Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steering column adapter?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rats28, Oct 9, 2012.

1. rats28

rats28
    from Louisiana

I got a buddy that has a 1950 chevy truck... He has a newer model GM steering column with the tilt:confused: I tried to tell him to go with the older column because it looks better. But he wants to keep it but he wants to install the older GM steering wheel do they make some kind of adapter to make this happen?

2. tejas34

tejas34

I ran into the same thing. I am using a 1990 GM Column and want to add a '62 Chevy Wheel!

Anyone else run into this ?:confused::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

3. None that I have ever seen.

4. I wonder if a little machine work cutting the spline "hub" out of an newer wheel and TIG'n it into an earlier wheel would work.......

5. I'm using an 85 van column. Had a 58 wheel on it for awhile no problem. Maybe he has a later model col.

6. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

Not sure when they changed, but Chevy from the around 50-90 were the same spline.

7. Don't think anyone offer a adapter for this type of application. HRP

8. Some '50s GM cars (Caddy, Buick) have a bigger shaft in the column. Most of them though are the same from the 30s into the 1990s. If the old wheel was on a larger shaft you'll have to take a junk wheel and weld the center onto it, or find a way to bolt it together.

9. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk