Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs $XX.XX Invested and Selling

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Model A Fan, Oct 5, 2012.

1. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

Who cares? Isn't this just a round about way of commenting on a for sale thread and interfering with it?
    The guy is just trying to sell his truck, let an interested party decide what its worth

The thing to comment on is the guy who has a for sale sign on his car without a price. I will not call or ask. I made a comment as I passed a 32 5w at the LARS. The owner chased me trying to tell me the price. I do not want to waste my time hearing his whole speel about how much he did to it and what its got. I want to know if the price is in my range first.

2. screwball

screwball

The word investment is just a baby boomer buzz word that was used to boost their own egos WHEN TIMES WERE GOOD. Its used now to try to convince others of a perceived value. You can invest in time in a hobby does not make a monetary value but the word is used mostly to try to add a seller perceived value.

3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The investment is in your own enjoyment and mental health, certainly not in $.

The guys who expect to get a return equal or better than their "investment" should have another hobby.

4. afaulk

afaulk

Anything of value, that you buy and keep, by the definition of the word, you are "invested in". Items may increase or decrease in value according to the economic times and the undeniable laws of supply and demand. In todays market you'd better figure on donating your time. If you're invested in an item that is in high demand, you do most of the work, and the quality of your workmanship is high, you should be able to at least recover actual money investment. (If you wait until you're in a bind though and the prospective buyer knows it, YOU"RE SCREWED! 50k invested selling for 20k ...not good

5. donzzilla

donzzilla

Would any one buy a car if it were the other way?

For Sale '32 3 window. Solid body, great shape. I stumbled across this in an estate sale and paid $300.00 for it. Now as a generous offer to you. I want $18,000.00 firm. No low ballers.

For some reason or another. The buyer always wants to seem like they are getting the deal of a lifetime. Making some one feel good about their purchase is what makes the world go around.

Make sure when you list that you have $50,000.00 invested, will take $17,000.00 for it to be ready to take less than $15,00.00 because no one wants to pay the asking price for anything:D

6. The amount "invested" has nothing whatsoever to do with the market value. It's as simple as that. If a seller is trying to use the amount invested to try to influence the market value then he's just looking for a buyer that doesn't know any better. What he's also doing though is telling everyone what a bad investor he is.

That being said, I've got more into my project that I could ever hope to get out of it. But, I didn't go into it to try to turn a profit. My investment is worth every penny because of the enjoyment I get out of it. It's an investment in my state of mind. It's hard to put a price on that.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think they often find the fool with money to burn who thinks he will be an instant celebrity if he buys the car built on TV in those cases.

Back to the original question of a guy offering a car he says he has 50K tied up in for 20K, I'd say that is about normal for a lot of guys who build a car, drive it for a couple of years and sell it and build another one. He sees the car as past it's prime in the show ring and is ready to move on having had his 30K worth of enjoyment out of it in many cases.

I've known a number of guy who count every nickle they ever spent on a car as part of the investment and not just what they had tied up in it as it sat. Back years ago one acquaintance counted every engine he had blown up in his race car along with every performance piece he had ever bought for the car as part of the investment in the car. That included about ten cams, five intakes and I don't think he even knows how many blown up engines over the years he raced the car. None of those parts where with the car except what was in the latest engine that was actually in the car but he counted all of it as his "investment".

8. Around here many guys go fishing for salmon or halibut as their hobby. If you factor in the cost of a new motor ,boat, gear,etc. the price of fish per lb. would be astronomical but they go out and fish because they love to fish. Thinking of cars as an investment is best left to the Barrett Jackson crowd. My car is my hobby, any money I put into it is money well spent. It makes me happy,worrying about investments...not so much.

9. IMO, if you are building a car for the "investment" your building it for the wrong reasons!

If this was said already, I'm sorry but I just didn't have the time to invest in reading all the posts!

10. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

An investment is intended to increase in value.

11. I look at my cars as a hobby and not as an investment but if you build a nice car and do most of the work yourself when it does come time to sell you don't end up being upside down.

as for have a boat load invested and sell at a loss usually implys the guy paid a pro shop to build it his way regardless of cost,,most of the time he is selling the car for what it's actually worth. HRP

12. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

When compared to my Worldcom investment the old Fords look pretty good.

13. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

Most old cars that I have owned were bad investments if you are strictly looking at what I spent and what I could sell them for

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

14. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

<style>@font-face { font-family: "Times New Roman"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }table.MsoNormalTable { font-size: 10pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; }</style> Some boast about how much they&#8217;ve invested as proof of their commitment. Others boast about how little they&#8217;ve invested, to show that they are shrewd negotiators with build skills.

15. What he said.

16. Fenders

Fenders

I went to an estate auction a couple days ago, one lot was four albums of unused plate block stamps. I looked at every page in every album, the face value (what the collector paid, and yes you could use the stamps today) was about $1,000. Likely more in collector value.

The lot sold for $450. .. (not to me, I wouldn't live long enough to use that many stamps).

Was that a hobby, or an investment?

17. fts55

fts55
    from guthrie ok

Wait, theses things are supposed to be worth money after you are done with them?

18. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

Of course vehicles are an investment. In cars as with real estate or the stock martket there are long term and short term investments. In all cases somtimes things are flipped for a quick profit, some times things are held long term. With cars as with real estate and the stock market at lot has to do with the economy. In a good economy all are fairly easy to make a profit. In a down economy it is hard to make a profit on any of them. Several of my cars I have had for 20+ years. They are good investments but they are still not for sale. I watch the car market and see a lot of good buys, cars that will not bring what they are worth, I also many cars in the high dollar range that still bring good money. It will take a couple years but hopefully this recession will turn around. When it does you will hear from many guys on this board bitch about the high price of cars, that hot rodders can't afford. It's here in the archives, so, were those the good old days?

19. Investment? fuckin sure, like my race car is an investment, I invest all my time and money so the next basterd can get it for nothing after I croak and the ol lady lets it go, but shit I'm dead so who cares............

20. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

I bought one of those kind of cars. Guy spent 40k plus on it and I bought it for 1/2 of that
    Only way that I could have a car this nice. But do not worry I have "invested" even more in it.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

21. gfr220

gfr220

I bought a 1967 mustang for 500.00 in 1972. Never did much to it over the years I have had it, just took good care of it over the years. Rebuild of the motor once and once a year total detail by myself. Finally sold it last year for 7000.00. Had it for 40 years that was a good investment for me I thought. Currently in my Garage 1929 Chevy coupe, 1934 Dodge coupe, 1935 Dodge pickup, 1940 Ford pickup, 1950 3100 Chevrolet pickup and a 1958 Corvette. no I am not rich just love cars.

22. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

When I see those kind of ads I chuckle and know that the guy knows nothing about what he's doing.

Nobody really cares how much you spent on the car and it doesn't do a thing increase to the value to the average Joe looking for a project. He's not going to pay you for your mistakes.