Register now to get rid of these ads!

(((Need Help replacing head)))

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PR51, Oct 12, 2012.

1. PR51

PR51

Alright guys...
    This is probably a piece of cake for most of you but to me this is unchartered territory. You have helped me on pretty much everything in the past and I've learned a lot. So, thanks for all that!

Now, being that I want to do as much of this myself for simple bragging rights and of course money LOL... but really, I want to learn and the only way for me is to dive in head first.

I was wondering if there was a site or link that would give a beginner like myself detailed instructions on how to change my heads? I am pretty I have a cracked head because it is spitting a little drip of water near the exhaust manifold and seems to be the reason for the overheating now that I have good flow through my radiator and motor.

Take it easy on me now, I am still learning LOL... but yeah, thanks in advance you guys have been a hell of a lot of help to me already. Our '51 would probably be sitting under the carport as we speak if it wasn't for the HAMB ;)

Larry

2. BOOB

BOOB
    from Taylor, TX

There's no wrong way to take it apart, but drain your coolant first. Aside from making sure you have clean sealing surfaces and apply sealant where necessary, all you have to do is torque the heads down ,with new bolts if possible, in the proper sequence and adjust your valves properly. Assemble in reverse order. What kind of engine is it?

3. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

make sure when you take everything apart, stay organized! make sure that every push rod goes in the same hole it came out of and that every rocker goes back where it came from. This will help keep the wear patterns the same. dont rush anything and take pictures of everything so that when you put it back together you remember how it goes. re-torque the head bolts in the correct sequence and use a good gasket so you dont have to do the job twice. good luck!

4. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

5. PR51

PR51

Awesome... thanks for all the info guys. I'm all ears... It is a 235 I6...

Nice procedure page!

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You need a repair manual. Seriously, a manual should be one of the first things you buy when you get a new car. Either the factory manual for your car or the Motor Repair Manual which covers all cars for a period of 9 years but of course not in as much detail on any one make.

7. Cortney

Cortney

I6 is pretty easy. Remove intake and exhaust manifolds, t-stat housing, valve cover, rocker arms, push rods, head bolts, head. Clean the surface, new gasket, new head reassemble in reverse order and adjust the valves. Probably a couple little things in the way but unless I'm competely forgeting something, thats pretty much it. Take your time and have fun!!

8. why remove the int and exh manifold?? just another leak and problem , lift the head off with it on, but remove the accelerator rod that will be in the way and remove the oil filter off manifold

9. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

On roids..

Lol!~

10. PR51

PR51

Ok so the disassembly and assembly seem like it won't be hard if I take my time and pay attention but how do I adjust the valves? I've never done this before and if they need to be a certain way, then, I have no clue which way to go... I don't doubt I can take it apart and put it back together with no problem but stuff like that, I need to know. Also, will I have to adjust the timing after I'm done? Somebody said something about that.
    thanks for all the info guys.

11. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

You may be in over your head (no pun),,suggest you ask for help.

Maybe a mobile mech can do the install?

Taking it apart will save you money..I just think you should not be setting some things up just yet:)

12. PR51

PR51

Yeah, I know I am over my head LOL... but I'm still going to do it myself. Everybody that has done it in the past has done it for the first time at one point or another. I just want to have all my ducks in a row before I attempt it, so please excuse all the newbie questions. I've done some things already that I had no clue what I was doing and made out alright. I do appreciate the advice though thanks! ;)

Anybody have any info on setting the valves? That's pretty much the thing that has me clueless right now. Is it pretty simple?

13. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

Ebay...find a MoToRs manual...when you get it apart (may just be bad head gasket) send me a message..

We can exchange numbers and talk about as you are looking at it.

Be glad to help out!

14. PR51

PR51

Thanks, AllSteel36... That's cool of you.
    You got it. I'll pay it forward one day when some new guy is asking me a bunch of questions LOL
    In the mean time, I'm ordering the manual and you can expect a message when it comes in.

15. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

I*m still up...will send you my number...call in the next 20 or so:)

Quick chat may be worth it:)

16. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

17. PR51

PR51

Thanks AllSteel36...

And Thanks CurbFeeler, I like the way you think!