Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Latham Superchargers: Info & Pictures

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by movin/on, Dec 7, 2008.

1. I'm still keeping the registry and always looking for additional pictures & info on owners. I'd like the Model #, Serial Number and the type of Engine it's on. See the first post.

Here's a picture of one sold by a friend to someone in Germany (?), about a year ago. Has anyone seen it recently? It's a 4 carb Latham with a fake plenum for 4 more nonfunctional carbs. It was originally on a 34 Ford Cpe with a SBC.

Movin/on

Attached Files:

2. Anyone seen some Latham Superchargers recently?

Still looking for pictures, info or Serial numbers of ones you've seen.

Please update the list I'm keeping.

Movin/on

3. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

HOTROD magazine just mentioned something about it.

4. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

There is one on Hartford CL, $10,000.00.

5. Flatoutflyin: Thanks I contacted him and will add his to the registry as well as pictures.
    He said that his is mounted on a SBC Devon or Divon(sp?) intake manifold which I haven't heard of before. Research needed.

Movin/on

6. Normbc9

Normbc9

I was asked by a customer to install an Axial Flow Super Charger on his new Studebaker V-8 in 1964. I took on the job with the understanding that I'd probably need a lot of Technical Support. Well, I got it done, the Latham folks were great! When I needed anything and the Studie went out and blew a bunch of big time dealer sponsored cars in the Quarter Mile Drags in Southern California. He called it "The Conestoga Wagon in disguise." I called it "Seeing Studebaker tail lights in front of you at the finish line."
    Normbc9

7. NormBC9: Thanks for the info.

I'm still looking for Photo's info and current owners.

Post them here -- PM me or send me an E-mail to my address by clicking on my name >>> Movin/on

Thanks to all who have helped so far............

8. Just heard of a Latham Ford Y-block kit in Texas and am hoping to get more info.

9. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

A friend of mine here in the Philippines has one in his shop. I'll get a piccie some time soon and post it. Does each unit have an ID number on?

10. Model# & serial number are on the tag as seen in this picture. They are are stamped into the tag.

[​IMG]

Any and all info including articles and pictures can be posted to this thread and are really appreciated. I copy them into my registry Info.

Hope that's OK with Ryan!

Thanks all

11. Still looking for more that are still in existance these were last built in the original design in 1965.

Movin/on

12. arles

arles

Here are some pictures promised of my Latham, its been in storage for almost 40 years, just got it out yesterday, it was a project of my Dad for his 62 corvette. serial no: 1299

Attached Files:

S.F. likes this.
  13. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

A friend just scored one tonight,sadly it is going on the auction site tomorrow.

14. Ends up that a HAMB member in the SF Bay area bought this Latham. Thanks for the PM
    Plans to be used on a 430 MEL
    Anyone looking for a Latham just lost out (E-Bay sale)unless you bought it from Sauk Village Ill. It sold for $980 and was nice and set up for a SBC.

I asked Brian to pass the registry info over to the new owner. At least I've got it documented with pictures Serial # 1406.

Movin/on

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  15. Just got a PM from a Hamb member-
    A bare Latham Supercharger on E-Bay (300718469074 starting at $2000) no pulleys carbs-linkage etc-- Last one on E-bay sold to a HAMB member complete minus the intake manifold a few months ago for $980. So just FYI buyer beware.

16. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

Better late than never, from my buddy in the Philippines shop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Normbc9

Normbc9

I hope the photo comes through. 300 Ci Ford inline six. Runs great!
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

18. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

Very nice, but that isn't a Latham blower?

19. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

The intake manifold is a BBF [FE series]

20. Morrisman: Yes it is a latham but not the original design.
    Richard Paul bought the Latham "rights" sometime in the late 90's and redesigned it for TUNER cars. This is one of those units.

I don't maintain these superchargers in my registry although they are technically Latham axial flow superchargers.

Same concept but definately non-HAMB material. Thanks for the notation.

Movin/on

21. flintstone1

flintstone1
    from Racine WI

I have a Latham (pics attached) 2BA s/n 001326. I have had it for about 25 years. I am now installing it on a 377 Chev. I am not using the stock carbs but making some adapters to use Weber DCOE side drafts.
    The big challange is coming up with a drive for the Alt and Pwr steering. I do have the lower pully but I think it was Ford and have to modify it to fit on the chev.
    It will eventually go into a 1950 chev pickup.
    Other parts that I have had to make are the extension for the idler and the forward support.
    I will gladly answer any questions on mounting to a chevy.
    John

Attached Files:

22. Here are a couple of pictures of a Latham unit that I passed on about
    3 years ago, because I did not know anything about them. This is the
    later single side inlet version, I was told they also made a double side
    inlet version. They have a unique elbow which allows the carb or carbs
    to hang off the front side of the engine(for lower hood clearance).
    I do not know how many of this style were ever produced.

John

Attached Files:

23. anteek

anteek

Hi,I still have a model 14-A;serial#001230,that I've had for over 40 years that was on a Y-block. I've never used it since and have offered it for $2k with the manifolds......no takers. It was a real power booster but I've gotten OLD.

24. Chopped Tudor

Chopped Tudor
    from DETROIT

Model 30-a # 001658

Attached Files:

25. Chopped Tudor

Chopped Tudor
    from DETROIT

Another.

Attached Files:

26. Chopped Tudor

Chopped Tudor
    from DETROIT

Last.

Attached Files:

27. flatheadkid1

flatheadkid1
    from OHIO

Here is the Latham I picked up about 6 years ago. The pictures were taken about 5 minutes after it came in the mail. I had been wanting one for a long time. It even had Eelco 90 degree fuel line fittings...I love those!

Attached Files:

28. nsra_23

nsra_23
    from Indiana

My father just picked one up at an auction yesterday, will be uploading pics as soon as i can transfer them to the computer. It's a model 14-A and serial number is 1179. It came complete with the 4 yh carbs, original adapters to mount the carbs, two handmade manifolds to mount the carbs, lower sbc fuelie intake, and all the throttle linkage and pulleys. It has two different top pulleys, one is a serpentine style pulley and one is a double v belt pulley. The guy that he got it from bought it brand new and had it installed on a 383 mopar. I believe that dad plans on installing it on his 35 ford 3w next year

29. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

Anybody actually have a video of one of these running? I would like to see what I am getting myself into if I get mine put in my roadster...hahahaha

30. Richard Paul

Richard Paul
    from So Cal

Maybe I should sign in here. I own Latham since 1982. At that time I redesigned the compressor and everything else about it.
    Jack Vines is correct in that he owns the last and largest compressor sold. There have been newer blowers built but never sold.
    Somewhere I have a list of all the early ones sold and to whom.
    I haven't seen it since I moved though.
    There are no belts to original spec. All the tooling is gone.
    Gates makes flat belts for some machinery but they are not really good for this as they stretch. You can use them on a show car, they will turn the blower. You can use a serpentine belt but when on a under 2" upper pulley they will slip. Lathams were turned at 5 to 1 or more. Remember engines didn't turn the RPM they do now. 33000 is the redline.
    The 3 groove belt I used in the '80's was a joined Poliflex 3x7mm.
    But my blowers only ran at 2.7-2.9 to 1. I used a 8.8 lower and 1.88-1.95 upper. Those belts I have plenty of.
    You can reach me through Axialflow.com.
    I have very few parts for the early blowers and do not make a market in them.