Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. SamAndrews

SamAndrews

This is by far one of the most amazingly simple yet effective things I've seen. I've been welding all this time and have always cussed about dragging a light into the inside of a car or dark place that I'm welding in. I can't believe i never thought of this. Well played sir!

2. bkap

bkap

Just curious, what effect does this have on the life of the flashlight?

3. Jim Stabe

Jim Stabe

Just stock up on the freebie flashlights you get with the coupon from their ads. I have half a dozen of them now.

4. bkap

bkap

Ha! Hadn't thought of that. I've got a bunch of those, too. Guess I was thinking more of quality rather than quantity. :)

5. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

These are some of the machines I made.

Attached Files:

6. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

Here are some other items I made. The sand blast cabinet is out of an old oil tank. I made my grinder stand to swivel. My body tools are close at hand with a moving stand.

Attached Files:

7. Jim Stabe

Jim Stabe

Very nice! Do you have a site with more detail on the bead roller?

8. I may come across as a curmudgeon but a rolling rack in a small building is a mistake. Better to bolt racks to the wall. I know this from experience. But if you must do it, design it so the long pieces are standing vertical.

9. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

I started with a Harbor Freight bead roller. I then got a gear drive motor off E-bay. It has a forward and revers. I made new roller arms longer. Then used 1/4 plate for the frame.:)

Attached Files:

10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I have the same Dayton gear motor. It is reversible, but does not have forward and reverse built into it.

I would be interested in knowing how you wired it to achieve the forward and reverse. And how you operate it, likely with a foot pedal.

I have found this a problem with these posts, people share pictures of what they built, but will rarely share details of how they did it.

Little things like wiring etc.

11. The answer to your wiring question may be here: http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp...60d5217a93fe50&bpcl=35277026&biw=1016&bih=556

12. Roger53

Roger53

Thanks for the site on the wiring ! It's things like that sure can help.

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  14. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

[​IMG]This may help you. This is off the site from notgettinrich

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  15. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

As you can see, The DP-DT sw is located close the the adjustment wheel. I'm also using a foot pedal wired through the in coming power.

Attached Files:

16. Drewski

Drewski

I've been using one of the HF freebies on my mig for quite a while and other than wiping off the soot every once in a while it shows no damage.

[​IMG]

17. That flashlight is a good trick; I am always trying to get more light in there when welding. The hanger too.

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Thanks, but I can't read what that is between the blue and black wires.
    I tried blowing the diagram up but it gets really unreadable.

19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yes, if I could read it :D Blowing this one up also makes it unreadable.

20. I'll give it a try. First you need to look at your motor wiring diagram. It is usually on the
    data plate or sometimes on the inside of access cover. If the motor is reversible, you will find in most cases there are two wires that are switched between the "line in's" to change
    rotation, such as for CCW rotation you connect L1, 1, & 8 and L2, 3, & 5 and for CW rotation you connect L1, 1, & 5 and L2, 3, & 8. In this example wire 5 and 8 are switched to change the rotation. To add a reversing switch you would run wires 5 and 8 to the center connections of a double throw-double throw toggle switch, then run the two connections on one end of the switch to L1 and L2 (which still need to connect to 1 & 3 respectively), and finally add two jumper wires from that end of the switch to the two connections on the other end, crossing them so they look like an "X". With the toggle in one position the motor will run CW and with the switch un the other position it will run
    CCW. They make DPDT switches without a center position for this application.
    Then just run the main power through the foot pedal and use the toggle to select direction.
    Hope I got this straight and it makes sense to somebody.

21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Drawing it out into a clear readable diagram would be great :)

22. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

I've got a question for those that have modified HF bead rollers. I have a Woodard Fab roller on the way and suspect I will need to stiffen it up. I already have some 2x2 square material to use as bracing, but I will have to have a welding shop weld them on since I don't have a stick welder. The question is should I be concerned about warpage at all? The main body is supposed to be 1/2" thick.

I've noticed some people weld the bracing on solid and others just weld spots. Any advise?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  23. Here is a rough diagram, of course your motor wire numbers may differ.

Attached Files:

24. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anything you weld will draw up. The trick is in allowing for the draw. I welded my tubing up first and allowed a little extra so that when it finished shrinking it was almost square. Then, I welded it to the frame. You only need to weld it in a few spots to get the stiffness you need. If you weld it solid, it will put a curve in your frame. Guaranteed.

Look at my pictures for an idea of how much you need to weld it to the frame. This is plenty adequate.

25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I agree with stich welding it, however what you said about welding it solid is not true.

Distortion from welding can be managed by a couple of methods.

The easiest way is to do the welding equally on each side. If you weld 4" on one side ,then you weld 4" on the other side directly opposite where you started.

By properly balancing your welding side to side you can control distortion and keep the frame straight.

I have done it all my working life and on many things bigger and far more complicated than a bead roller frame.

26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Thanks, that will help very much. I'll probably post my results when I build my bead roller soon here. It will be a modified Magnum bead roller, they are similar to the Woodward ones.

I'll beef it up and mount my Dayton motor on it.

27. Whats the model number on those little daytons?

28. bjinatj

bjinatj

29. onemintcaddy

onemintcaddy

Holly Crap,,, 400 Buck's.
    Should go thank my wife,,, I just found two of them cleaning out my garage. Didn't know why they had so Meany wires coming out of the hosing,, I do know. MINT!