Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do I convert to carb from TBI?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by arnolddyer, Oct 7, 2012.

1. arnolddyer

arnolddyer

How do I convert to carb from TBI? I have a 454 1994 and would like to get rid of the brain to have a stand alone engine and trans. What grouping or type of intake should I be looking for?

2. Deuces

Deuces

Air-Gap made for small ports....

3. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

you cant run a TBI without a computer as far as i know.

4. To carb - from TBI

Pretty easy to do.
    All of the electronics were added to an engine platform designed to run without them .

You'll need a intake manifold for a carb, ignition system with mechanical and vacuum advance.

5. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

Easier yet. Im pretty sure the big blocks used the same Q-jet intake manifold they used for years and just added an adaptor plate for the throttle body to bolt to. Take that off, put on a quadrajet, a mecanical fuel pump, and an HEI dizy and your set.

6. Actually a carb can be mounted on the TBI manifold if I recall. I know that we have bolted carbs to the camaro cross fire before.

But I would loose the intake all together if it were me and find an intake with runner the correct size for the heads. Like was mentioned an Edelbrock for small heads or even a weiand (sp) or ??? All the major intake manufacturers make an intake for the late heads. I personally prefer the weiand stealth over the edelbrock intake but it is a personal preferance.

7. arnolddyer

arnolddyer

I looked for a manifold,Man!, There are so many. Don't know what the right one is. It also say not for a "tall block" ,I don't think my 1994 454 is a tall block. How can I tell?

8. Grumbler

Grumbler

Your choice of manifold depends on what the vehicle will be used for. Performance? Reliable daily driver? Need more details on what it is and what type of driving you do with it.

9. arnolddyer

arnolddyer

Daily driver thats all.

10. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Glad to see TBI is cool on a 454 and considered traditional........NOT!

Can't believe there are a million places to ask this question and it gets posted on the best traditional site on the net.

Hmmmm,
    SPark

11. arnolddyer

arnolddyer

EXACTLY_____ That is why I want to convert to a carb!

12. Apparently Sunday morning comprehension levels are quite low.

Lmao.

13. arnolddyer

arnolddyer

Trying to locate a manifold that will work. There is a disclaimer that it does not work on a "tall block". I think tall blocks are used in trucks. This came out of a suburban. I dont know how to tell the difference.

14. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

I don't see a thing wrong with asking how to convert it to a carb. Be a lot less headaches for sure. Hope you find the right intake to do it.

15. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

To tell if you have a "tall block" look at where the water pump bolts up at and if it is not real close to where the head bolts to the block then you have a "tall block". I'm betting that it is not though....

16. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

i just bought a tbi adapter off ebay for $25 for the 51 chevy. its the cheapest way. and it works. if its going to be for something your keeping i recommend a intake. if your on a budget....adapter.

17. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

A little tid bit of advice, something that probably wont even factor in unless optimum performance is needed.

The cam profile for injection is very different for carburation.

Just an FYI

18. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

tall block refers to old truck series. ask yourself, how does my transmission know when to shift? kickdown cable? NO No No. vacuum modulator? No No No. Computer? Yes Yes Yes.

How does the converter lockup in overdrive? computer.
    how does it adjust line pressure?
    where does the speedometer read from? computer.

<br>[​IMG]<br>

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  19. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

then we have to get a fuel pump. because there is no push rod hole.

20. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

and you need an older HEI or points distributor.

21. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

and the 1994 transmission needs a $500 brain to operate. or you can use a th400.

22. arnolddyer

arnolddyer

It looks like the same set up as my 327. Does a tall block be decoded through serial numbers? Mine is T0622FCJ

23. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

If only this info were available in some easy to search database. Some one should invent that.

24. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

Tall block refers to the 366 & 427 truck engines, taller block=wider intake.
    I did basically the same thing on a 366. Threw away the TBI and machined an adapter from a block of aluminum for the carb and put in the correct HEI. Picked up 3 mpg to boot.

25. arnolddyer

arnolddyer

I like that. I have an extra 4 barrel carb. That would be great to put an adapter on the existing manifold,for now.

26. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

27. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

actually on some like the 92 silverado 305 i used...there is a kickdown cable. it will control every shift point. if not calibrated properly....like i found out.....it shifts like shit. but once adjusted shifts just perfectly. the after market sells convertor lockup kits that are really simple installs. i dont have one and my transmission has been doing fine without it. cruise down the highway at 2k rpm 80mph no problem.

speedometer your correct and i simply changed my original speedometer with a electric one which hooks directly up to the transmission and self calibrates intself to the transmission being used.

28. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

What trans are you using? Trucks and vans had 4L60's behind them (I think) in '94, so you'll be looking for a 700r along with an intake and dist. 4L60's have big elec. plug on the right side of the case with like 18 pins. They are a paper weight without the ECM.

29. arnolddyer

arnolddyer

I am running a 4L80E trans. Would like to swap out for a TH 400. This way I won't have to have a controller.

30. OK this is becomming overly complicated, you probably don't have a tall deck as you don't have a big truck. A turbo 400 will bolt right up but you will need a different drive shaft. Buy an intake if it doesn't fit send it back and get a different one. That or find the catsting numbers and they will tell you if you have a big block.

it will cost you more than the price of a controller to put a T 400 in unless you already have a good T 400 on hand.

Are you modifying a '94 Chevy? if so whay are we wasting bandwidth on it?