Register now to get rid of these ads!

Building ford 37 dual exhaust.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Court town 37, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Court town 37

Court town 37
    from Sweden

Hi

Need som advice here about building the left side exhaust on a 37 ford Wich is the best way to go.
    Through the x member stand or under the x-member either way has thier benefits or drawbacks.

My setup: Fenton headers, 2" pipes for the exhaust, 39 brake/clutch pedal stand, Stoch steering gear.

Thanks /Christian.

2. fordor41

fordor41

I'd run them thru the cross member if possible. Under and they are kind of low. Gets a bit cramped around the clutch/brake. Use mandrel formed 2" tubing bends. Can cut short sections, weld together and work around the pedal assys. Mandrel bends give good flow when making sharp turns.

3. Jedidiah

Jedidiah
    from Ft Worth

I would also say thru the x-member if possible. I am running 2" exhaust under the x-member and toward the center up tight. My truck sits fairly low and the exhaust scraps going in and out of driveways from time to time. The main thing I don't like about it is that you can see them when you are standing at a distance from the side.

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I did an ass load of through the frame dual exhaust systems in the 80s. It's not that hard to keep it from dragging bottom. You do not want it below the frame. There are several ways to run it depending on the mufflers you choose. Glasspacks fit well inside the X frame between the outer frame rail with easy hangers as it goes through the X frame stock holes and then the tail pipes cut out of the X frame and then up over the rear end.

Now if you did not plan on having exhaust, you may have put the battery in the way.

5. Court town 37

Court town 37
    from Sweden

Hey

Thank you for all response..

I was planing to go under the x member just to clear the pedal stand master cylinder and brake pipe.. The exhaust pipe would be run up and through the middle section again..
    The main thing here is however the pipe will clear the pedals play if i run it through the left x member. I dont want to put the body on just to check pedal clearance..
    And the front brakline is in the way of where the pipe will be... i dont know how dangerous it will be to expose the brakeline from the exhaust heat 1 meter from the header but everyone who has been goin 55 and suddenly no brakes know how overheated brake fluid act...Been there once

6. dolsen37

dolsen37
    from Nebraska

If I remember correctly one side of the x member does not have holes for the exhaust to travel through. I cut mine carefully with plazma cutter and ran through the x member. Good luck

dolsen37