Register now to get rid of these ads!

40 Ford Pickup Project. I need advice.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MigMan, Oct 5, 2012.

1. MigMan

MigMan

I recently found a 40 for pickup that had been stored in a barn for years that I picked up cheap. It is all original but the flathead and tranny are gone but the front end and banjo rear diff with torque tube are all there. The body is covered with surface rust and the frame is shot. I found a new 40 frame with a Mustang II front suspension already installed to replace it. The new frame had a 289 in it but I was told it was now configured for a 350. I am going to go look at it tomorrow and see what I think. Here is my problem I need your advise with.. Should I buy the frame and put a 350 in it like everyone else like it is set up for or can I use a 302 instead without moving the mounts? I found a 80 Ford F-100 with a 302 newly rebuilt carb and a rebuilt transmission for $500.00. It also has a 9 inch rear end as well. I know the rear end will have to be shortened to use it but for the price I am not sure I can pass it up. I can scrape the truck after I take the parts I need and get a few hundred dollar back. Also it would be a Ford in a Ford which is rare these days everyone runs Chevy 350's. I know the body is going to need a lot of work and patching and I may be getting ahead of myself but this deal just kind of fell in my lap. Any advice would be appreciated. Here are some pics. I know it looks bad but it has promise I think. After all what do you expect for $500.00. I have the cab, bed, doors, front fenders, rear fenders, and hood. It needs a frame and a grill the deluxe it came with will not work.

Attached Files:

2. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

go with a SBC they fit well

3. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Small Block Chevy's were designed to fit in '40 Fords.

4. Go with the 302, I did and mine fit real well with the AOD. I get so many comments about it being nice to see a Ford in a Ford.

Later

Eric

5. I have a '40, and a '41 both have Flatheads in them, so apparently not "everyone runs Chevy 350's".
    Pretty sure there are more out there.

6. manyolcars

manyolcars

There are many good reasons to use a smallblock chevy and the most important two are Money and it's traditional.. If you are wealthy you can go with an offbrand engine

7. Weasel

Weasel

I have a 302/5.0 and AOD in my '40 Sedan Delivery with MII front suspension - fits very nicely with no hacking of firewall thank you very much - why go with a Chevy? It's a Ford darn it....;)

[​IMG]

8. Weasel

Weasel

I guess Small Block Chevys in a Ford are not baaaaad....

[​IMG]

9. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

Seems you have a good handle on the sbf for $500, it's not a big deal to change out the chevy engine mounts that are in the frame for ford mounts. I'd go with the F-100 engine if it checks out OK. Nothing wrong with a chevy either. If you can find one for around $500 with a tranny like the Ford F-100 sbf, go with it. Parts for the chevy are cheaper/easier to obtain. Apples and oranges ya know?....

10. Old Dude

Old Dude

I have a 289 Ford-C 4 Trans. in my '41 Ford Pick Up. You need to offset firewall 2 to 2 & half inches, according to how you are setting up Cooling system. I get a lot of good compliments. Good Luck

Attached Files:

• 446.jpg
      446.jpg
      File size:
      439.6 KB
      Views:
  11. Weasel

Weasel

Use a shorty water pump on the 302, locate the radiator as far forward as you can and you should not have to modify firewall at all....

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I personally wouldn't put a small block Ford into something that came with a small block Ford... Do the Chevy and make life easy.

13. Weasel

Weasel

[​IMG]

14. XWYNNSGUY

XWYNNSGUY

No disrespect to anyone or anyones car or choice of engine. ANYTHING but a 350 chevy, put that ford in it!!!! Just me

15. Weasel's second post was so cool that I forgot what the thread was about.

16. The sheep and their SBC!!!:D

17. I have a 327 in mine and there is plenty of room even for a/c and power steering and battery.

18. TheEngineer

TheEngineer
    from New Mexico

Use the ford. I bet you could double your money parting out small shipable parts on eBay. Vent windows, tail lights, door handles, hood hinges, window regulators, ash tray, steering column, and other small hard to find items. It'll add up. You can store that stuff in the attic while you wait for a buyer and you can still scrap the truck for about $350 when you're done gutting it.

19. If you can find a '41 pickup front crossmember, that will help with putting in a SBF. The '41 pickups had a deeper front crossmember because that was the first year Ford offered a 6 cylinder option.

20. slobroy

slobroy

If the new frame is set up for mtII the only concern would be oil pan clearance issues with a front sump oil pan. If the truck engine has the same oil pan set up like the early broncos you should be ok, But I have a flathead in mine with a t5.

21. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd use the 302 etc. if you get the aftermarket frame/MII combo. If you have to go back to an original frame the 302 is still viable, but more work/ mods. to do. The FH/T5 is good but will be the most expensive in the long run, JMHO.

22. Ice man

Ice man

With a Ford 302 the dizzy in in front and thats handy, and the 302 just sounds better. LOL. Iceman

23. n847

n847

This is a pointless post...Obviously you know this will be controversial topic. It sounds like you know your too cool for a SBC any way. More importantly if switching from SBC to SBF engine mounts are your throwing you for a loop than how do you hope to perform this whole frame swap?

What do you want us to say...Use what ever motor you like! I'd say if you want to be a hard ass about it then take it back to a flat head. If your changing to a later model engine series then does it really matter chevy, ford, or mopar?

Sorry I'm probably just venting but I get sick of people asking a theoretical question just to stir up shit! The 302 is a great motor, as are most all of the SBC's. But you clearly know what you want to do now get out and do it!

24. MigMan

MigMan

Well after much thought and recommendations I have decided to go with the 302 and put a ford back in the ford. The new frame I bought us already boxed and changing the mounts should be easy. I have next owned a ford so this will be a first for me. I plan on using the short water pump and moving the motor as far forward as possible to keep from cutting my firewall. Thanks to everyone for their opinions. I have a 350 in my 36 Plymouth and had planned on the same but the available parts at a cheap price for the moment helped with my decision.

25. 2935ford

2935ford

I about fell off my chair with this....funny GREAT!

26. austinhunt

austinhunt

Listen here.

Use the stock frame, front, and rear. It will make you happy later that you left something really cool on there that cost you only a small amount to rebuild with no fab work.

Dont go sbc or sbf!

I screwed up and rebuilt a sbf (which is cool I think) but for gods sake, find a flatty!

You can find a running (near stock) flathead with all the money you save not changing front end, steering, ford water pumps and pulleys, oil pans, custom drive shaft, shortened axles for a 9 inch.... the list goes on. Trust me... I just did EGGZACHARY what you are about to. minus MII..

27. austinhunt

austinhunt

Darn, I didnt see page 2 during my hissy fit....Well, pm me if you need advise on the 302.

I played the ford mix and match game... it hurts every time.

Please excuse the temporary valve covers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. aldixie

aldixie

I have a 302 mounted in my 40. Fits well but you do have to recess the firewall a couple of inches. I also had to use a remote oil filter as the Mustang II top hat was in the way.

29. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I would totally go sbf...

30. spiders web

spiders web

Put a chevy in and paint it yellow. Then pin stripe it and scroll the words on the back that say "The lemon lemming". How can you even ask the question for !#@&# sake. Its one of Henrys finest automobiles with lines that drip with pure brilliance and your considering anything other than an oval engine then you should burn in Hot Rod Hell!!!!!! Just say'in