Register now to get rid of these ads!

56 chevy sedan delivery trim

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fastlane666, Sep 13, 2012.

1. fastlane666

fastlane666

Hey folks i just bought my wife a real solid rust free 56 chevy sedan delivery. i'm looking for yer opinions on the chrome plated trim on the car. i think i know the answer should i re chrome the original stuff or buy it new? is the repo stuff of quality?everything that is plated is lightly pitted and green in color.

2. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Buy new, send me the old stuff. My response might be biased though because I need that stuff! ;)

3. Nitro crew chief

Nitro crew chief
    from Illinois

The trim that is on the side of the car will be stainless, so it will need polished, the bumpers, are chrome plated, and from what I hear you would be best to have them rechromed, the repops are not as good. The headlight benzels and grill and trim are stainless too, and I think I have read that thise items are OK repopped. Check out the TriFive forums, you will get a lot of information there. www.trifives.com

4. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Headlight benzels are pot metal and chromed. The grill bars are stainless but the outer grill "edge" is pot metal and chromed. The side tirm is stainless. All stainless trim is repolished not rechromed. People never understand the difference.

5. squirrel

squirrel

By the time they get done with a car, they probably understand the difference.

I agree with the above suggestions...repair and polish the stainless parts, get the original bumpers straightened and replated, and replace the pot metal parts if you need to. I kind of like original chrome if it's in decent condition, I don't automatically replace or replate everything. but I'm spoiled living in AZ, some chrome plated potmetal parts survive 60 years in remarkably good condition. There's still quite a few original chrome parts on my 55

6. Repop stainless will not match the real stuff. The head light bezels and tail light bezels are pot metal.

7. squirrel

squirrel

good point, I replaced one of my side trim pieces on the door with a repop (couldn't find a good used one), I had to beat on it and do some sanding and repolishing to get it to sort of match the originals. It came out ok.

8. fastlane666

fastlane666

Well mY concerns are the pot metal parts and the grille im thinking of having some of it redone and replacing the rest. As for the bumpers i only have the rear. I will re,chrome it. Im looking for a front bumper and brackets.

9. fastlane666

fastlane666

Oh and i know i can fix the stainless steel stuff.

10. fastlane666

fastlane666

I know thats my concern rechrome or not

11. squirrel

squirrel

It depends on the condition of your parts, the ability of the chrome shop, and the quality of the new parts. And...the cost of it all.

If there are significant pits in the pot metal parts, then it's probably better to get new ones. If they are nice and solid, and your chrome shop does a good job at a fair price, it would be neat to have the originals redone.

We can't tell without pictures, of course.

12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Another Sedan Delivery!!!!! They are even making a STAINLESS grille now for the 56. The "chrome" on repoped grills does'nt last. The worst part on 56's are the tail light housings; they are usually pitted. I have a pair of Genes repop tail lights, still new in the boxes; the ones on my Delivery are in really good shape however. You can almost build a new 56 now without even having to start off with a hulk/body; everything is available through Danchuk and several other Tri-Five vendors. I also have a good friend that deals in 55-56 Chevrolet cars AND used parts; if anyone has Tri-Five needs, PM me for contact info. Butch/56sedandelivery.

13. A Rodder

A Rodder

I spent about 2500 on parts fior me wagon after the repaint. Glass, sashing, rocker trims, fender stone guards, handles rubber, etc.

The 500 genes taillights are kind of a let down. They looked good and fit good but 12 months later the chrome is discoloring. The rocker trim pieces are so thin you can't really put them on without screwing them up.
    All my stainless was excellent and only the wind shield pieces need a little straightening.

The fender birds, hood emblem are turning a tan hughish color in the "webbing" of the pieces.

The chrome grill bar is cut so bad on the pass side there is about a 7/8 gap to the fender chrome piece and about 3/8 on the other side. Not do to hood to fender alignment, but due to the angle at which the bar was cut on.

I bought all my stuff through Ralph Roberts out of brush prairie wa. Most of is danchuck though.

I have a whole new respect for those that source out and are willing to pony up for NOS pieces.

I am not the type to bash on businesses and am not doing that here. But since you asked inparticular about aftermarket 56 stuff I thought I would share.

14. A Rodder

A Rodder

I shouldve mentioned my car is garaged, hasn't seen rain and I think has only been left out overnight four or five times. So I don't think it is my climate. I think it is more to do with the general lack of quality in aftermarket products that are made for least cost as possible.

15. i have dealt with Ralph Roberts before and found the experience a good one, very keen about what he sells otherwise it just comes back and ends up being a clusterfuck for everyone!:D:D

16. fastlane666

fastlane666

well i guess i need to find a good chrome plater in my region. this car has been apart for 30 years and been indoors the whole time. like i said the pot metal parts are green and very lightly pitted. i just got it all home yesterday so i'm taking inventory after a tattoo appointment today. i'll let ya all know what i buy and what i repair.

17. swbatt

swbatt

Good idea.

18. onlyonthurs62

onlyonthurs62