Register now to get rid of these ads!

FED wheelbase & info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mfp-66, Oct 6, 2012.

1. mfp-66

mfp-66

from the UK and I'm thinking about building a cheap FED for a bit of fun. but there are such a range of types and wheelbases i don't know where to begin.

was thinking something upto a 150" wheelbase
    cadillac 472 v8 (i know where there is one locally)
    powerglide trans
    leaf spring front
    and used for 1/4mile RWYB

the rest i'm unsure of.
    does it have to be round tube or can i have 3"x2" rails?
    looking for photos of different types with wheelbase measurements. also build threads that i can use for info

thanks Gary

2. Round tube gets easy to work with real quick. I would sugggest you get a rule book NHRA or IHRA and use the General Regulatons diagrams for where you sit. I try to follow then to the rule. Wheelbase is up to you. Minmum is 92 inches and max I guess is as far as you can see. I have a 96 inch. (see picture to the left)Drives like a dream. I am finishng up a 131 incher. Mostly just so I dont get asked a hundred times "why is your car so short. " The notion that all short cars have evil handling is a myth.
    I would avoid square tubing on a FED if it were me. I do, though, always use square tubing on an altered build. Lots of builds going on right here on the HAMB. Just search FED and see what you find. Peek at everyones and build yours to suit you would be my suggestion.
    FEDs are a lot less expensive then Doorslammers. Wish it hadnt taken me 50 years to figure that out.
    Don

3. mfp-66

mfp-66

thanks Don

did a search for FEDs. so much info but trying to narrow it down to wheelbase for starters.
    like your idea of 1/4 eliptical front springs, may borrow that idea if you don't mind.
    do you have any pics side on of your cars, trying to see what looks best

thanks Gary

4. afaulk

afaulk

Hi mfp-66, do a search on this forum for Front engine dragsters. There's a lot of info. good luck.

5. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

I would go round tubeing but thats just me , Like everyone says do a search there's lots of builds and info , look in the tech section ,there's a thread called build index ,dragsters, land speed cars and altereds are on the bottom of the list if I remember right, Tim jones

6. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=431395&page=15&highlight=new+dragster+project

This is my current project. lots of pic here.
    The part where you sit should be right from the NHRA rule book gen regs which are also online. I would not vary from them at all. The front part is pretty well up to you. You can do it like mine if you like (no trouble) or do it another way. I always use Mild steel. I KNOW I can work with it well. I also know it will last a long long tme without cracking or work hardening. One of the things I learned in life is go with what you know you can do well. Especially for the first one. Safety is your #1 concern. I have been in trouble once with my blue one to the left. Had to stop way quicker than normal and got it up on one wheel during hard braking. I remember clearly thinking "Well if it goes over I know I will be ok" . That is when you know you built it right! Luckily the track cleared and I was able to get to a safe stop. Gotta watch out for folks who just turn off on the return road without checking where you are! A FED though is a barrel of fun. I built this one real short so it would fit in the back of my pickup truck. Probably something between 120 and 150 inches will do and is more practical. I like to build a mock up of at least one side from 1"x3" wood strapping first. It gives you a real good idea of what it will look like and if you like it or not. You can cut, saw, patch, and glue to your hearts content and have only a few dollars invested. When you are happy then buy the steel. My friend Mike Sietsma who is a plumber built his complete rail design on ABS plastic pipe first then copied it exactly in DOM .120" wall steel. You are I am sure a bit nervous at this point. Dont be . Dont worry too much about what to do , just step out and start working. It will almost build itself.
    Don

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  7. mfp-66

mfp-66

dragsled, thanks for the build index info it was very helpful