Register now to get rid of these ads!

Would you run these tires?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daddio211, Oct 15, 2012.

1. daddio211

daddio211

A few years ago I picked up a set of "trailer tires" mounted on 8 lug split rims. They're old Firestone Deluxe Champions with no wear on them. There were three and I bought them all.

They're old and have "some" weather cracking. I was considering running them on the back of my '27 T Roadster but now having second thoughts based on safety.

Old tires get hard, right? Meaning less traction, right? I do drive my cars pretty hard but don't expect miracles from old tires. That said, would YOU run them on the street?

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

3. Gerg

Gerg

old tires mean new problems

4. No way on the street. They could come apart on you! I would only use them to roll the car around the shop, etc...

5. luckyuhaul

luckyuhaul

6. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

7. 2935ford

2935ford

Yup, but only as rollers or up and down the street for test runs!

8. Don't encourage him!.. :p

9. Shame on you for even asking......

10. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Not only because they are old, but trailer tires are not designed to be run on a car. Absolutely not, if you value your life and your car.

Don

11. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

I would & I do. But I'm Traditional old school like that. And I'm poor. Spending $500 on a pair of new shmankies isn't traditional. It all about BEING Traditional, it's fun & edge'y.

12. williebill

williebill

13. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

being dead isn't fun

14. Very very bad idea. Get new ones, you'll save in the long run.

15. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

think about it 12 people say no 1 goofball says yes please dont run them

16. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Agree with Don and the rest who say no.. Not worth the possiblity of losing your life...

17. Nothing to do with old school,,a blowout on old tires could end up killing you,,or a innocent person you run into when you lose control.

Being traditional is one thing,,,being edgy on old tires sounds like rat rodder mentality. JMHO,, HRP

18. No Fucking way! They fall apart when new and on a trailer. Why were they cheap? Why only 3, because one of them already exploded on someone else. Trailers have even numbers of tires..

19. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

20. Fuck it , what have you got to loose ?
    I mean what's the worst that can happen - really,,,,,

Now you'll hear everything from " no way" to " sure " but only you can make the choice.

If you want to run them .....
    Just make sure that your affairs are in order, your liability insurance is up to date, your life insurance is adequate to provide for your family and cover any of your final expenses and have at it.

21. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

mister traditional ,, are you freakin nuts? unsafe isnt edge'y its stupid,, so come on back with a bunch more dumb comments to try to save face ,, but you know its too late ,, the real hot rodders on this board allready got your number ,, i was there,, and we never said hey i got some old dry rotted junk tires wanna run em on the highway

22. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Us Real HotRodders do it all the time. And so did everybody in the 30's, 40's, 50', & 60's.

Your probally one of those modern pussys that doesn't leave his house without his cell phone so you could call when your car breaks down.

23. wallyringo

wallyringo

No way on the street. Only as a roller garage use.

24. VonKool13

VonKool13

Its a gamble, but ive done it with no problems. After all they do have tubes in them, and new tires come apart all the time. 2 years ago I drove my edsel from So Cal to Vegas averaging 70 mph on old dry WWW tires with no problems.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

25. Gman0046

Gman0046

No way I'd run old tires. My 56 Chevy had B.F. Goodrich Radial T/A's with all kinds of tread but over ten years old. I was always worried about them. It wasn't worth it. A blown tire can cause way more body damage then replacing the tires. Not to mention the possibility of an accident.

26. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

yeah thats me,, modern pussy,, in about 2 days we will see how many people agree with this modern pussy i say its like 99% agree with the modern pussy and 1% agree with the stupid guy

27. I've seen worse but..... NOPE!

28. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

What really happens, the tire will peal like an orange, it wont loose air because there's a tube, just the dry rubber from the bias plys. It happened a couple of time to me. Once on the freeway to the shifters carshow, but the missing chunk balanced out that bent rim is was on. I still drove it to the show & back.

Your car doesn't tumble over catch fire and blow up when you get a flat. When you start driving your car on a more regular bases & further 7 faster, then spend the money on good tires.

Note: I paid $80 through craiglist for new 235/85/16 rear tires for my coupe

29. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Please enlighten us "unreal" hot rodders what a real one is ? Oh, and the reason most of us are still alive to use that cell phone is because we grew up and stopped doing stupid stuff that put us and other people at risk. :p

And if you are "too poor" to be using safe parts on a car you shouldn't be building them.

Don

30. Well. Show us the rest of your car. Then i can give you a better answer.

:)