Register now to get rid of these ads!

lincoln v12 flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by classicrocknrods, Jul 11, 2006.

1. classicrocknrods

classicrocknrods
    from new york

Alright. Now I be looking for photos and info on the lincoln v-12 flathead.also has anyone ever run 2 side by side in a dragster??Thanks

2. Not to say for sure it has never happened....but I'd be suprised if anyone has ever done that. The V-12 is not a very powerful engine and little modification can be done to it to make it a "hot" engine.

Matt

3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

No one ever ran ONE of them if they wanted to go fast ...

4. classicrocknrods

classicrocknrods
    from new york

I am not sure about any speed, but makes a real cool looking rod and beside I be looking for info for a model build, so it wont be going anywheres. heres a link for a great looking rod with the lincoldn flatty...... www.rodshop.com.au/projectratrod.htm

5. plan9

plan9

the lincoln v12 wasnt normally used in a high performance applications.
    i have only heard that there are design flaws in the cooling passages but they can be reliable with some work. i have seen a couple 40's era lakes cars that ran v12's... apparently not for long.

there are factory ford Canadian aluminum heads for it as well as some dual carb intakes... be prepared to part with some serious change for them.

ive got a '39 v12 that will be going into a 36 ford.

6. twofosho

twofosho

Basically a V8-60, with an 85 degree angle between the cylinder banks and 4 extra cylinders. A lot of them came stock with aluminum heads and/or intake, depending on the year of manufacture. I've read inadequate crankcase ventilation and built up sludge deposits blocking what little there was, would cause high crankcase pressures to blow oil past the rings resulting in excessive oil consumption. They are probably as susceptible as any other flatmotor to hopping up, but after all, it is just 1 1/2 V8-60s on a common crank and short of being able to adapt the Brazilian V8-60 hemi heads shown in a thead on the HAMB a couple of days ago, I wouldn't expect miracles.

7. There is a T modified with V-12 in the Garlits Museum.

8. Yeah I plan on putting two or three 235's or maybe 302gmc's in something but it's not gonna be for performance or speed, just to look wicked.

A single BBC will smoke the shit out of 2 or 3 or even 4 lincoln V12's any day.

9. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

as many times as I've seen that truck, I didn't realize it had a 12'er! Or was that retrofitted?

10. Fortyfordguy

Fortyfordguy

I was at Don Garlits' museum last month on vacation and took a couple pics of the stock V-12 Lincoln motor he has in a motor display. One of each side including the tranny. May have to do this in two posts.

Attached Files:

11. Fortyfordguy

Fortyfordguy

and here's the other side....

Attached Files:

12. sewman

sewman
    from Toledo,Oh

13. jdubbya

jdubbya

Here is my buddy Bill's bucket. The intake is homemade, with 2 functional carbs, the others dummied. Thanks for the link sewman, he has been looking for a different manifold. -Joe

Attached Files:

14. classicrocknrods

classicrocknrods
    from new york

That is one nice car.Personal note though, older engine, calls for white walls??newer motor calls for blackwalls??

15. heavy

heavy

man those things are kickazz

16. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

17. Nolan

Nolan

...or maybe this?

Attached Files:

• v12.jpg
      v12.jpg
      File size:
      54.4 KB
      Views:
  18. plan9

plan9

not at all...
    all about money and personal aesthetics than late model engine versus older.

19. here's a different Lincoln V-12, Notice how the exhaust manifold comes out on top of the block between the intake runners like a flathead Caddy

[​IMG]

and here is the lincoln that it's in

[​IMG]

It's a 1935 model K, I don't know much about it except that real rare, like 7 of this model ever built, and the guy that has it will probably set on it until he dies.

20. classicrocknrods

classicrocknrods
    from new york

theres some more great shots.Thanks guys.However, that last one burns me up though.So many times I have seen a great and sometimes rare car and there it sits slowly rotting away although it appears to have been in fairly good condition when parked.Come on poeple, get the thing running at least and exercise the poor thing.All beasts want to get out once in a while!!

21. Rocketile

Rocketile
    from USA

According to my neighbor "Suicide Al Sanders", in the era of Daytona running on the sand beach there would be impromptu drags run on the beach after the main racing stopped. He claims it was a wild time with the "moonshiners" and all. As it was impromptu you could have cars coming at you from the other direction! Anyway the very last NASCAR run on the beach in the 50's had Garlits show up with a V-12 model T. He cleaned up that nite at the sand drags. Al is 81 this year and I suspect that car is the one Al ran against.

22. frank spittle

frank spittle

At one time not many years ago a Lincoln V-12 flathead had no value. That has certainly changed and they are being installed in anything vintage. But this is the most unusual Lincoln V-12 transplant I have seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzFzcWe6pH8

23. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

How's this one taken at the Portland Roadster Show?

Attached Files:

• 024.jpg
      024.jpg
      File size:
      400 KB
      Views: