Register now to get rid of these ads!

Painting a motor, tips?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gearhead Graphics, Oct 1, 2012.

1. I use brake parts cleaner and then the final wash just before paint I use Dawn dishwashing liquid. It gets rid of the solvents and any residual oil/grease. Works great! Of course I have only painted my engines with duplicolor engine paint.

2. huskersnb2

huskersnb2
    from nebraska

maybe you could talk your wife into doing it and sit back and drink a beer or two

3. huskersnb2

huskersnb2
    from nebraska

just kidding about the wife thing I just got my motor dipped at the local machine shop so all i have to do is sand it a little to paint it Im buying my paint at orielys with 500 degree heat paint in the rattle can to do mine

4. Buzznut

Buzznut

If you can find RED HOT (I think it's made by Auto Magic) then use that stuff to clean the engine. I've NEVER found anything that liquifies grease and oil as fast. It literally made my grimey engine so clean that it squeaked.

5. billcove

billcove
    from mass

did for me. let the rattle can dry before clear

6. 68vette

68vette

I normally paint my engines with epoxy primer then catalized enamel....never a problem or lose of any paint anywhere.......BUT....

The engine smell in the basement after 8 years will make your eyes water....my corvette with reg spray can paint never bothers my eyes....so my 49 Fleetline engine will have rattle can paint just because I want to go into the basement most days and some nights.

If my car was being kept in a garage away from the house or not connected to it, then I would again use the epoxy/c a enamel without a thought.