Register now to get rid of these ads!

King Of Trucks...Chapter IV...Meditations on Roadhouse

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by terd ferguson, Mar 8, 2012.

1. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I got more work done on the bed despite the stifling heat. 100*++ today. It was 105* Friday. Sheesh, working in that heat SUCKS!

I got a hole drilled in the bed floor to properly route the battery cables. I also swapped out the improper bolts in the front bed panel for proper ones. I had bought a kit, lost it, then found it. I also used borrowed hardware to hold the bed down. I found my proper hardware and swapped that out as well. I got a rubber mat to protect my new dent free metal floor too.

The bed is now done except for mounting the steps. I need hardware for that. I'll be getting that tomorrow and then installing the steps. I'll also weld two bolts on the underside of each step to hold the kickstand pipe brackets in place.

When that's done, I can move on to finally repairing the door bottoms.

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

3. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Its not as hot as you guys have it down there, BUT today I noticed my water temp gauge on my flathead was registering 90 degs!!
    I havent started the car in a week!

4. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Awesome! Are you going to be working on it tomorrow?

5. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Definitely probably.

6. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

I'm stopping by to pick up some hubcaps. I probably might definitely see you tomorrow.... or maybe not.

7. Commish

Commish
    from NW Ok

Willy, I can beat that, I bring my hot tub up to 102 at night before getting in, and turn down to 98 when finished. Well 2 nights last week it was still at 102 even after having been turned down, I don't think it ever ran.

8. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Me and Del worked late into the night last night to get my steps and exhaust situated along with modding his front bumper brackets. So the bed is now officially done and back on completely.

Not much work will be happening in the next couple of weeks. I've got to get it all cleaned up along with oil and coolant change for Heavy Rebel this weekend. Then the family and I are taking a vacation.

Straight away after that, I'll be getting started repairing the door bottoms. Pics before then though. So stay tuned.

9. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Truck is still a truck. What more could a man want?
    [​IMG]

10. Nice! Looks like a weesner drawring. "My name is Simon, I like to do drawrings!"

11. weez

weez

Yes. I like that!

12. Muttley

Muttley

Look, I know you want to get KOT's finished but wouldnt it be a good idea to take a few days and fix the front door and windows at your place?

[​IMG]

13. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Thanks! Wish I could afford one of your paintings of my pickup and bike!

14. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

Terd is that your Sporty already done up? I demand some pictures!!!!

15. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

That's my motorbike. I'm in the last steps of the build, just have to wire it up now. I'll ride til cold weather then strip down for some chrome and paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. slammed

slammed

Well done on the bike! It look's back-in-the-day perfect>

17. Muttley

Muttley

Thats a great looking bike Terd, I'd love to have one someday.

[​IMG]

18. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I ship to California. I'm trying to come up on a generator shovel.:D

Thanks!

19. Muttley

Muttley

If I ever did own one I'd want something smaller like a Triumph. A friend of mine used to have a Harley and it was just to big and bulky for me.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  20. slammed

slammed

Dude, you must be way under 6' and 200 lbs. I had a Triumph in HS. A 500cc with a killer rake, hard tail and sporty tank.

21. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Terds bike is an ironhead sportster. They are small, nimble and FAST! I own one myself and they are great bikes.

22. Muttley

Muttley

HAHA, no. I'm just under six feet and about 260. :eek: :eek:

23. DirtyEd

DirtyEd
    from Dallas Ga.

Truck looks great!Glad it went to someone who could get it done.I am proud for you man.Keep on keepin on!

24. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Any updates on this?

25. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I've been driving it every day, lol. I built a chopper over the last few months. I need to take the truck down for a few weeks to fix the rust in the door bottoms. So the bike will work out great for transportation while I'm fixing the truck's doors. The bike should've been done a couple of months ago but I kept running into problems with the engine. I won't bore you with the details, but I ended up rebuilding it from the outside in one part at a time, so to speak. Was supposed to be a "running engine" but everything was broken or wrong. Now I've moved on to the transmission, the parts for that will be here Wednesday.

As soon as it's going (shouldn't be more than a couple of days and there's literally nothing else I haven't fixed), I'll take the truck down to fix the doors, hinges, and hinge pockets. They're a real mess. Then the doors, front fenders, and the rest of the cab will get some epoxy primer to match the bed.

26. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

Getting ready to do this myself Terd, best of luck to you and post up your progress so I can learn from your mistakes!!!! :)

27. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

ironheads are bitchin man. cant wait to see the updates on the truck. i gotta get goin on my doors as well. the d/s is decent but the p/s has an easy 1/2 of mud and sketchy flashing from the previous owner. should be fun

28. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Me too! Fortunately, my hinges and pockets are in good condition, I think?!:rolleyes:

I plan to cut out/mig in the worst of it, then use my El Mondo Cheapo Craftsman pot sand blaster to clean up the inside and outside of the doors and coat with some KBS I bought.

Hopefully that will turn out to be enough to clean the metal and stop future rusting. But I know there's ALWAYS more rust than you think going in.

29. ...Paging, Mr. Burglar, Mr. Terd Burglar. Please meet your party at the information desk...