Register now to get rid of these ads!

1937 Plymouth Sedan Delivery Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Salt Flats Speed Shop, Sep 30, 2011.

1. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Man, You sure have some time in patch panels and repairs. Looks good with the spare tire wells filled in. Going to be one nice ride when you get it done.

Dave

2. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

I got the corner patch welded in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

4. redzula

redzula

so it took me long enough but having just seen the bonneville tudor in the background I just realized this was the same shop building both cars. dont know what planet i've been on but amazing work as usual. on all your projects. I need to get to know everybodys username around here

5. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

Getting things around the shop back in order after my wedding. I went and put the body back on the frame. Next thing is going to be getting the engine and transmission mounted in the frame. I'm going to bolt the old grill and radiator so I can see what kind of room I have to work with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. nowhereman

nowhereman
    from illinois

7. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

I had to send back the top towers and get some new ones that moved the top arm inward. That way I could get the right camber.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. slobroy

slobroy

Sooo, when does you're metal working classes begin. I have fenders on my 41 ford pickup that I could bring to class...

OahuEli likes this.
  9. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

I've had a few people ask about classes. I would like to do classes, just trying to figure out what I would teach and how I would go about doing it. Ha
    Once I figure something out I'll start posting to see how many people are interested in it.

10. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

If you ever do that I would be in. If you ever need a shop helper to learn metal work let me know

11. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

now you have got me thinking

12. slobroy

slobroy

I would seriously be in if it was a hands on teaching. I've attended one of ron covell's classes, but it was all "watch and no hands on". I learned a lot don't get me wrong, but I need to get my hands dirty to get the feel of what i'm learning.

13. Wow! Amazing work. It's nice to see a Sedan Delivery project, this one is so nice it almost makes me want to do the one I'm selling. Almost. :D

14. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

It would absolutely be hands on, probably have people bring something that they either need dents worked out on, or a patch panel made, etc. Then I would cover those different areas in a group lecture, and then go around and have each person do the actual work on their piece and take turns having everyone watch. Something like that.

OahuEli likes this.
  15. harrington

harrington
    from Indiana

Chris, I want to thank you for your threads. I know it takes time to keep us all updated on your progress and to answer our questions. You do spectacular work, thank you for the insparation.

16. RPMetal108

RPMetal108
    from Chicago

For those folks who are looking for the hands-on, get-yourself-good and dirty workshop, check out this upcoming Autobody Steel Patch Panels & Rust Repair class being taught in October by Kent White at Grace Body Shop in South San Fran. Here's a link:

https://www.tinmantech.com/html/workshop_courses.php#Autobody

17. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

We finally got a 5.7 hemi for the plymouth. Now the fun process of fitting this beast inside this car. Ha

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. murfman

murfman

Nice! Excellent work, and glad to see a Mopar motor going in it.

19. redzula

redzula

Looks good and tight.

These are customer cars right is that why you went with a modern engine or was there another reason?

20. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

Thanks, ya we wanted to keep a mopar engine in this one. No 350 chevy's here. Ha

Ya this is a customers car, and the customer wanted something that he can get in and drive across the country and not have to tinker with as he goes. We knew we wanted a modern engine and the new hemi seemed like a perfect fit.

21. farmer12

farmer12

Let the fun begin! I love where this is all going and the challenges concerned. Great stuff!

22. RodStRace

RodStRace

As you probably know, many offset the motor to the passenger side a bit. This is often to clear the steering, but also for starter/exhaust clearance.
    Give you a bit of weight offset for a single driver too (at least that's what we tell the Chevy guys!);)

23. Salt Flats Speed Shop

Salt Flats Speed Shop
    from Utah

So I've been working on the rear door on the Plymouth. It had lots of damage on the outer skin. Kind of sad cause the rest of the car was so nice.

There was a big dent in the top beads that I first started getting out. And I started working out some of the damage on the lower skin. But unfortunately there was too much damage to be able to save this skin so I'm going to have to build a new one. Usually its no problem getting a skin smooth, but this skin is different cause its a reverse curve. That where it has the curve right to left, but unlike most skins that curve outward up and down this one curves inward up and down. So the more I work on it it removes the curve inwards and flattens it which we don't want.

So the first step was to get accurate patterns of the curve right to left and up and down. I took the right to left pattern off of the top bead on the door, and the up and down pattern I took off of the car. Then I used those patterns to make a simple buck that has all the right crown in both directions.

Now I'll use this as a template to set the new skin on as i'm shaping it to check to see where it needs more shape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Wow, there's a lot of work in that buck! Nice job, can't wait to see more.

25. B Lawrence

B Lawrence
    from Ham.

Awsume workmanship....

26. nowhereman

nowhereman
    from illinois

27. Siegbuck

Siegbuck

Wow,..... I am inspired! If it wasn't way past midnight here in RSA, I would be all over my truck in the garage. I have been working on my first rod, on and off for 8 years, a 1937 Plymouth delivery sedan - identical to yours. Although mine was in a better shape when I got it, yours looks way better now. Thank you for making me feel useless when I compare mine with yours:eek: but thank you also for inspiring me again to start working on her again. :D

28. Siegbuck

Siegbuck

Will you sell me copies of those .dxf files?:eek:

29. D-Rail

D-Rail

WOW WOW WOW! I'm a retired Aircraft Metal Smith and there is a lot of ambition in re-creating THAT panel. Excellant work! Reminds me of days gone by. Loved my work and have the battle scars to prove it.:) Keep the updates coming and I'm subscribing!