Register now to get rid of these ads!

unfunny oops stories

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carcrazyjohn, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Was home on leave from the Navy sometime around '73. Had to have wheels so bought a 59 TR3 that had seen better days, but it really only had to last 30 days then my younger brother could drive it forever if he wanted it. Anyway there was a serious clunk on every shift. Borrowed a floor jack and slid it under the pumpkin and got looking around found driveshaft was about to come off. So walked to the hardware store and returned home. Now my mom used to watch one of my nephews who couldn't have been more than 3 years old, and as I started to jack up the car again he came out of the house and asked a bunch of questions one being how the jack worked. And me being the indulgent uncle showed him how twist the handle etc... and let him try it. Then I placed the jack under the pumpkin and lifted it up. Now being probably about 20 and bulletproof figuring the repair was going to take just a few minutes did not use any jackstands. Yup, just me and the floorjack under the car. Just about then my nephew decides its time to practice some new skills. A quick twist of the handle and am pinned under the car. After a couple minutes he managed to pump the jack enough to allow my exit. Didn't raise my voice just walked him into the house and said he could watch and talk to me but it had to thru the window, and yes I did walk down to the basement and grab my jackstands.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  2. kc0kfg

kc0kfg

Just painted my 66 bright yellow, night before the local show, all that's left to do is install the windshield, new rubber lots of soap, fried stopping by in a few hours,,,, I make the call I can install it alone, 90% in and I hear the crack start at one corner and move across to the other side.

3. dad-bud

dad-bud

Thanks for all the posts - not feeling so well today and this is helping me immensely.
    Cheers to all.

4. Nonstop

Nonstop
    from CA

O/T truck, laying under it and drop a wrench in my eye, actually cut the ball...took a bit to heal. VERY lucky on that one!

Same truck, mounting IFS lift brackets, one slips and chips my two front teeth! Luckily, was able to get a repair to them.....

Always was uneasy around the truck after that.....until it was sold!

5. ChefMike

ChefMike

had my truck frame up on horses and had finished painting it came out next day !climb up on it wife comes out startles me I slip and fall on to the side of the frame . end up with two fractured ribs. Cant remember why I climb up on it !

6. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

I don't think I have either.:rolleyes:...... Ha who am I kidding, I do stupid shit all the time. One of the more expensive ones was after finishing up an installation of a fiberglass front end on my drag car one evening a local pest raccoon comes walking in the shop. I grabbed the nearest thing I could grab which was a mini sledge and threw it at him "Missed him by that much" and that much was the new glass fender of the car.

7. Inputflangeman

Inputflangeman
    from Illinois

Was underneath my '04TJ pulling the nerf bars off and got to the last two bolts. One was sheared, one wasn't, I chose the wrong one. Nerf bar versus face, nerf bar won.

Attached Files:

8. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

One time a friend was over and wanted to use my cabinet sandblaster. No problem, but I had drained all the sand out into a flat pan a few weeks earlier. He helped me pull the pan out so we could dump it back in, when we noticed there was some sort of debris in the sand. So we grabbed it and tossed it out. Then we noticed more, and more, so we kept grabbing it and tossing it out. But it began to dawn on us that the debris we had been grabbing was cat poop.

9. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I did something stupid once a long time ago. I must have enjoyed it cause I haven't been able to quit since. :eek:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  10. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Resting my hand on a newly striped helmet. Oops , not funny, just stupid:eek:

11. Gigantor

Gigantor

Where to begin?
    Last year, a friend asked fr my help patching the floor in his truck, a big late 70s Dodge D300 Dually flatbed. I pulled it into my garage and almost pulled the garage down. Garage doors are 9 feet wide. Home made flatbed is 9 feet five inches wide. It took a lot of pushing and pulling to get the center support for the garage wall back on its base, the whole time my friend was laughing at me. So. Angry. So. Embarassed.

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I just got my off topic big block Chevelle finished and the carb kept flooding. I chased the flooding problem for a week or so. The excess fuel was ending up in the oil pan thinning out the oil. It was being stored at my muffler shop and driven out side every day. It never dawned on me until it wiped the cam and all the bearings in the newly rebuilt engine. That was an expensive opps moment.

13. Spent a lot of time stripping and sanding a pair of front rims for my OT 72 Cutlass I restored last year.
    Time's drawing close this May to get it done and sell it.
    I'm hurrying the drying time of the rims by placing them against a telephone pole across the street facing into the sunshine.
    I turn and walk away to move onto the under hood detail work down the end of my driveway.
    3 minutes go by and I hear odd noises coming from the street.
    (Did I mention I live on a very steep hill?)
    There go my rims down hill.
    One into the dirt and weeds, the other is rocketing along at about 30 mph heading for a neighbors newly built house.
    He's out there spraying his shutters when the flying rim interrupts his progress.
    I spent the rest of the morning working with him and gave him a cord of my firewood as an apology.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  14. radgirl

radgirl

Guilty as charged :-/ as an apprentice years ago my boss asked me to drive a car into the shop. The car was an early VW Bug and was used for advertising..... Perched on top was a large camel torso and head. I drove it in carefully worried about driving a manual and forgot to check the roller door height. I beheaded the camel.

15. repoman

repoman

I was 19 and working in a Sunoco. I had my personal car on the lift for a clutch swap after hours. My friend/co-worker (I got him the job) was in the car helping me adjust the clutch. He found my 9mm Hi-power in the console and leaned out the window and asked me "Where's the clip?". Stupidly, I answered "In the glovebox".
    30 seconds later a shot goes off. He had cocked it and had a little trouble holding the hammer while pulling the trigger in an attempt to slowly lower it. He had powder burns on his knee, and he shot right through my new stereo, cracked the AC duct, and put a hole in the firewall. We never found the slug.
    Cost me my job.

16. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I was working in a body shop in the early '80s, it was my first job in a body shop. We had an account fixing damage on trucks from a national truck rental company. My boss was this lazy, gimpy legged boozer who didn't want to do more than he had to. One day we had to deliver a truck to the rental company after we repaired a door. The truck was in the bay with the big overhead door and my boss told me to pull it out once the door was opened. He was a real lazy ass so instead of going down by the door and pushing the button he stayed in his office and pushed the second button that operated the door. I see the door open up and waited a few seconds and proceeded to drive out the door. All of a sudden I hear a loud crack and pieces of the door fall on the hood of the truck and I hear my boss screaming and see him speed hobbling toward the door. I caught the bottom of the door with the top of the box of the truck and pulled the bottom panel out. The door was too old to get parts so the entire door had to be replaced. It's funny now but not then.

About 5 years later I was working on a car that I swapped in a newer engine into. I had trouble with keeping it running. I had date with my future wife and tried to make one more quick adjustment before going to pick her up for a date. I start the car and move it out onto the street, about 50 from my driveway and it dies. I tired to start it and it wouldn't kick over. It was hot and I was starting to run late for the date. In a fit of anger get out of the car and slam the door and the window, which was rolled down, explodes into a cloud of glass. This really pissed me off so I turn around and punch the closest thing to me which was an aluminum light pull. I hear a slight "thunk" and feel some pain in my hand. I push the car, by myself, into the driveway and get ready for my date. My hand starts to turn red and when I finally get to my girlfriend's house it's about 50% bigger than normal. I ended up having a stainless plate put in to join the bone I broke in my hand.

These are just two of the dumbest things I've done, there are many more.

17. Ya can't trust a "hayburner"...

18. Then you aint done enough...

19. Cantstop

Cantstop

amen

20. stevestude

stevestude
    from orangevale

30 yrs ago, I started my 64 trimph spitfire late one nite after mucho beers. It started, but ran real bad. I opened the hood and lit a match to see whats up. Apperently , the hose to the rear carb had popped off and was spraying gas on the firewall and trans tunnel(made of pressed cardboard if I remember!) as well as the ground. Big fire, but quick work with a hose saved the car. I actually drove it home that nite.

21. Model T1

Model T1

Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by gearheadbill [​IMG]
    I have never done anything stupid.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Apparently you guys have never done anything!
    As for me, I've done plenty. Just nothing stupid............... That I'm going to admit here. That would be stupid !:D

22. ol fueler

ol fueler

About the early sixties , when I was young and stupid, now I am just stupid, Several of us all hung out and helped each other with our various hot rods. One guy had a channeled A coupe with a tri carbed flathead. Another guys old man owned a service station--this was in the days when service stations were SERVICE STATIONS --this one had 2 bays for car repairs. If the shop was not in use , he would let us guys use it. One night , in the very cold winter, ( Salt Lake City Utah) the flat head A would not start, we had it in the bay cranking , priming the carbs , twiddeling this and that prming some more cranking --cranking-fiddle --fiddle, the station owner standing in the doorway between the shop and the office watching as we fussed with the stubborn flatty. In all the priming and cranking we had done apparently the oilpan had amassed a great deal of fuel which somehow ignited, because suddenly there was a loud boom and the breather cap and the heavy bayonet type dipstick flatheads have both flew off the engine -- the dipstick sticking in the wall like a dagger about 2 inches from the owners head! We were all horrifed that we had darn near killed the guy , but before we could say much , he exploded into screams about getting us and the Blankety blanktey piece of junk out of his station and don't come back!!He stuck to it too!

23. Unfunny opps story? Well friend dropped a Y block for on my hand when I was still in high school, he said oooops then I proceded to throw everything within my grasp at him.

Its pretty funy looking back it but I don't recall it being too funny at the time.

24. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I guess the earliest stupid thing I did was when I was in high school in '68 i bought a good running 60 galazy for the 352 to put in my 61. Let it set through the winter then swaped out the motor in the spring. Didn't realize until after it was all done that the motor had froze and freeze cracked on the inside under the intake. Learned a good lesson cause I haven't had one freeze since.

25. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stupidest trick-ahhhh, there's been so many!

My latest was just today. My wife asked me to check her tires, so I backed her car up to my shop, started the compressor and, because today was pretty humid, I lifted the overhead door and stuck out just enough hose from the overhead hose reel, to reach the tires.

I closed the door, went out and saw I hadn't put quite enough hose out, so I lifted the door a couple of inches and pulled on the hose, but it wouldn't come. I yanked on it pretty hard and BOOM, CRASH, BANG! The hose had become entangled with the cheap set of 6' shelves I put in a coupe of weeks ago for temporary storage of parts waiting to go on my project. All the parts AND the shelving unit came crashing down on my frame, which had been painted a week or two ago.

I spent the afternoon diiging out, relocating the shelves away from the hose and inspecting & re-stocking the parts on the shelves. Luckily (and luck is ALWAYS better than skill), no damage was done to the parts and only minor paint chips to the top of the rear section of the frame, which can be touched up easily.

I get older, but no smarter!

26. Holy crap that's great!

My shop motto is "What could possibly go wrong" so yeah, nothing dumb has ever happened.

27. 6-71

6-71

Honestly,I didn't do it, but a friend of mine spent the best part of a saturday block sanding a 36 Ford hood.He put the final coat of primer on it and set it out in the sun to dry.shortly after he proceeded to back over the nice straight hood with his pickup.He searched for a while to find a decent replacement hood.

28. outlaw256

outlaw256

ive done so many dumd things in my day but this one just stays in my head. when i tell it some call me dumbass some just laugh their asses off. 1982, jackson dragway in tn. 55 chevy 210. built one mean 327 tunnelrammed, the whole bit.4 speed.. i was runnin against the track hero and i knew i was going to beat him.ive watched this car run for awhile now and i knew i could. i knew it!! we pull up to the lights about the same time after doing our burnouts. i roll about 25 -30 ft past and slip her into reverse and they line me up as im backin up. stop right there!! so i stopped. kinda odd but ok. im getting sick at my stomach im so nervous.ive been told i was good at trimmin a tree so im watchin them lights like ive never watched anything before in my life. this one race was the most important race i have ever run.no money invovlerd just my rep.and pride.also a heads-up run so i gotta leave strong and first! when my lite was just startin to turn i dumped the clutch rpms way to high but hell im leavin fast and hard and hopefully first.well i left first and fast and hard but i was going the wrong direction.i forgot to put the damn car in first.i told you i was nervous.i did a long as burnout backwards the whole time hes going in the right direction! .i hit the brakes and i jumped out if the car and just looked at him going down the track then i noticed everyone was staring at me. what copuld i do? i just took a deep bow and came back up slow.i few were laughing like hell until i did that bow. when i was done i trew both arms straight up in the air and bowed again. then everyone started clapping. and it was loud.i got a standing ovation out of that.the announcer said over the pa now thats class but the guy standing by me at the lights said no thats just a dumb fuckin idiot..i agreed with him on that one.

29. flathead okie

flathead okie

I HATE hoods.
    back in 85 a tornado lifted the hood on my 68 AMX so I took it off and done the body work on it cause they're kinda hard to find, afyer I primer it I lean it outside the garage so it would dry quicker and my Sister n law backs over it.:mad:
    Also about 2 months ago I have my model A hood, deck lid and visor loovered,and lean them against the garage wall until I need them. The upholstry guy brings me the covered seats, panel, etc. So I store them in the attic. While I'm trying to put the seat frame up there I lose my balance and the seat frame comes down bends my hood,hood sides, and 32 gas tank and dents all of them and also cuts the new covering on the seat frame :mad: SHIT

30. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Put me down for almost also.....at least a couple of times.:D