Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What does paint color say about your hotrod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldrelics, Dec 17, 2010.

1. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

now that is funny.

2. Yup that looks just fine to me!

3. Model T1

Model T1

I like it. At least you can find it at the largest shopping center or car show.
    I like most colors except some of these new car odd greens. I even had a pink 49 Ford once. We bought it that way and called it Pepto Bizmo pink. The women loved it and were always rubbing it. I told my wife I was gonna wear pink pants and a pink shirt to see if the women would rub me. I got the strangest looks from her.
    I actually lied and told everyone it was her car even though she doesn't drive. When that pink Ford talked to me I ignored it. :eek:

4. Tnhillbilly

Tnhillbilly

Hey, that's a nice blue! Do you mind me asking what the name of the color is. Thanks...

5. 40grit

40grit

When it came time to sell the Merc, I had a for sale sign on it at the Turkey Run in Daytona. One guy looked at the car for a long time and asked me if the BB was a 454. I told him it was a 402 with a good quiet Muncie behind it. He looked at the car a while longer, turned to me and just glared at me as if I had offended him. Finally he said, "Let me tell you something buddy. You may find someone who will buy this car painted pink. You may find someone who will buy it with a BB and a 4 speed. You ain't going to find anyone who will buy it both ways." With that said he stomped off.......Go figure :confused:

John L

[​IMG]

6. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

I remember about 50 years ago we could get a discount on Earl Scheib's usual $29.95 paint job if we did the masking ourselves and went with whatever color was in the gun. It was orange.

7. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

haha what car was that?

I'd take a pink '59 Caddy or purple Hemi Cuda any day.

8. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

according to the GF, mine says "barney":eek::D

9. edsel.fi

edsel.fi

I really like those different coral colors from 1955-1958, especially 58 edsels with Sunset coral paint. :D

My opinion is that 58-59 Edsels are Factory Customs, so they are Hot Rods, hah hah !

Attached Files:

10. I feel like I should get fairly well drunk and have someone take me to K-mart or Val-U hardware and I'll just pick a color that way out of the Rustoleum selection (or their household color line), whatever looks best to my hammered mind. Then what it can say about me is "I was fucked up when I picked this shit" .... like about 50% of the other cars I see around.

11. Well,my Deuce pickup is Semi-Gloss black with baby poop green wheels so it will not be confused with the rat rod tread of flat black with red wheels.

The '54 "Ranch Wagon" is green because that's the color ladyhrp wanted it.

And last but certainly not least my Deuce sedan is wearing a coat of paint that was applied in the '60 and is really showing it's age,,so I believe it says it's been around a while. HRP

12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Don' know what it says about me, but this will be the color of my 26 RPU.

Attached Files:

13. Bluedot

Bluedot

It's always surprised me how a color can look terrific on one car, and not very good at all on another. To me anyway.
    What I really like about hotrodding is the creative mix of engineering and art, and unless you're in it to build it and flip it for profit, the "right" color is the color you want it to be. Build it safe and reliable. Beyond that, anything goes IMHO.

14. Well I guess mine will fall under the chicken color...But to hell with everyone that does'nt, I like it & I really don't give a shit if anyone else does.

15. I don't know about Chicken color,,but The police have referred to it as arrest me yellow! :D HRP

16. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

Just like an old body and fender friend of mine once said.( If the paint is beautiful so is the color) I just think some cars look better with certain colors.:cool:

Attached Files:

17. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Maybe the paint color on my car says "I'm color blind", or "I'm too lazy to fix it right and paint it nice."

Probably more so the last one. :D Gene

18. bustingear

bustingear

Color is subjective and highly around individual taste..so what a waste of a thread. It proves nothing.

19. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All the false bravado aside, I can't really change my opinion much about what it does, or "says" per the original topic. I can add that how you enhance that color can make or break the choices too. Suppose you went with a bitchin kandy gold on a fenderless roadster of some kind. Off white, bright orange, pale yellow or cream, black, or chrome on the wheels? Should the top be black, tan or brown canvas? White leather/naugahyde or distrssed rawhide? Whitewalls or black?

Now I'll be fair and say there's an honest answer to the above hypothesis, but it isn't the cop out "whatever you want it's yours..." nor is it the hardcore "it's my car so fuck off...".

bustingear, you have to play if you don't want to. I didn't think we were proving anything. Just a few guys sittin on milk crates talkin about an aspect of hot rods. Well, they're not real milk crates but...

20. 327Eric

327Eric

here are a few i've learned over the years
    Black- sinister, ominous, gangster wannabe, undercover cop, FBI etc
    Flat black- can't do body work
    semi gloss black- hot rod
    red primer- hot rod
    grey primer-I really don't like the color underneath(spray can) Or I will paint it when I can
    grey primer with guidecoat-I want to sell this rusty turd with crap bodywork
    Gloss white-cant do bodywork.
    Red-re-sell red- someone did, wants to, or tried to make money on it
    yellow-look at me
    Blue-can't go wrong
    root beer brown- invisible(seriously, when is th last time you saw a brown car on the road. They are out there)
    Silver-mercedes envy
    Gold-50s custom or Rod(mellow), or lowrider(over the top)
    Pink and purple- the only real difference is your grip

21. 55delray

55delray
    from Florida

Saw ford boxwood green on Fast n Loud, and I am going to try it on my 32 pontiac 5 window. I know its a trend, but those older colors just look cool with modern basecoat/clearcoat finishes.

22. Ramjet

Ramjet
    BANNED

Really? You never look for entertainment??? This thread, as with a lot of threads on the HAMB, is just damn fun to read. You can get a hell of a lot of information and insight into our preferred addiction!!!

23. Ramjet

Ramjet
    BANNED

So who has a picture of a 34 Ford 5W in red primer?