Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rocky tries out Gibbs oil on the 34 coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocky, Oct 12, 2012.

1. My trusty old 34 five window is still at the body shop and it gets a little damp in there in the winter so I sent off for a four-pac of Gibbs to help protect the bare metal.
    I got all jiggy with the hood top....gibbs and scotchbrite followed up with gibbs and some fine steel wool. I thought the gibbs would actually disolve the surface rust after reading some testimonials on line. It didn't do it for me. I had to rely on the scotchbrite pads and steel wool to remove the light rust and followed it up with steel wool saturated with Gibbs. Did a nice job and if it protects against rust coming back, I'll be happy. Here's a couple photos of the car after Jimmy and I wiped the body down with a couple rags.looks remarkably better. I sure hope they'll be no primer adhesion problems down the road.
    Little things like this re-ignites my motivation to keep going..
    Whaddya think?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  2. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

lookin good Rocky,be interesting to see how the primer reacts.really like this build,the hood sides are a very nice touch.good luck

3. Oops! We took the driver's side hood side off to do a little welding/grinding/shrinking/straightening. Shoulda put it back on for the photo. Here's what they look like.aftermarket 33 ford hood sides with middle cut out and 34 chevy master hood sides welded in...kind of a different look. The stainless moldings are going back on after paint....uhhh and after I polish them, They're straight but scratched up and need a good buffing.

Attached Files:

4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Suuu wheaatt!

5. HELLBILLY

HELLBILLY

I like that! Great idea, oh and I had the same thoughts as you on the Gibbs and primer........ I have a couple long term bodies in the bare also. :)

6. The can says you can paint over it..

7. GARY?

GARY?

The '34 is looking stellar!
    All bare metal build? If so, your off to a good start.

8. Still scares me, paint isnt cheap.

9. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Rocky.Have you ever tried BoShield.It was developed by Boeing for rust and corrosion prevention.I have tried it,and it does work pretty darn good.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

10. Hey Rocky, coupes looking good. I really like the hood treatment.

From everything I hear you shouldn't have any problem painting over Gibbs.

Mick

11. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Body looks great ,I'll have to wander over some time and see it in person, Tim Jones

12. anteek

anteek

Really like what you did to the hood sides. Not only looks GREAT but will stiffen the sides.

13. brady1929

brady1929

14. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

Very nice shop, congrats.

15. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wouldn't trust the can... Before you put any bodywork or primer or whatever on that little car, I would take her outside and wash the everlovindogshit out of her with good soapy water to get all that stuff off.

I never like to put filler or primer on anything other than nice clean bare metal scuffed to 80 or so. BUT, I have zero experience with Gibbs, so I might be full of shit....

Your little car looks awesome. You gonna make it to HAMB Drags 2013?????

See ya, -Abone.

16. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Killer Rocky........

17. koolkemp

koolkemp

Car is looking awesome Rocky! I am with flamedabone ,scrub/sand it really well scrub again with thinner or some other solvent wash...

18. I don't know anything about Gibbs except what I have read on the Hamb,,but I do know when I see a great looking project finally coming together.

The hood sides are gonna defiantly set it apart from the herd! HRP

19. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've been coating the bare metal Brookville deuce roadster bodies I know are gonna be around for a while with Gibbs for several years and have had no negative feedback about paint problems.

20. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Rocky - the build is turning out great!

21. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

It kept the Victoria unrusted for a whole year....works fucking killer.

22. Brandi

Brandi

A buddy of mine put that all over his bare metal pickup last spring up here in the soggy NW and then we went to Bonneville. His truck has a HELLUVA lot less rust (read: none) compared to my roadster.

23. FANTASY FACTORY

FANTASY FACTORY

Car is in the shop?? pick up the primer gun and shoot a fender..
    40 years experiance makes me cry snake oil, just running a salamnder in the shop results in fish eye, unless you plan on using dulux.

24. Chris 50

Chris 50

I'd be interested to see if this affects adhesion down the line also. So you cut out the '33 louvers? I don't suppose you have and would part with them?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

25. Fender? What the hell is this "fender?"
    Ha ha..I thought I'd let the stuff sit and "de-gass" for awhile.I'll try it on a test-panel.

26. Damn that's a nice looking body Rocky.

27. BELLM

BELLM

Looking awesome. Can't wait to see the finished car!

28. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Hi Rocky,

I was the unofficial Australian dealer for Gibbs Brand a while back and used it on my bare 32 5 window coupe (avatar), various metal parts including a set of 16x11 Magnesium wheels. All came up looking brilliant and it's great stuff. I no longer am involved so have nothing to gain by this post but...

1) Applying it with steel wool is not the recommended way to get the most protection. It is a good way to clean but the final application needs to be as you read on the can. Just do as it says. It needs to be applied liberally (preferably to a cloth and not directly to the body), be allowed to sit for a while saturated and very gently (barely pushing without pressing) wiped over with a clean paper towel to remove only the excess. That will give you the best protection.

The end result is metal that looks wet but it's not. You can "test" this by gently brushing the back of your CLEAN fingers against the metal (it's almost irresistible not to). You will expect them to come away wet with gibbs but there will be nothing. Though Dave says it's ok to touch the metal with your bare hands I tried to avoid it. Another benefit is that Gibbs isn't oily and does not attract dirt and dust like WD40 and CRC (which no one should ever use on a bare steel car body!).

It's really the best product of it's type and the best penetrant out there due to it's ability to penetrate gaps as small as 1 micron size which is many times smaller than what WD40 can penetrate.

2) This is the biggest misconception. You can NOT paint directly over it. Normal metal prep procedures must be followed.

What this is referring to is that the product contains no silicones or other nasty stuff (like WD40 or CRC does which I would NEVER use on a bare body. I shudder when I read people doing that).

All they are saying here is that you should still clean and prep your metal body as you would a normal bare steel body but if you used Gibbs Brand on your metal AND you prepped and cleaned it thoroughly you should have no problems such as fish eye, lifting or lack of adhesion...etc.

Though I hesitate to link anyone back to Dave at roadsters.com (PM me why if you must) he does have an excellent page on Gibbs here.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  29. painkiller

painkiller

Why not just epoxy prime it?

30. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

I can think of at least two reasons.

• Bare metal is just cool to look at.
    • Not finished working on it yet.