Register now to get rid of these ads!

To buy or not to buy...1953 Chevy Belair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54LedSled, Oct 9, 2012.

1. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Depends on what else is listed in the car - what engine, interior, glass, body work, paint, wheels/tires...!!! And you didn't say if it was a two door sedan, or a two door hardtop (which are rare), if it's a four door -no.

'57's command higher prices simply because they are so desirable and there's a ton of aftermarket parts available, they are the " '32 Fords" of the fifties era...

R-

2. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

You would seriously blow 15K on a car that is only 4 hours away without looking at it?
    Man, I wish I had that kind of money to toss about...

3. High5

High5

Like others have stated, go look for yourself. One guys idea of laser straight is another's idea of marginal. Pictures cover a multitude of sins.

A friend owns a mechanic's shop and one of his clients buys cars sight unseen all the time (primarily Ebay). Has kept his shop busy for the last five years. Not a good idea.

Check it out first!!!!

4. 2935ford

2935ford

What's that about "buyer beware"!

5. Bill in Al

Bill in Al

I'd give 15K for the 57 before I'd give that for the 53.

6. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

No shit! Sorry but I personally wouldn't pay $15K for that car...especially when I could spend $15K on a car that I could build to my specifications! It's way overpriced...I even think anything over $8K is laughable...just my $.02...

7. belair

belair

If he has more than 15K in the car and doesn't know if the gauges work right, etc., tells me one of two things-he's stupid or a liar. Don't want this car too much-you really want a hardtop, right?

8. Ol Dawg

Ol Dawg

Do your self a BIG favor. Take the time to go and look it over. Then worry about the price. I wont go into it, but I speak from experiance.

9. 54LedSled

54LedSled

It's a 2 door sedan...http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=738078

10. 54LedSled

54LedSled

Yes I like the sedans..but love the hardtops...2 doors of course. Everything I've seen has been out of state though :(

11. 54LedSled

54LedSled

lol...Yeah that 63 VW...fun little ride...sold it though...now I'm down to my Harley...need some classic wheels again. :D

12. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

If you don't have to have a 53/54 Chevy and are looking for a nice driver, there are plenty to be had within a hundred mile of us.

For that money this come to mind, but no where near the same category as a 53/54 Chevy I realize... BUT It'S THE SAME COLOR!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=734057

13. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

i agree with everyone here,too much,too close to not go see.but i have a story to tell about appraisers.i know a guy that bought an ot car,paid an appraiser to look at it .this was a pretty big price car.they told him all ok,when he got to looking the trunk pan was rusted out,i helprd put the new one in after we cut 2 out.one over the other.don't always trust others. good luck

14. I personally have always liked the 54s better than the 53s, even though
    they are basically the same car. I think I would be inclined to take a
    further look at the 54 in the craigslist ad posted. Even that may be a
    tad high, but at least is a lesser starting figure.

There are things about the 53 that the seller can't or doesn't want to
    answer specifically (like the gauges).......hasn't he driven the car around
    to see if they work?? I would guess they don't work. So you probably
    would have to do some things and spend additional money right off the
    bat.

Just my 2 centavos.

15. teejay99

teejay99

Concerning " qualified appraisers "
    ...guy next door to me was selling his 'Vette . An interested buyer from another province hired a local " qualified appraiser " and the appraiser says to my neighbour " I'll give the buyer a glowing report on the 'Vette if you give me $500 "!!! So the "appraiser" was going to get paid on both ends .
    Terry

16. deto

deto

Over priced...

17. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Agreed! Make a day of it. Stop grab a bite to eat etc...

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

15 grand? you could have gotten this great looking 51 for only $6200.00 on ebay. it is widened and plopped on a front wheel drive 90's Buick chassis. quality work like this is hard to find:confused:

[​IMG]

19. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

I'm sure that there are unscrupulous appraisers just as there are unscrupulous folks in most every profession. That's an unfortunate reality of the world we live in. That doesn't make them all crooks though.

My experience with them has been positive on both sides of the transaction. When I was the seller, I've never had one offer to "fluff" up the appraisal for an additional fee on my end. I'm sure it happens, but I still like my chances hiring someone with the right credentials to look over something I'm laying out a lot of cash for if I can't make the inspection myself.

20. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Whew...and there are guys right here on the HAMB that think '60's kustoms are ugly...!!!

R-

21. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

haha There used to be a guy here on the HAMB that built em like ^^that^^... ugly as hell from any angle.

22. raidmagic

raidmagic

What about the car in post 14?

23. raidmagic

raidmagic

Same guy, same car...

24. 54LedSled

54LedSled

Refering to Post #14...The 54 Belair in Houston is nice. The guy is an older gentleman that bought the car about 3 years ago. Hasn't done much of anything with it. This mean the engine and carb might need a rebuilding. He says it runs...but runs rough. Maybe just bad gas from sitting. To me that means money I'm gonna have to put out to make it a reliable driver. The interior could use some work. Other than that the car is pretty nice. But I would not give him $12 for it. What do you think it's worth?

25. deto

deto

please send me the listing number of this thing...

26. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

same guy, different car. believe it or not, he's done it twice.

27. Way overpriced I think. Know of a nice 54 convertible that about 18 months ago went for less than that. But if you decide you want it, MAKE time to check it. Check floorpans beneath carpet and rear seat, seals around windshields, take a paint guage to check for body filler.

28. raidmagic

raidmagic

Wow that's scary...

It's a better starting price point and you could work on the price from that point. Without being able to see it in person I could see 10 grand or more for it.

29. Mercchev

Mercchev

That's at most a $7500 car

30. 1928chevycoupe

1928chevycoupe

Too much money.........