Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Vs. Hot Rods - A Poll for you to consider...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 15, 2012.

?
  1. No! Leave the HAMB just as it is...

818 vote(s)
    82.9%
  2. Yes! I'd love to have separate custom and hot rod forums!

169 vote(s)
    17.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Alright fellas... Being that it's election time and all, I figured I would lay down a poll where your vote might actually count for something! Recently, I've had a couple of pretty passionate custom guys ask me if I would be willing to separate "customs" from our general discussion forum. In other words, have two different forums - one for customs and one for hot rods. And I don't mean two separate websites all together - just two separate forums under the "General Discussion" header.

The logistics of doing something like this isn't easy and there would be an increased work load for sure, but it's something I'm totally willing to do if it is something you guys really want. So, vote with your heart.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  2. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

The load's already enough for you Ryan and team. As long as the Hokey Ass Message Board and Classifieds are cleaned up of any off-topic, non-traditional material, it's all good in my opinion. I don't think any 'Custom' guy detests Hot Rods and visa versa. Being able to come to one Forum and find Hot Rods AND Customs is fantastic, instead of having to troll through different sites continuously.

Thanks again for all your work Ryan and Co.

HeyyCharger.

3. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Tough one. Custom Journal?

4. It ain't broke - don't fix it.

Love them both

5. belair

belair

I think these two worlds are too intertwined to seperate. Most of us would loose access to stories and info on our our second favorite cars, either hot-rods or customs. I hope you do not do this.

6. RFOSTER

RFOSTER

Just leave it alone I think it's fine!

7. raidmagic

raidmagic

If by separate you mean when I come to the HAMB there will be the message baord and below that the custom board that would be cool. If it would be a separate forum altogether then no

8. Please don't separate the two. I'm more of a hot rod guy, but I really appreciate a nice tasteful custom. And I like coming to one place for my daily fix. I guess if you counted the number of body mods on my car, it would probably qualify as a custom hot rod.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

9. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm 100% a Custom fan so I read all of the Custom post and I will read some Hot Rod
    topics. The Hot Rod post that I read I enjoy them. If there were two different forums
    I would probably miss out on the Hot Rod stuff. One of these days I'll own a Hot Rod
    and that will change what I'll pick to read. I believe it is working like it is.

Happy Trails, Mick

10. How bout just giving hambers the option to delete OT threads,,like 30 negtive votes would erase the thread automatically and would keep the Main board clean to discuss Hot rods and customs.

11. lukey

lukey

I love both, and I like the fact that one forum has both, don't wanna search two forums....but I will if I must!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

12. I realize that the hard core Custom guys would love to have a separate site but if that happens I don't think it's good for the rest of us hot rodders.

I enjoy reading and learning from the builds but if they were not here a lot of new folks joining the Hamb may not be exposed to the Customs.

I don't won't to alienate anyone.

Back in the day,just as today Hot Rods have outnumbered the Custom Cars,,these guys always have some interesting things to offer and I would hate to see there builds not show up on these pages.

I'm not going as far as saying don't do it but I won't say I support the idea.

Like any democratic society the popular vote wins,,I'll go along with whatever the Ryan majority decides. :D HRP

13. Gerg

Gerg

an off topic area i think would be cool if you don't like it don't look at it kind of thing maybe that would help keep the board cleaner of some of the BS posts

sorry if this post starts a shit storm delete it

14. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

x 2:D

15. Too much screwin' around now on the net, the last thing I'd want is to search another forum.

I think you can figger out which way I'm goin'!

16. DirtyJoe

DirtyJoe

17. Guys I don't think he is talking about a seperate site just a seperate catagory like the classifieds so when you click on the hamb rather than just the Hokey Ass Message board it would say Hot Rods and then below it Customs just like the Garage Journal has a Flooring section and a Electrical section.

It is basically the same thing as what the prefixes do if guys would just use them but seeings as that is never going to happen this would do it for you.

Not to be negative but I think this poll is kind of a moot point because the hot rod guys out number the Custom guys about 50 to 1 on this site and really this is only going to benifit the Custom guys who want an easier time wadding through the 100's of threads trying to find the one or two custom threads.

PS. I agree an off topic section would be a nice as well.

18. ryno

ryno

I'm kinda for a separate spot,but then again im not.
    Meaning Im a custom guy at heart,but really enjoy all the hamb has to offer.

For instance , where would some one post about a 9" reared question?
    It could be for a shoebox or deuce. Custom or hot rod forum?

I vote for leave well enough alone

19. JJK

JJK

I personally enjoy the diversity, leave it be.

20. 2 good points.

Customs are definitely out numbered so voting will be somewhat biased.

And an O/T section would work out better especially when some guys get some 1965 car threads closed because "they" don't like them even though 1965 is NOT O/T.

21. kmc777

kmc777
    from sedaliamo

I'm just a new guy here but part of my reason for being on here is because of both hot rods and customs. Some of the best cars on here are a little hot rod and a little custom put together in one car. I love both hot rods and customs please don't change what isn't broke.

22. Ryan,
    I am not a "custom" guy or perhaps better said not a dedicated custom guy. I like customs and often look at ways that custom practices can be worked into a hot rod build. I feel that most of us go fast junkies could use a little custom influence and overwhelming majority of us would not join a dedicated custom forum to get it.

If you look closely, at lot of Hot Rods or customs blurred the lines between the two. Look at an early '60s show rod for instance or even an early '60s build on an early '60s car, many of them were customs with hot engines albeit some would have fallen into the mild custom ranks. Now look to the very beginnings of customs, many of the most famous customs were running the hottest engines of their time, multi carbs, high compression heads and etc.

One must remember that at its inception a custom was a cheaper body style made to mimic a high end car, it was not just styling but the performance of the high end car as well. If you build true to form and you are either building a hot rod or a custom you cannot separate the two.

So all that said to say this it is a definate "NO" from me.

23. flathead okie

flathead okie

24. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I love both and if there were two separate forums I'd miss out on a lot of stuff that I'd otherwise find interesting.

It's all about building old cars to me.... Whether a guy is building a Hot
    Rod or a full Custom. The skills, knowledge and, most importantly, the passion, is the same.

25. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

I dig both and I think a seperation would hurt the board.

26. mikew

mikew

leave it, but I'd be for a way to get more of the OT posts off quicker.

27. if you made the split I wouldn't know where to post my custom 33 ford and my hot rod 51 Merc

28. To seperate Hot Rods and Customs would not be traditional! The two co-existed in the '50s and '60s and they should do so now. Leave it be, Ryan, it aint broke...

29. chiro

chiro

I love both. Leave it the way it is. My computer time is just as easliy diverted on the traditional rod as it is the custom. I like having them both in one spot.

Andy

30. I'm a HOT ROD guy, but I enjoy customs also. I read almost everything on this forum about both type of cars (I'm retired), so I'd like to see it left alone. 2+ on the off topic section.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.