Register now to get rid of these ads!

65 riviera carrier bearing, a vibration, and a squeal...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

So as mentioned in my road trip posts, I had a pretty good vibration for the last 1500 miles of my road trip. It felt like a carrier bearing, so I replaced it this morning. Sure enough the old one was toast.

So I get it all back together and get on the road... The vibration is still there... Damnit... And now I have what sounds like a fan belt squeal coming from under the car.

Any ideas? The ujoints looked and felt fine and as far as could tell, the cv joints were cool.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

Dented driveshaft? Wheels out of balance?

3. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

broken tire belt?

4. Wowcars

Wowcars

Harmonic Balancer? Could be cracked or chipped. Seen it before.

5. The carrier bearing should have some adjustment, slide back and look uo the drive shaft, the front shaft should be running straight back from the tranny. That will cure your squeel, make sure that the slip joint on hte rear shaft is full of grease, they get dried out and get slop in them that may cure your vibration. Also make sure that you don't have a dry U-joint or velocity joint.
    Or take a day or two off and come see me, I'll find your vibration and squeel. Might be pretty cool to see you hauling that bugger behind the coupe as well. ;)

6. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

I've seen a bent yolk before too in a TH400 application

7. Ramblur

Ramblur

Just from what I recall on my old X frame Chevies, it was important to
    have weight on the back axle (ride height) before tightening the carrier
    bearing bolts...

8. slammed

slammed

If if were the motor, bring the rpm's up while parked. No vib? Drivetrain. Have the shaft check out/rebalanced by a pro. Just as a process of elimination, and piece of mind. Did you have a load on the rear tires as you tightened the carrier mounting bolts?

9. JJK

JJK

How's the trans mount?

10. bb1970

bb1970

Ryan, I've had issues with vibration in my Riv. It's probably a u-joint. Hell there are only 5 to replace. I had to replace the rear u-joint in mine. And keep them all greased up. I still feel something on occasion. But nobody else does. Maybe I'm paranoid. Take a look around on this site. http://forums.aaca.org/f177/

11. Did you get the front and rear driveshafts indexed properly? All ujoints have to be aligned the same (learned this the hard way with a '72 Chevy truck).

12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

So... Either I'm a complete idiot or this is kind of amazing. I'm betting on the first...

I put the car on the lift checked all my angles, u-joints, cv joints, etc... Everything was in spec as far as I can tell. So I go for another drive. The vibration is gone. The squeal is gone.

What in the Sam fuck?

I pull in hard and get to 90mph. Squeal comes back and so does the vibration. It follows me all the way home even at slower speeds.

Pop the hood and rev the motor. Located the streak.

photo.jpg

That's an exploded clutch fan. That's the squeal. But that couldn't be my vibration could it???? I go for a fanless drive and its smooth as butta... Color me confused as usual...

13. Probably would account for the vibration, you could be getting a harmonic that is passing through your engine or chassis.

Here is one for you, the ravens roadster had a death wobble. When we pulled his 305 and put my ballanced engine in it the death wobble went away. Harmonics can wreck havock on about anything.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That's crazy to me... But hell, I'll buy it...

Now off to find a suitable clutch fan.

15. I got on in the basement if you don't have any luck.

16. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

17. Car quest. 77247. Dallas warehouse has 1

18. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Ryan: You are dang luckly that fan clutch didn't go have lunch on your radiator,it was heading that way.

19. If after you fix the fan and the vibration comes back, 9 times out of 10 its a tire.

20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I know, right? I've been through that one before...

21. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I've had a bad fan clutch cause a vibration that felt like a driveline vibration before. I also chased it for a while and it surprised the hell out of me when I figured it out....

No shit!

Malcolm

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I started on the carrier bearing this morning at about 8am. It wasn't until about 3pm until I figured out it was the fan the whole time. Total soul sucker... I'd give anything to be one of those guys that just has a knack for the mechanical.

23. X3!!!:eek:

Good bit of troubleshooting to find it, when you were so focused on the bearing and u-joints!

I would still be under there counting needle bearings!:p

24. Driveshaft.
    Since I got screwed on the earlier prediction, what do I win?

25. deto

deto

If a clutch fan fails like that would it send a blade through the hood or is that just the fixed blade fans? Cuz I have seen the fixed blade fans shoot right through a hood on a 50 chevy...

26. Lumpy

Lumpy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When my water pump let go on the way to last years HAMB drags it vibrated the whole car. I honestly knew I had a bad cv or support bearing so I thought that was my vibration. Changed the water pump the vibe got a lot better. Changed all the u joints,bearings and cvs this year and got better still! I do still have the Riviera rattle though I think it is the fuel return line. One more thing, just curious does yours seep heat around the steering column?

27. That could easily have been all your problems. But you found IT before IT found you. When you lost the vibration for a while, the fan just took a set where it didn't vibrate for a spell.

Bob

28. Ramblur

Ramblur

Hey ,you found it before the dreaded wham bam followed by the sweet hot
    smell of antifreeze... I call that, "Winning"...

29. 5Wcoupe

5Wcoupe
    from L.A., Ca.

Been there on a few of these issues with my '64 Electra.
    Sorry to be chiming in late but here's 2 things.
    That carrier bearing should be locked down while the suspension is loaded with wheels on the ground. And..
    If you're feeling that clutch fan vibration, you should check your motor mounts too.
    Put the car in drive and with your foot on the brake rev it a little and see if your motor lifts up on the right side. This style mount becomes separated and transfers a whole lot of vibrations.
    Good luck,
    Steve

30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

+1 And or worse. I've fixed the aftermath of a couple of those that came apart running down the road and it wasn't pretty. Lucky for me I got paid to work on them and they weren't mine.