Register now to get rid of these ads!

S-10 5 speed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by V4F, Oct 8, 2012.

1. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

need info on t-5 trans . 5th gear has a noise on the power side , not on the let off side . any info , diagrams , etc would be appreciated ... thanks .. [email protected]

2. oldblu65

oldblu65
    from Tennessee

Go to www.inliners.org and click on " tech tips " on left side of page . Then go down and click on the T5 tranny page . You don't mention if your T5 is a GM or Ford model but there should be info there to help ? Good luck !

3. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

thank you . s-10 is gm ............

4. small Tip here......
    Just like the holes in the case where it bolts to the bell housing,the S-10 trans is a Metric based design......
    If using this trans behind a Chevy SBC or 235 etc, make sure the pilot bushing you've installed in your crankshaft is one that has a Metric center hole [matched] for the S10 input ,rather than the SAE center hole in most that are sold in parts stores for use in the small blocks......
    that small difference in diameters, will allow movement/vibe/& sounds at speed in 5th when driving the car......

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
    pecker head likes this.
  5. 28hiboy

28hiboy
    from Milton, Fl

6. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

S-10s were made by GM??!! Hmmmm... Ya learn something new everyday... Like learning how to read the title of a thread before posting an answer that makes you look like an illiterate jackass :confused:

7. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

RMR&C ................. thanks much for the link . i think it will help me alot ..........
    my t-5 is behind a model "A" banger ............... 28hiboy thank you also !!!!!
    thank you again ... steve

8. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

What kind of a noise?

5th gear is outside of the main case. How's your fluid level?

Input bearing usually begin whining in 1st gear, but eventually all gears except 4th (4th is straight through). Noise in 5th only could indicate an output bearing, but I've never heard of issues with the output bearings going...

9. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

ernie , what do you mean by "out side the case" ?
    fluid level is good ............. thanks .. steve

10. He probably means it is in the tailshaft.....
    was your pilot bearing fitted for your input as I posted above?

11. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

great i dont have to pull the complete trans . yes it was new & smooth

12. Normbc9

Normbc9

I have two T-5's. There are two different sets of ratios. One for the four cylinder and another for the V-6's. Look that up before you make a choice. Both are very dependable. One I have behind a really reworked inline 216 and the other behind a 261. Both perform very well. The final (5th) and first gear ratios are different.
    Normbc9

13. sorry I am beating this dead horse NorCalSteve,but I did what I was posting about myself once.....It was the case that the S10 input shaft[metric] will fit loose enouhj in an old style SAE bored pilot bushing[most are SAE] to allow the tranny to make noise and even vibrate in 5th gear at speed....I may be way off here......good luck solving the problem/Kenny

14. Never knew about the pilot bearing issue, none of the articles I've read about putting a T-5 from an S10 behind a small block Chevy have mentioned it. Who makes a pilot bushing that is metric inside and right outside diameter to fit SBC crank?

15. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

the pilot brg came with the kit . i put this kit in this car long before it was mine . the guy i was helping died , thus i bought it in a box . but that is a really good thought . im changing rear gear this winter , ill just take it out & look . thank you guys !! ..... steve

16. Beau

Beau

S-10 with the 2.2 have 5-speeds that are GM. V-6 S-10's have Borg Warner T-5 transmissions with a FORD bolt pattern, not GM. This may have been what he was talking about...but who knows.

17. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

The differences are not due to their original application. A 4cyl S10 T5 can have either the 4.03 gearset or the 3.76 gearset. A 6cyl S10 T5 can have either the 4.03 gearset or the 3.76 gearset. The gearset can only be determined by decoding the tag# (or counting teeth inside), not the size of the engine.

Yes, you do. It is in the tailhousing, but to remove the tailhousing, you have to disassemble the entire top of the trans which requires removal.

What is the noise? Bearing noise? Gear whine? What fluid are you using?

18. as theOP said it was on anA banger and probably a correct pilot bushing ,maybe even custom cut from a metric OEM bushing, to fit the A crank and having the correct metric center hole
    The SBC is probably available with the correct inner and outer dimensions in stock form,since metrics measurements were used at GM since 1978.
    The pilot bushing I had the vibe issue with was an older version from the 1960's[SAE in and outside dimension wise]

19. Other than gears, a T5 in a GM application is a T5 in a GM application.

20. bobscogin

bobscogin

There's Ford mounting pattern T5's too that invalidate that statement. Specifically, the '93+ WC T5 used in the 2.2L 4 cylinder S-10 and V6 F-body.

Bob

21. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I'm in the process of installing a crate motor in my 65 C 10....I also had a barely noticeable noise in 5th gear....I went to my local auto parts and bought a pilot bushing for a 1989 S 10....the outside diameter is the same....the ID is 2 - 3 thousands smaller...I test fit both bushings on the imput shaft and noticed that there a difference you can feel ....I'll find out next week if the noise is gone....

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  22. Sorry, in the 1980s S10s, and so far as I know, Camaro also. They don't mess with anything goofy until the 1990s.

23. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

be sure to try to get a "pilot bearing" not a bushing if possible .........

24. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

??????

25. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

A pilot 'bearing' is a caged set of needle bearings..........a pilot 'bushing' is a bronze (possibly Oilite or sintered) solid bushing.

Ray

26. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I understand the difference...is one better than the other?

27. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

?????????????

Ray