Register now to get rid of these ads!

Painted my car with rustoleum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KaiserKruiser, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Oh so you were the other guy that asked.

2. Ive heard that some people use the 4 inch foam rollers from Home Depot to roll on the rusto. think i will give that a try.The cost of all those cans is adding up ,Im so cheap.

3. I painted my roof that way! (with some help from a brush)

4. Interesting idea there.

If you started a thread on what a "real" paint job was, you'd have 50 opinions.

What level do you have to acheive to make it reach the "real" catagory.

I assume that in 1929 a model A got a real paint job at the factory. Would that be considered a "real" paint job today?

Just thinking out loud....

5. dafman

dafman

There were a few distributors out in California for DAF, most predominately Western Cars of Holland, Inc.

Vince

6. milner142790

milner142790

Depending on where you are, most big box stored actually carry tintable rustoleum and I do believe that they can get it in different sheens also! I painted my desoto with rustoleum and it turned out great! I rolled both colors on, the roof is gloss lime green with the rest flat black. It did however take quite a few coats for the black to dry flat.. I do not know why

7. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

Cool Thread!

I painted my beater shop truck with Orange Rustoleum and had good luck with it.
    [​IMG]

Too Each Their Own........ Happy Trails

http://talk.classicparts.com/showthread.php?t=13928&page=12

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
    richards69impala likes this.
  8. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Virtually ANY paint will look weathered and faded in a couple years if you don't maintain it. By "maintain it" I mean wax it regularly.

My Dad always told me that the sun will eat your paint if you don't give it something else to eat. He felt wax was secondarily to make your paint shine but primarily as a sacrificial thing. That may have been more true of older paints, I don't know. All my cars sit out full time. Granted, its SoCal but I wash them weekly, clay bar the crap off them periodically and try to wax one panel each week at least doing the roof and hood most often because they get the most crap/sun on them. They all look great andthey're NOT new cars anymore.

I may do a Rusto job on my '55 truck.

9. aerometalworker

aerometalworker

Funny, tell a guy you painted your new ride in Ditzler Ditzco and you are "cool" for being "traditional". Tell a guy you painted it with rustoleum and your'e an idiot......

Hmm maybe if we put a vintage Ditzco label over the rustoleum can, and a Ditzler Bobcat label over the can of Valspar restoration series reducer, then the paint job would be accepted......

10. If it suits you, that is all that matters ! If your critics don't like it they don't have to look at it !I think you did a great job for the amount of money it cost you !

11. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

Just picked this up , 4 used WW tires for and plan on spraying it with Rustoleum vs. CLR "patina". If there are any critics against what " I " want to do, please PM me for my Paypal address as I have set up a charity fund for a " real paint job".
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  12. manyolcars

manyolcars

two and 1/2 years on this rustoleum

Attached Files:

13. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

I see this truck or its twin every year at the Petit Jean swap meet.....shoulda known it was a HAMB'r.:D

14. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

I haven't done a car with Rustoleum but I did do some roll outs on a prepped steel sheet. IF you want to take the time, you CAN bring up a really acceptable finish. I did all the body, prep work, priming and blocking on my 40 pickup and had it shot at a shop with PPG base/clear. It's an awesome paint job but when you consider that we're talking 100 bucks or so for Rusto vs 5 grand for the PPG job, that sort of puts things into perspective. You can do a perfectly acceptable paint job with these box store materials, they don't have the same performance and characteristics as state of the art automotive paints, but they certainly have merit as a budget finish and in most cases getting a great paint job with rusto like we have seen in a lot of these pics shows the skill and attention to detail of the painter more than any characteristic of the paint itself.!

15. UPSrodder

UPSrodder

paint is what you make of it. Owners choice. if it suites your needs and budget and your taste then, go for it. I used it on my truck because it will be used and abused, and won't fade like primer. and is durable. I've been down the real paint job trail before and is sucks, I hate to clean and wax and wash, and worry and primp over a paint job.. paint it and drive the shit out of it..

16. 1931modela

1931modela
    from montana

Looks like a $50 paint job, thats for sure.

17. 34hemipu

34hemipu

Yeh ! Wish my dumped x cab 91 Chev that I love to death ( rubber mat 2 !) had Rustolleyus . I 'd still ride it ! ( Instead of the factory " Flake " job ) Just sayin ,

Mike

18. jb2wheeler

jb2wheeler

One question, can you buy a gallon of gloss clear Rust-olem? JB

19. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

Really?
    [​IMG]

I haven't seen any,I even looked on their site :(

20. JD Miller

JD Miller

What's a real paint job?

Water base paint ? [​IMG]

BradinNC likes this.
  21. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

Oh yeah-it's roll on paint job,

22. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

One question I've always had about the "roll-on-many-coats-via-foam-roller" approach is:

If you're gonna roll the paint on (I think I'd spray it using an automotive grade hardner IF I would do it) why can't you roll it on as it comes out of the can? Yes, you'd have to wait wait wait for it to dry, then color sand, polish and wax?

Seems that ANY rolled on paint will have a stipple so you'd almost HAVE TO color sand. At least if you give a rip.

23. JD Miller

JD Miller

Sure you can

[​IMG]

24. F1ZZY

F1ZZY
    from Gering, NE

You guys are really splitting hairs here. If ya spent 160 to paint your car with oil based whys it a big deal to buy some omni, nason, or rm? Gonna paint a whole wagon n the color and clear only cost 450. I get there are people on a budget but for the love of god people quit hacking these cars out! Wanna keep the hobby alive? Leave some cars left for the younger generation to re restore! Tv already glorifies it enough that you don't need to!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

25. F1ZZY

F1ZZY
    from Gering, NE

Ps anyone who wants to bad talk water based paint look in your driveway dip shit. If you own anything newer than 02 it's almost guaranteed to be shot with water base!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

26. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

"dip shit" :rolleyes: It sounds like you are suggesting that water based paint is superior to "regular' solvent containing paint.

While there are some water based paints that are better then some solvent based paints, if we are talking the best possible, water hasn't overtaken the best solvent based paints...... yet.

27. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Who pissed in your cheerios lightweight? The cutoff for the HAMB is 1965. Are you lost?

28. I think the amount of orange peal in my roller paint job (no air compressor here) is less than a factory paint job for sure.

[​IMG]

29. derbydad276

derbydad276

I looked it up on their website its acrylic lacquar so my guess it wont work with their oil base paint

here is a pic of my F100 I painted last year with satin black it has stood up to a michigan winter and sits in the sun all day ...as for shopping cart chips... no worse than my factory base/clear on my o/t d/d
    I spent less than hundred painting it and got the look I was looking for (shop) truck ...with a coat of paint!

Attached Files:

30. gilles d

gilles d
    from winnipeg

i painted my 57 merc with cil marine enamel with flattener 3 years ago and it still looks good and curently building a 62 chev with my son ussing metalguard paint with flattener .both these paints are similar to rust oleum and work well for daily drivers.you dont have to worry about driving your ride or parking it in a parking lot ,if it gets damaged just fix! your self.

Attached Files: