Register now to get rid of these ads!

'59/'60 Cadillac dual master cylinder conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomination, May 19, 2007.

1. Abomination

Abomination

In case anyone hasn't posted it, here's how to do this, from the Cadillac Lassalle Club forum:
    http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/forum/index.php/topic,43988.0.html

"Ed Mobley

Converting 60 to dual reservoir master cylinder
    « on: May 07, 2004, 05:41:59 pm »

All,

I just wanted to share my experience converting my 60 Coupe to a dual reservoir master cylinder for safety purposes.

I found out that a rebuilt booster/master cylinder combo for the 1967/68 Cadillac with all wheel drum brakes fits on the 1960 Cadillac and does not interfere with anything in the engine compartment. I chose the 1967/1968 model year since these rebuilt units (booster and master cylinder) can be had for around $100. (The ones from AutoZone (part # 50-1117) are rebuilt by A-1 Cardone and have a lifetime warranty). Also, these years had all drum brakes as you need a master cylinder that has the proper check valve. Dont use a unit designed for front disc brakes.

The brake pedal push rod is about 1/4" longer than the stock unit. To compensate for this, I put a few washers between the brake pedal bracket and the firewall to get the correct geometry. (You cant adjust the push rod to my knowledge). The studs on the booster are long enough to allow one to take up this extra quarter inch. I used all metal lock nuts (aka Stover nuts)for an extra margin of safety.

The studs on the booster are spaced about 1/8" further apart than the stock ones. A very slight enlargement of the holes in the firewall and the brake pedal bracket is all that is needed.

I then isolated the front and rear brakes hooking them up to their respective portion of the master cylinder.

The result of my efforts is a dual reservoir braking system that doesnt look like a hack job. The car brakes so well with all wheel drum that I no longer feel the urgent need to go with disc brakes. Ill be posting some pictures shortly.

Regards,

Ed"

And here's the pics:
    http://www.photopaige.com/edscars/60caddy/CaddyWebSitev2_files/NewBrakes.htm

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  2. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

thanks for posting.

what did you do for brake lines? believe the stock lines go to a merge block underneath the stock single pot master, with a single line going up from there.

were you able to take those same lines, remove the block and reach each of them to the new dual pot master?

thanks,

-scott noteboom

3. Abomination

Abomination

Here's quote from the thread (I posted the link above) in the Cadillac LaSalle Forum - it's one of the methods I've discussed on here before:

"robert p millian

Re: Converting 60 to dual reservoir master cylinder
    « Reply #13 on: September 17, 2006, 02:27:39 pm »
    Ed

I have found the easiest and cheapest way to convert to a dual system is to buy the 1962 dual master cylinder and install it into your 1960 booster. You will need the distribution box off a 62 parts car to run the 2nd brake line from the master cylinder to the box.

bob"

4. caddylakman

caddylakman
    from USA

Just did the upgrade to the 67/68 master booster combo, followed eds directions, and it looks great! But now I'm on to the plumbing. I updated the wheel cylinders and rubber hoses a couple years back, and I now need new hard lines (darn rust). So I'd like to know, did any of you who did this conversion, decide to use a proportioning valve???

5. kzeliminator

kzeliminator
    from chicago

booster just started leaking.....damn it.....just did a master too, oh well the whole assembly is less that what I paid for the master