Register now to get rid of these ads!

Norm grabowski 1933-2012

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FLAT-TOP BOB, Oct 12, 2012.

1. frank spittle

frank spittle

Truly one of my heros since finding out he owned the Kookie "T". Seeing that car on 77 Sunset Strip back in the '50s had a lot to do with me being a gearhead for the next 50 years. RIP Norm. My condolences to his family and friends.

2. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

Oh man this breaks my heart. Met him while in college and was just an amazing guy to visit with. Godspeed...Norm

3. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Met Norm at the Columbus nats in 90... walked up to him and started talking about his T bucket, and some other things I remembered from feautures and interviews from Dads old Rod and Custom Magazines....he was impressed that a youngster (22 year old) like myself had some knowlege about his exploits...I did not ask for a picture that day and regretted it, so the next day I went back to find him, he was selling his wooden scooters at the time, and asked for a picture, which he gladly posed for...I'll have to find it and post it.

He told a great story of how the Kookie T was driven into a post during a scene for 77 sunset strip, and how it got repaired etc....one of a kind. Godspeed

4. melsfine39

melsfine39

That was one guy who in EVERY picture you see of him looked like he was having a GOOD TIME!!!, Sad news Mel:D

5. So sad to hear this. R.I.P. Norm.

6. Right on brother Larry. I will be watching those clouds as I know it will happen....
    RIP, NORM you will be missed by all, but you left us with some great memories.

7. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

8. RayMiller

RayMiller

Sad day to be a hot rodder! Hart broken, my prayers go out to norms family and loved ones he will be missed.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

9. Spike!

Spike!

RIP Norm- It was great to meet you.

Spike

10. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

So sad to hear of Norms passing. I never met him, one of those people that I had always wanted to meet. RIP Norm!

11. R.I.P. He was a true original. What a better world we would all live in if their were more like him.

12. HarryT

HarryT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

RIP Norm. Condolences to friends and family.
    Jim

13. Bummer deal. RIP.

14. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

god speed norm R.I.P

15. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

rip nice talented man. was lucky to meet him at a party at a friends house.

16. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

It will be a sad cruise night at Toluca Lake tonight, R&C just did a shoot using Norm's shoot for life as a guide at our Bob's. Will miss his sense of humor, like the pic I have of him wearing the FREE PEE-WEE! shirt with the zipper pulled down exposing the letters. Godspeed Normie Poo!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  17. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

If you read all the previous posts the one constant is that everyone considered Norm a friend, even if we had never had the pleasure of meeting him. He would go out of his way to make us average guys feel important when we did have the honor of meeting him. How many other celebrities do you know who have that ability and caring for others ?

I have got to find the letter Norm wrote me years ago after I wrote a "fan" letter to him. Norm Grabowski actually took his valuable time to sit down and hand write a letter to a nobody like me ! But if you look at some of the stories posted here it was just the way Norm was.:)

It's very hard to type with tears in my eyes, I've lost a good friend today.

Don

18. Sad to hear this news today. It is sad to see another great artist move on but it is
    even more difficult to come to grips with the pain and suffering Norm experienced in
    his last days. I am grateful for an end to his battle. He was a truly inspiring man.
    Your spirit loves on Norm, God bless you and your loved ones and
    Godspeed, hot rod man!

Respect and condolences,

Mark

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  19. Jen......

Jen......

very sad to hear , great person who helped many

20. -Brent-

-Brent-

Wow. This sucks to read.

I met Norm at the LSRU 10 and he spoke like we'd known each other for years. Not a lot of guys like him left in the world.

21. Diecastdeluxe

Diecastdeluxe
    from Ohio

I was in Columbus years ago, and I had just met Cassandra Petersen (Elvira), I walked away from her and a few steps away Norm was standing by a truck with big pipes behind the cab. As I got near him, he made that whistle sound, and I stopped. I said "hello Norm, it's really great to meet you", and he gave me his little salute. I told him I really loved trucks with stacks, to which he replied: "I like mine stacked too" and I said..."trucks", to which he answered: "yes, that's what I meant" and then he did his whistle again. :D

Rest In Peace Norm, it will be strange knowing I'll never get another e-mail from you.

22. gasheat

gasheat
    from Dallas

Norm would attend the Roundup in Austin and hang with Bob Owens in the swap meet. My swap meet space is across from Bob's. One year Norm comes over to my space alone and looks around at my stuff. We talked for a bit and I asked him how he felt being famous. He said he really did not care so much for it but he did enjoy the friends he made. Best answer ever. RIP

23. 52stude43

52stude43

RIP --- Hammerhead

Attached Files:

• Burt.jpg
      Burt.jpg
      File size:
      42.5 KB
      Views:
  24. Wish I could have known him better. Longer.

[​IMG]

Rest in peace Norm...

Jim Harrison

25. ThrottleJockey

ThrottleJockey

I will have some crown royal in his memory....RIP

26. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

Sad to read of this news. Norm stayed with me several years ago. I fondly remember his roots blown Suburban. We went out and got a 10' mini sailboat and tried to sail to Catalina island.

God Speed Normie Poo

27. Larjk9

Larjk9

Big loss. Only met him once, but it stuck. Godspeed Norm.
    God's Hot Rods gets another great one.

28. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

29. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

The best thing about this is at least he is not suffering any more, his quality of life was really bad the last couple weeks, he was a great man and a huge help to many rodders and will be missed but it would have been very sad to see him continue to suffer. R.I.P. Jim

30. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

I feel most sorry for the people that never met Norm.Even if you met Norm for a second it was the best second of your life.I was lucky to have talked with him several times over the years even though i was not close to him.Everyone was his friend and he made sure you felt that.The Greatest Hot Rodder to have ever lived.I will always smile when i remember the times when i talked to him.I do feel a loss for the family and his Hot Rod family but he left LOTS of good memories.His memories will live on FOREVER.God Bless Norm.