Register now to get rid of these ads!

Critique my safety wire please...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daddio211, Oct 6, 2012.

1. daddio211

daddio211

I've never done this, but I think I undestand the concept. Before I wire the other two tangs on my pressure plate tell me what I'm doing right/wrong.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

2. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Viewing the photos, the wiring is not to aircraft standards. Difficult to tell someone in words how to safety wire since there are so variables. Is there a general aviation airport nearby? If so, head over there and ask the guys in the maintenance shop if they can steer you in the right direction. They will show you some examples. It helps to bring fresh donuts!!

3. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Eric...I love ya man but that sucks. I will send you some info out of my handbooks on Monday if you want (send me your e-mail) or call me (pm for #). You can do much better than that with a little time.....

And you posted in the intro section....lol

4. Gman0046

Gman0046

Eric, your safety wiring is terrible. The wire needs to be twisted and wired so that one bolt cannot loosen without tightening the other. Thats the concept of safety wiring. Safety wiring is primarily used by aircraft mechanics. I've been involved with aircraft my whole life and know what I'm talking about. There's even a pliers for safety wiring that twists the wire and has a cutting edge. Flatheadguy's advice is right on. Don't feel bad, you've never been trained to be an aircraft mechanic.

5. logride

logride
    from CB IA

Google safety wire techniques. Buy a can of stainless wire. Many uses around the shop. Use safety glasses and pick up scraps immediately. The pliers are nice but if you don't do it every day it's not nessary.

6. 510madmav

510madmav

Everyone should have a nice pair of safety wire pliers, it's worth it to do it right .

7. daddio211

daddio211

Man I'm sure glad I asked! Okay, this shit is coming off until either I learn to do it right or have someone skilled do it for me.

Thanks for the critique. You guys should know by now I'm pretty thick skinned, and I REALLY DO appreciate you telling me it sucks! I'd rather be safe than sorry!

KJSR, pm on the way brother, thank you!

8. Muttley

Muttley

9. This is a great post. Wonder how many backyard DIY guys skip this little job ? To bad it,s in the intro section.

10. As usual Muttly comes through with a gem,,video is simple and to the point.

But,I'm a little confused as to why this post is in the intro section. HRP

11. herbet99

herbet99
    from Central NJ

I agree. Safety wire pliers do make it easier. I was fortunate to learn of their use while in the Air Force.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  12. :eek::eek: Eric, Stick to tele comumications wiring, yer much better @ that !!!

13. daddio211

daddio211

Sorry about this bring in the intro section fellas, I've been here long enough to know better! Posted via TJJ app and got confused. Could a mod move it so we don't lose the valuable info already posted?

Thanks Muttley, I guess I should have YouTube'd it myself before wasting time and wire!

Don, its good that I'm good at telecommunications because a safety wire guy I'm not, LMAO! Give me a few days and see what I can do though! :D

14. Grumbler

Grumbler

WORST lockwire job ever!! (just pulling your leg.......[​IMG]) as mentioned above, the special pliers make the job a breeze, you can also use less expensive duckbill pliers, they just don't have the spiral pull knob that does the twisting for you, you have to twist them yourself

15. daddio211

daddio211

I'll take my licks hoping it helps someone as bad as me in the future! ;)

Man, I feel like a rat rodder now! :eek:

16. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

It's all about learning man, at least you had the balls to ask! I'm an airframe mechanic and I've seen WORSE jobs that "trained" mechs have tried to pass off. Thankfully in the military you can still smack people in the back of the head!

17. R Pope

R Pope

I prefer Locktite on rotating pieces, a little bit more wire here and there can throw off the balance that far from the center of rotation.

18. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Wire twisters can be found at Harbor Freight, and they have them in 2 lengths; Buy the longer ones. The correct safety wire size is .032". It's also available in .041" stainless, but for automotive use, you don't need it, and it's a p.i.a. to work with.

4TTRUK

19. CRUZN60

CRUZN60

Great video.

20. Muttley

Muttley

I wish I could say that that was me on the video but I found it when I was trying to learn how to saftey wire myself.

21. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

The real key to safety wiring is to make sure you pull and twist the wire in a direction that will tighten the screw or nut. Safety wire alone won't do the job if it is done incorrectly. That is a great video.

22. officerfalfa

officerfalfa

23. bustedlifter

bustedlifter

The NCO's that I was taught by wouldn't let you touch a safety wire pliers until you could do it to spec by hand.

24. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

total noob question, is this more of a racing type application or ? ive done clutches on diesels, euro cars, jeeps etc and havent done this. help a brotha out here ! im pulling the th350 in my apache in favor of a muncie so im all ears on this

25. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

What even possesses one to think that the clutch hat needed to be safety wired in the first place? If safety wiring the clutch bolts was nessasary you would be able to buy bolts with the holes already in them.

A tip for those who make their own bolts for safety wire---use a thin part-off tool in the lathe to cut a ring around the bolt hex first and then drill the hole. What this gives you is a round surface to tighten the wire around and keeps the wire from flopping over. Makes wiring in tight spots easier.

26. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

would never pass aircraft inspection, or race tech. you need to spin the wire taunt between the two with a wire spinning tool. With the suggestions above you will get it

27. still got my safety wire pliers that i used on c-141's back in the late 60's and still use them quite a bit. they make the job look great.

28. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Book.
    Carroll Smith, "Nuts, Bolts, Fasteners and Plumbing Handbook"
    Get it.
    It will be your favorite book by the time you are 5 pages in.

(I spent a little while last weekend putting my floppy and nearly useless Milbar back into action...the rivets holding the little piece that supports the lock pin had gotten wonky with age, making the lockup unreliable. The pliers are happy again.)

29. hinklejd

hinklejd
    from Fort Worth

A full half of each safety wire installation is figuring out how you're going to make it happen. In the example above, I would start on the bolt on the right, with the wire through the hole, and the open end wrapped underneath the bolt. Then twist the wire down to the bolt head, left over right and keeping the loop tight against the points of the bolt head. Once the wire is twisted, wrap the twisted wire over the top of the bolt on the right, then compare the twisted wire to the bolt on the left's opening at the 4 o'clock position. If the wire requires more twisting, give it more. If the wire is already twisted past the hole opening, cut it off and start again. You may have no more than 1/8" of untwisted wire before the opening of the hole. Then pass the wire through the bolt on the left, wrap the open end of the wire to the left side of the bolt, and twist the wire tight around the bolt head on the left, again keeping the wire tight against the flats. When the twist is tight and complete, there should be no more deflection than the twisted wire diameter when finger pressure is applied. Cut off the free end of the twist, and give it a pigtail (a 1/2 fold with a 1/2 twist) to keep it from becoming a puncture hazard.

Rules of thumb - .020" safety wire gets 12-14 twists per inch; larger wire gets 6-8. Use the largest wire that will fit the hole. And exercise caution when safetywiring - the diagonal cuts on the wire make it an easy puncture hazard.

Some folks swear by safety wire pliers; with practice they are helpful but not necessary. The same results can be achieved with standard pliers and diagonal cutters.