Register now to get rid of these ads!

94 model 59 carb question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DvlDg29, Oct 8, 2012.

1. DvlDg29

DvlDg29
    from NJ

When you read this question you'll know the extent of my noobness and I thank you for your patience :D.

I have a 49-53 flathead that had EAB heads on it, will change them to aftermarket aluminum heads as soon as funds allow. I'm starting the rebuild and I picked up a 2x2 Edmonds for it. My question is this: I also picked up to model 59 carbs, can they be used? I know that with the original distributor you need the vacuum to the distributor from the carb but with the new ones you need to block that fitting on the 8ba carbs.

Please help educate my dumb a$$. If I have to get different carbs, can these model 59s be used as parts donors?

2. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

Model 59 is a 1948 carb and is a good one. My favorite for flatheads because...wel, just because. I do like the way the float bowl is vented into the Venturi VS earlier carbs that just have a hole in the float bowl.

I would recommend getting rid of the stock distributor and go with an MSD, Pertronix, or Mallory electronic unit. I used an MSD in my 8BA. It's big but it works very well and doesn't need the vacuum, nor does it need a box bolted to the firewall.

One other thing.... Your 59s are not suitable as parts carbs for other models.... They'll work, but your much better off not mixing components from one series to another. If your carbs are complete, working examples.....Then I'd either find a way to use them (see above) or sell them and find the later carbs (model 8BA is another good choice).

3. jack orchard

jack orchard

The 59's are fine. The EAB heads are the best factory heads. nothing wrong with them. If you swap them for aftermarket heads, keep in mind they are in demand at the swap meets. Be sure to replace the factory distributor with one that has centrifugal and vacuum advance (centrifugal for performance and cool running, vacuum advance for fuel mileage)...jack

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Another thing...there is vast interchange possible from 1939-50, and some later...result is that MANY carbs are mongrels, built by high volume commercial rebuilders who dumped the parts of many carbs together and assembled at random.
    With some parts it doesn't matter, but there were some signigficant changes between the very early carbs and the '39-50 ones and minor variations in jet size, along with the many variations of venting. Add in possible confusion with parts from bigger Lincoln carbs and smaller V8-60 carbs...
    So, as a minimum, buy two that are supposed to be the same and compare jets, nozzle bars, and idle jets. The rest is a judgement call as it is difficult to track all the possible changes and swaps even with my ridiculously large library of 94 paper.
    I prtty much stick to 59's just to make my life easier.

5. DvlDg29

DvlDg29
    from NJ

Thanks for all the great info guys, it really helps out. For the distributor, I was told about a fellow HAMBer that sells them, Bubba I think. In fact, the HAMBer I got the motor from has one of his distributors on his flatty.

Another question, are there variations in the Model 59's? If so, can these be matched up on a 2 up intake? I'm probably going to soda blast the bodies and rebuild the ones I have soon now that I know I can use them.

Thanks again
    Semper Fi

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

59 variations are just minor changes in the look of the "59", different molds, etc. They were made by both Ford and Holley, look at bottom of outside casting around accel pump for the mark, and I think were likely made after '48 to keep the parts bins filled as they were the universal '32-48 replacement for a few years until they came up with a universal '32-53, which had vac passage with plug and extra levers and stuff to fittemall.
    Where in NJ are you?

7. DvlDg29

DvlDg29
    from NJ

Thanks Bruce, I appreciate all the info. I'm in Eatontown, Monmouth County by Asbury Park.

8. DvlDg29

DvlDg29
    from NJ

Jack, I've heard that these heads are pretty desirable for those keeping the stock look. Guess when the swap meets start back up in the spring I'll bring them along and see if I can make a partial trade or something. I haven't done the due diligence so I'm not yet sure what they're worth. Thanks for the input, it's appreciated.

9. DvlDg29

DvlDg29
    from NJ

Bruce,
    Based on the photos of the logos what, if any, are the major differences in these two carbs? I picked them up at Carlisle along with an Edmonds intake. Thanks for the help.

Attached Files: