Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rotary or Beverly shear?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tinbender, Oct 11, 2012.

1. looking to buy a shear. What do you prefer, rotary or beverly style? Mostly for 18-19 ga., fabrication of body panels. thanks!

2. metalshapes

metalshapes

Never tried a rotary, but I love the Beverly shear.

Cant afford a real one, right now.

But even the Harbour Freight knock off is a half way decent option.
    ( no where near as nice as a real; one, though...)

3. I'll be going with Baileigh.They offer both. the rotary is 100.00 less, but I'm finally able to skip the HF crap, and buy some good stuff! I'll also be buying a shrinker/stretcher, and bead roller. Any input on these tools would be appreciated, although I've heard nothing but good about this company. not to mention their support of the HAMB!

4. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

Beverly hands down. I use one most every day.

5. i have a Beverly B-2 shear , i can not imagine my life without it

6. metalshapes

metalshapes

So is the Baileigh/Beverly a Baileigh or a Beverly?

If its a Baileigh, what is the price difference from it to a Beverly?

7. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

I screwed up and passed on a used Beverly shear at a Covell workshop years ago and still regret it. I bought a slitting shear before I understood the difference. I'm not sure the difference between what a rotary will do vs a Beverly vs a throatless?

8. 19-c

19-c

9. I had a friend that was married to a Beverly,,in the divorce she sure sheared him! :D

I've used a Beverly shear and like metalshapes I'm not familiar with the rotary. HRP

10. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is the B3 I just bought off a local tin shop that was closing after 3 generations in business. Sad story but I got a great tool; it cuts 18 ga. like a hot knife through butter.

Attached Files:

11. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

My Beverly - is awesome!!!

12. oj

oj

I have both and the rotary is for sale - so, the message is to buy the beverly.
    One of those plate shears is mighty handy too.

13. russthetinman

russthetinman
    from KC MO

The material seems to slip in my rotary and it leaves ''teeth'' marks -the beverly is superior in my mind.Skip the import junk and wait till you have the coin to buy american, you will not regret.

14. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

a real Beverly is better than any import I've seen, mine is 60+ years old save you pennies and Buy American!
    Jacin you pm box is full!!!

15. Can't comment on the sheer but I just ordered a Baileigh powered bead roller. I haven't got it yet but for me it was by far the best deal and I like to support a company that has given so much to this site so it was a no brainer IMO. Hopefully I will see it in the next couple of weeks and then I can give a honest review of it.

16. I'll be calling Shane in the morning!:D:D I'm pretty excited. I've been doing without, and improvising for a long time. Resisting the lure of cheap HF crap til I could afford real tools! Even without what he does for us here, I've looked around, his stuff is a good honest deal. I wish I could go power on the bead roller, but I'm getting the beverly style shear also ( thanks for the input guys!) and a shrinker stretcher, so I'm gonna use up the tool fund!

17. Black Primer

Black Primer

Beverly B-3 for me! Picked up a well used one cheap. All parts are availabe from Beverly, located in Chicago. They are also members here on the HAMB.

18. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Beverly......They rule, and they last!
    Mine is about 40 years old, and I got it second hand, and still works like a champ!

19. irace25

irace25
    from NAPA

I got a REAL BEVERLY. Had it for years-- Dont let the neighbors use it, and they dont understand why, so I picked up a cheapee knock off--- leave that thing outside for all the beer guzzlers and sidwalk superintendants, they use the heck out of that one.. No more complaints-- they cut up all kinds of junk with it and leave the mess on the ground. Been thinkin about gettin me some goats to eat all them leftovers.

20. NealinCA

NealinCA

I picked up this throatless rotary shear recently.

[​IMG]

It will do some neat things I can't do with a Beverly...but space wise, if I had to choose one...it'd be the Beverly.

Sergeant82d likes this.
  21. That's nice Neal! I'd keep that in the shop just to look at!

22. alchemy

alchemy

Send that one back home Neal!

23. Thanks for posting the photo Neal,,I have seen one of these recently stuck over in a corner of a shop but was totally unaware of what it was. HRP

24. Just ordered all three tools from Baileigh! Damn I'm excited. Looks like I'll be spending next week looking out the window for the FedX truck!

25. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I have a Beverly and use it for quick cuts on heavy stock (1/8"), for sheet metal I like using a 6" corner notcher. It will handle up to 16ga steel, and cuts an outside radius great. Don't pass one up if you find a deal, it is a handy tool.

Attached Files: