Register now to get rid of these ads!

No brakes on the studebomb

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by edweird, Oct 8, 2012.

1. edweird

edweird

nova front disc, ford explorer rear disc. gm master cyl.manual. what am i doing wrong!

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Dude, you're going to have to give more info.

3. edweird

edweird

lines are all plumed, no air seems to be in the lines. but ya gotta mash like hell just to stop it.

4. edweird

edweird

can ya see he master cyl. in this pic.

Attached Files:

5. deto

deto

What's the mc bore? With the volume needed for 4 wheel discs it might not be enough? Does it take a lot of effort to stop or a lot of pumping? What's the pedal ratio? Prop valve? Residual valves?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

6. servi53

servi53

need power brake booster for discs generally, if I remember correctly

7. manyolcars

manyolcars

was it working before?

8. Do you have any pedal Ed??? Is it a new master? Did you replace all the brake lines??? How did you bleed em? The way I was taught was to set the car up on jack stands, fill the master res. with fluid, then open all the bleeders. When the fluid starts freely running out, tighten bleeders. Refill master and you should be good to go. This process can take a while to work as any air bubbles will have to work their way through the lines. Just be patient. I was also told to NOT pump the brakes when bleeding as this can cause more bubbles to form. Just apply steady pressure as someone else opens and closes the bleeder.

9. oops nevermind!!! What is the MC bore size?

10. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Be sure to have about 1/16 to 1/8 play in the plunger rod be for it plunges and power bleed it?

11. edweird

edweird

i dont know, what should it be?

12. trollst

trollst

Disc brakes require more pressure to operate than drums, I'd suggest a power booster, or get used to high effort on the pedal.

13. edweird

edweird

it takes alot of effort to stop it. dont know, dont have one, dont have them either.i was told i didnt need all that with a swinging pedal.i'm not a brake man, but i will figger this out!

14. edweird

edweird

ithink if i use the ford explorer mastr cyl and boostr, i'll be on the right track. thanks yall.

15. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

My 32 coupe has disc drum and no power booster...stops on a dime.

16. MISCONSTUDE

MISCONSTUDE

Ed, I've got a 1" bore master cyl. with my disc/drum set up on MISCONSTUDE. I spent a lot of time talking to the people at SSbrakes. They were very helpful. The ratio on the pedal has a lot to do with pedal feel.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  17. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

try swapping the lines on the m/c. sounds stupid but it fixed the wifes falcon.

18. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Bench bleed the MC beforehand. All that is left is doing the lines. Start with the wheel furthest away from MC and then the net closet and so forth and so on until all 4 wheels have been bled.

19. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I also have a couple of cars (OK, 60's Corvettes) that have non-power 4 wheel disc brakes. They take a little extra effort, but once you get used to them, they seem normal. They probably weigh just about as much as the Studebaker.

20. edweird

edweird

according to master power brakes co. i may need to use the ford explorer master cyl. and booster. they say it has a longer piston stroke to feed the rear disc properly. i'm calling them today.

21. make sure your bleeder screws are on top on all four calipers. sometimes it is just a right-to-left screwup.

22. deto

deto

If it takes alot of effort to stop it, and you have a firm pedal, you're gonna need either a booster, or a higher pedal ratio.