Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fitting 31 Tudor Sedan Body To This Frame?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by louder50, Oct 6, 2012.

1. louder50

louder50
    from Michigan

I am looking for some info on the right way to fit my 31 Model A Sedan Body on this frame. The frame was made by Ionia Hot Rod Shop I am told it was made to fit a Model A. I got the cowl section sitting in place and it looks good but I can't figure out the right way to deal with the rear? When you set it in place there is a big gap where the frame swoops and then kicks up in the rear and there doesn't seem to be a good way to fit the subrails? Do you guys have any pictures or advice on what I need to fabricate to make this happen? I would appreciate any guidance you guys might have!

Attached Files:

2. Inquiring minds want to know. bump

3. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

You will need to make up various size blocks/shims to mount the body on. I used to make them out of hard maple. But the last one. A Vicky leatherback. I used urethane blocks cut out of some sheet goods I aquired at auction. Shimmed with modern body shims. To get good door/cowel fit.

The long "swoop" is also filled with material cut on band saw to fit configuration. Then the subfloor/rails will fit well.

4. louder50

louder50
    from Michigan

If anybody has any pics of the fittment process I would be thrilled to see them. I am having trouble visualizing how I am going to do this? Especially the rear pockets where the rails go out to the back of the body.

5. HotRodDrummer

HotRodDrummer

I would cut the rear body framing so the body sits down on the frame and rework the body framing to fit the sweep of the rail. We notch the front of the rails so you don't need the "shims" mentioned above.

If you have further questions you can call the shop 616 527 6051. I am rarely on the hamb of late.

6. It appears to be a '32 frame and the model A body is flat on the bottom,,you are going to have to drop the body down over the back of the frame and modify your sub rails. HRP

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

8. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Now there's some really bad advice.

9. aaggie

aaggie

When Model A's were being built there were probably as many carpenters as welders assembling them. There were no two frames or bodies the same and they used lots of wood blocks and body shims to get them to line up and the doors to close.

Once you get your frame jacked up and level you start by putting the cowl section in place and solid. Now you adjust the body as close as possible and hang the doors. Two doors are easier that four but take your time and get the gaps as close as you can and keep checking the fit. You will notice that the body will twist as you tighten bolts so go slowly and keep shimming until you are satisfied.

If your floors are gone you will need to weld in some braces side to side and top to bottom to keep the body square when you fab up the floor and support rails. Good luck with your build.

10. upspirate

upspirate

Are you using fenders or not? That could have some bearing on fitment also

11. There's got to be at least 50 threads on modification of rear sub rails.
    They need to be completely custom made ( some one used to manufacturer them & maybe still does )

12. spitzbohunkel

spitzbohunkel

Steadfast mfg in mansfield oh. makes the subrail kits to put an A on a B frame. Call hank at 419 526 3132 He manufactures them he has the answers, and is more than happy to help you. dave

13. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

These are the rear subrails mfg. by Steadfast Mfg. Co. that I got to mount my Model A Coupe body onto my '32 frame rails.
    The Rolf Coupe, Chris Casny's Coupe, and the Tindall Coupe are all excellent build threads showing the fabrication of the rear subrails by the builders.

Attached Files: