was gone. they were cracked pretty good and had gone on several 175 mile one way trips with them over a couple years time. lucky for me it was on the rear dually. I would have crashed hard had it been a front tire. never again.

30. flathead okie

flathead okie

I used to buy old tires and recaps back in the 70's. Had two flats at once one night and been buying new tires regularly ever since. :D