Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chassis Engineering Trouble 40 PU

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34hemipu, Oct 10, 2012.

1. 34hemipu

34hemipu

Mounted front swaybar , upper shock mounts hit , called CEI , sent them pictures , no followup , called again , nothing 3times . Frustrated and wanting to use the bar I cut the upper mts and made it work . Anyone spot what could have been wrong ? Looks like the bar should have a dog leg , But CEI ( George ) says" I got the right parts , man ".
    Pete and Jakes next time Baby !

Thanks , Mike

Attached Files:

2. Bar was probably for something else.

3. ajanzen

ajanzen

ive never had any trouble with pete and jakes. and you can always get someone on the phone.

4. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

He should have been able to review the pics and explain what was done wrong on your end if thats his stance. I have the opossite opinion given your pics and his blowing you off answer.

5. I had the same setup from Chassis Engineering on my 40 sedan and I didn't have any problems. HRP

6. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Just asking, is that how they said to mount the bottom of the shock?? Looks like if it was kick-out a bit, it would have worked without the modification.. However I'm just guessing....

7. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have had mine mocked up and didn't have your problem, however your upper shock mount is different than mine. If you need it ,I can dig out all the parts and reassemble the sway bar.

Attached Files:

8. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

X's 2. used this setup a few times,no problems

9. 34hemipu

34hemipu

Joel , looks like I have the shackle opposite of yours , your bar fits ? This is what I'm wondering if I have installed something incorrectly .

10. 34hemipu

34hemipu

Are you guys using their 47" axle ? Their instructions say to use the swaybar for their 35-36 kit . I can't be sure this is what I have, the sheet says at the top 37-40 kit , but again they (George) says that does'nt matter . The instruction sheet is the same for them all .

11. chaddilac

chaddilac

I guess I'm not seeing where it would hit?

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I was going to ask if you were using a stock '37-'41 type axle, or if you were using an after market type aimed at the '28-'34? The spring perch center would be a bit narrower on the latter and the problems you encountered would arise. The perch centers on the earlier stuff is right at about 36", where as the centers on stock '37-'41 stiff is more like 38" or so (I'd have to walk out and measure something to pin it down exactly). Also, beware that if you aftermarket axle is a "narrow" type with 46" king pin centers, the perch centers get as narrow as about 34" or so. Any and all would have an effect on where the shocks mount in realation to the sway bar.

13. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I do know that the pickups didn't come with sway-bars from the factory. I was told the sway-bar won't fit on the pickup, never was told why so I never attempted to put one on.

14. I've never heard of anything from Chassis Engineering NOT fitting properly. Their stuff may not be sexiest stuff on the market but it fits & it works.

I'm betting something was mislabeled, stuffed in the wrong box, or the proper combination of parts wasn't used.

JH

15. 34hemipu

34hemipu

I agree that they build some fine products . I have their dropped "narrow" axle ,on this deal. Things were fine until I tried to put their sway bar on . All I was asking them was could it be the wrong bar , instead I got the blow off . I guess customer service is not huge with them , or at least the guy answering the phone .
    I pie cut the top of the shock mounts and moved them out , so this will work but one of their sales guys at Nats North wondered why I had a problem . I can't seem to be able to talk to this guy again though . I'm just going to live with it , I just won't spend 2 grand with them next time .

Mike

16. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have used this sway bar on several 40's with no issues-but my shock setup is different-stock ford type uprights and eye on top of perch pin(Pete and Jake's). Just bought a 40 coupe project with the same setup (shocks hooked up to shackles) but it's not here at the moment--will have to go take pics. Have never had a problem with CE parts but I have never tried to call them either.

Also the peanut thing that goes on the bottom of the perch pin is very near and sometimes at or below the scrub line--have heated the peanut to assure clearance.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I'm going to guess then that the bar is made to fit a stock width '37-'41 axle, and that by going to the narrower stuff your running into clearance issues. If Chassis Engineering isn't able to help, I would consider "tweeking" the swept back parts of the sway bar just a touch in a press to gain the clearance you need. Not much is gonna be necessary to get what you need. I think I would try Chassis Engineering one more time and speak to somebody else though.

The only other thing that comes to mind is, how is the hole in your front crossmember that locates the spring? I have seen those crack and deform enough to allow the whole front suspension to slide back and forth as the car turns. Might be worth looking at?

18. George/Maine

George/Maine

My Guess its for a Mustang ll front end.I got one looks like it but have no put it on yet.

19. Here is a picture of a CE bar that is supposed to work with their axle, it's a used bar I picked up; but have not installed yet.

Look at the location of the silver area where the bar rode in the mount, looks like the bar is narrower at the front (maybe at the back also)than the bar in your pictures.

Hopefully I'll find out this winter how my collection of parts fit together.

Attached Files:

20. 34hemipu

34hemipu

Thanks guys , I think it is the wrong bar . Sorry for the rant !

21. nutter_street_rodder

nutter_street_rodder
    from Nevis MN

I bought the shock kit many years ago, but seem to remember the instructions said that they are a left & a right. If not mounted correctly the sway bar wouldn't work without interference. I used them on a pickup and didn't use a sway bar.