Register now to get rid of these ads!

4 on the tree - '55 chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KCTA Chris, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Column shifting isn't fun - really it isn't.
    Its not ergonomically friendly.
    Its not mechanicaly friendly
    Its not performance friendly.

2. 32-3 WINDOW

32-3 WINDOW
    from utah

hotrod primer is correct chevy vans around 66-69 had a factory 4 speed colume shift and it worked great

3. toyota trucks in the 60's had 4spd on column.

4. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

I wouldn't out one in any kind of hot rod but if you happen to have a 63 Valiant with a 170 Slant Six and 3 on the tree, well, there's not much better than that.

5. Flat Roy

Flat Roy

A LONG TIME AGO IN A-----ran a 51 Chev inliner with a Corvette clutch and 4spd. 4 on the column. and a short lever on the floor for reverse. It worked well as long as the column shift was not wore out.

6. mr crocket

mr crocket

Mercedes had a 4 on the tree

Cosmo49 likes this.
  7. Gofannon

Gofannon

Here's one I've been running the past 20 years in my RHD '55 Bel Air 4 door. Shifts OK but needs to be kept in adjustment. Find an extra offset lever, thin the section where the shifter tube engages on all three, cut the column out a bit to let them fit. On the shifter tube, grind a bit off the piece where the gear lever engages to allow it to extend a little further into the upper housing, giving slightly longer travel. Narrow the key at the bottom of the shifter tube that engages into the 3 levers. A Muncie 4 speed can go into reverse while engaged in any forward gear. I welded a small plate to the shifter tube half way up that engages a spring loaded ball when in the position for reverse gear, just gives a little resistance to let me know where to stop for first/second (middle lever in my setup). I still hook 2 gears at once sometimes. Car is basically restored Coral/Shadow Grey 4 door, wide whites, looks like a nana's car. Runs a 350 that until recently was dressed to look like a '59 Vette 283, front mounts and generator etc. Just swapped the carbs out for an old single Quadrajet. Catches a few people out.:)

[​IMG]

8. Gofannon

Gofannon

You're on your own with linkages. I don't know if it would be easier or not on a LHD car, the crazy cross shaft setup we got on RHD cars may allow for more options. A mate of mine converted his '55 to 4 speed colomn shift as well, but he went with cables.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  9. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

10. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

Wow.
    That sees like a great way to do it.
    Thanks for the great pictures, they help a lot.

The cross shaft is crazy.

11. My God that seems like the long way around the barn,but it is right hand steering as well.....so I suppose that is what it is.....
    sure seems like a lot of trouble for little gain.....Yep, Im old/Ha!!

12. Gofannon

Gofannon

The cross shafts are OE for RHD Chevys, I just made a bracket to take an extra one. I did this 30 odd years ago, when I was younger, more energetic, and not so wise. I wish I had an auto in it now.:D
    [​IMG]

Bleach likes this.
  13. terryble

terryble
    from canada

Early sixties Chevs and I belive Pontiacs had an available option four on the tree.

14. ScottV

ScottV

My '62 International Pickup had a 4 speed column shifter

15. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

Roseville Rod and Custom built one for the '55 truck they did a few years back. You may want to give them a holler.

16. Beardedguy

Beardedguy

They do make the column shift 4 speed. I have a ‘68 g10 van that was factory with a 307 with a t-10 and column shift. Been trying to figure out how to rebuild it. Not many of them left out there it seems. Anyone have any info in them? Or how to make them work better?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Holy moldy thread Batman!
    I try to not say "never" but something's fishy here, the last standard T-10 in a Chevrolet was 1963 (ish). Buicks and Pontiacs carried them into 65/66, best I've found.
    The OEM Super T-10 came on scene about 73/74, I'm guessing this van came with a Saginaw and the trans got swapped at some point.

18. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

This appears to be a T10 with a Oddball tailhousing rear mount [Sag's don't have the reverse lever in the tailhousing]

4spd column.jpg

19. rudestude

rudestude

I had a 66 Saab that was a 3 cylinder. 2 stroke w/3carbs and a 4 SPD. column shift.... I drove that thing around for three weeks not knowing that it was a 4 SPD I didn't know that you had to pull out and down for reverse I would have friends push me backwards if needed and I thought the extra forward gear was a OD or something....it was hell of a fun car....

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. jeepsterhemi

jeepsterhemi

In about '74, I had a 1954 Hillman convertible with a very tire 4 flathead and 4 foward speed at the column activated with cables and pulley system.

I street raced with city busses....I have a chance to win if the bus was full of people....if the bus was empty....loose everytime....

21. 6 yrs now and my ideas haven't changed :D

22. Yeah, retrofit that mess along with the diesel engine in your car and see how much "fun" that will be. :p