Register now to get rid of these ads!

Good Beginner's HVLP Spray Guns???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bfinch56, Oct 5, 2012.

1. bfinch56

bfinch56

I heard mention on a thread here of a Devilbiss Startingline Kit that has two guns, one with a 1.3 tip and the other with a 1.8. The kit says its designed to allow for shooting a broad spectrum of coatings/paints.
    Being entirely new at this, I am attracted to the options this kit allows and the price. Does anybody have any suggestions for a better beginner's setup in similar price range (around $200)? Also, I would appreciate some links to good "general" paint threads.. did several searches and couldn't find what I was looking for.
    Thanks guys.

2. I know I'm going to take shit for this, but here goes. Those purple Harbor Frieght HVLP guns arent a bad gun to shoot/learn on. They are cheap, and we down grade them as they get older. Start off as paint gun, they get down graded to a primer gun after a few cars, then after that, my wife uses them to spray upholstery glue. After that, they are trashed.Not everyone needs a Sata.:cool:

3. 55 gasser pickup

55 gasser pickup
    from utah

Starting line kit is a good kit to play around with.Devilbiss parts are easy to get to.Use the 1.8 gun for primers and 1.3 gun for paint.I bought the same kit awhile back and am perfectly happy with it.I dont paint for a living (anymore,used to paint atm machines) and i dont know if it would work for everday user's but an ocaisional painter like me it is great.

HelmuthBrothers likes this.
  4. bfinch56

bfinch56

Thanks guys. Just double checked. There's now a Devilbiss Starting line kit that instead of having two of the same size guns and two different tips, this has one full size gun and a mini touch-up gun and three size tips for about the same price. I think I'm gonna go for it.
    I don't know what it is, but anytime i'm getting into something new, I always need somebody to kick me off the cliff. Maybe I need to grow a pair! Thanks guys.

5. Gomojo55

Gomojo55

I got a Devillbis starting line kit recently from Eastwood that has 3 spray guns, One for primer (1.8 tip), one for paint (1.3 tip), and a smaller (small job/repair) gun. I haven't had the opportunity to use it yet, but my friend has the same kit and says it works really well.

6. George G

George G

I just painted my first item (a tractor) with my Fuji Q3 HVLP. Very impressed with the result.

7. Can't beat those HF guns, I have one somewhere I paid like $12 for. New in the box.

8. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

X2, I'm a self taught painter (my boss is too tight-assed to pay for a course), I use the Devilbiss almost everyday and it's an easy gun to learn on. the trickiest part is setting up for different types of paint, single pack, 2k 2:1 or 4:1, they're all different.

Scotty

9. I would suggest upping to thier Finishline guns, they can be rebuilt. The starting line guns spray nice and are a good place to start you couldnt go wrong buying them. And i use the purple harbor junk ones for primer, they are great primer guns.

10. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

I got the 50$ (couple years ago) at lowes, its a kobalt with a 1.4 tip....does good for me.

Not to hijack the thread but what about really small detail/touchup guns.....what do you all reccomend for something decent and a decent price???

11. I'll also stand up for the Harbor Frieght gun. Paid $19 for mine. I shot a dash and garnish moldings. I was impressed. Shot the rest of the car with it.

12. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

i just started painting and I bought a HF gun for primer and a Iwata gun for paint....i was told if you can spent the money it's an good investment to get a great paint gun from the very start

13. harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

just bought a Neiko 1.7 for primer and frame paint, If I like it, I may buy the 1.3 for painting. I don't like base coat clear coat, so it may be fine for Dupont acrylic enamel single stage paint.

14. I just bought a Harbor Freight gun and used it for the first time this week. For someone who has never sprayed paint before, it was pretty easy to use and did a pretty good job

15. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

The Harbor Freight gun is good, but you can get a Sharpe Finex gun for a little over $100 and it is a very nice gun that you can get parts for.

16. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

Do the HFguns use a "normal size" tip and cup that can be replaced???

17. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

the hf guns do as these guys say work very well for a disposable gun for the price of a rebuild kit for my sharpe i can buy 2 new hf guns and keep the old ones for parts if needed i paint all my cars in a garage and its allways windy as hell on paint day but i use bccc and just wetsand the skeeters and dirt out after a couple weeks i have a hf gun for primer a hf mini touch up gun and a sharpe finex 120.00 gun for paint

18. I too am looking for a low budget system because I want a low budget look. I've been collecting good used chrome/stainless trim for my 57' Belair because I don't want it to look too restored when done. Just a couple of chrome 60's do-dads in the engine compartment and a budget tuck and roll inside rather than stock. I've also decided that rather than the "patina look" I want it to look somewhat like a home painted car. Even though it's a frame-off build I want it to look more like a survivor and plan to drive the wheels off it.

19. Jim P

Jim P
    from Tyler, TX

I have found that with my Devilbis I have to turn the air up pretty high to get it to lay down like I like it. This causes a lot of paint in the air. I invested in a much better gun to put more down on the product instead of in the air. Boy did it ever. I had to really back off and pay attention. Almost learning to paint again.

20. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

the 3 gun kit from vapor are nice i shot the 62 in my photos with one just to prove you dont need 1000$ gun to paint .

21. oldskoolshop

oldskoolshop

there is 100% truth to the old saying..."you get what you pay for"...spend the money and buy something good! Just my 2 cents! Paint is way too expensive to have to buy again because of a cheap gun!

22. I have a Finex and the purple Harbor Freight guns and so far the HF gun seems to do a better job.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  23. Purple HF gun for 9.99 on sale. Great for primers and even hot rod flatz. Adjustability is good and they work very well.

24. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I have a husky from home depot. works ok. good, dry air is almost as important as good prep. A $500 gun won't make up for shortcuts.

25. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I had a SATA knock off I got from the local paint shop that i used for years--it crapped out on me in the middle of a paint job. I ran to Advance (I think--it may have been autozone) and bought the $60 off the shelf gun. it's one of the best spraying guns I've ever used. if you want I'll go back and look which one it was so you know.

26. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

I just bought this HF set (haven't sprayed with it):

http://www.harborfreight.com/professional-automotive-hvlp-spray-gun-kit-94572.html

I have owned this gun for 4-5 years now:

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Thought I'd do some comparisons for you guys:

The lowes gun has a 1.4 tip, the HF gun has a 1.4 and 1.8 tip.

Upon opening the HF gun the small paint cup had been cross threaded (I am assuming it came off of a shelf, so I got to call and see what they will do).

The HF gun just felt cheap beside the kobalt gun, it was lighter, flimsier and just doesn't feel as good in your hand.

The kobalt cup is much stronger than the flimsy cup with the HF gun.

I am not a professional and have maybe sprayed a total of two cars (mainly pieces here and there) I have sprayed a lot of steel structural stuff with the kobalt gun and it does good with paint and clear. I sprayed my 05 f150 fender with it, and you can't tell a difference in what I done and the factory paint (It was metallic silver two) after it was sanded and buffed.

I originally bought the kobalt gun for furniture as I build quite a bit of furniture for family and myself as a hobby. I have sprayed laquer, urethane, and enamel with it. All has turned out well.

The only downfall to the kobalt gun is the only tip you can get for it is a 1.4 tip. I plan to use the HF gun for primer with the 1.8 tip.

If I had to choose, It would be the Kobalt gun hands down for the price. I am really curious about the other Kobalt "automotive" gun.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

I will spray with all guns tommorrow, and will let you know how it goes........

27. flacoman

flacoman
    from Sunrise FL

2/3 of a GOOD paint job is PREP! If you're down in Florida (or a similarly damp place ) renting a nitrogen tank is a good investment. Steady pressure , no noise and no moisture.

28. Thanks for sharing experiences.. " tlmartin84 "

29. kscarguy

kscarguy

I use a HF gun to shoot thick poly primers.

The thing I do not like about an HVLP gun is that to get the clear coat to lay down and eliminate orange peel, you have to increase the pressure, making it a high pressure gun. A while back, I sprayed Dupont clear coat with my siphon feed binks and it worked quite good. I then switched my clear to "Rubber Seal" brand clear(Dayton Ohio) and was really impressed. It laid down smooth as glass and has a deep gloss, all with my old Binks. I think the clear has more to do with the paint job quality than the gun.