Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help me ID my early ford rear hub,Please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TomCat 1, Sep 14, 2012.

1. TomCat 1

TomCat 1

I have a rearend that I am sure by measurements and spring mounts is a '37-'40 Ford rearend but I'm not sure if its out of a car or truck. According to the numbers on it its a 3.78 ratio which makes me think car. My buddy I bought it from thinks its a '40. It does have hydraulic brakes which I heard started in '39. Anyway I had a bad rear hub so I ordered one from Speedway which they say fits a '40 but when I put my brake drum on it leaves about a 1/2" of shoe showing on the inside. The flange is closer to the ouside tip(where the key is by about this amount. So did they have different hubs????? I need one as my bearing surface was all pitted but now I'm not sure what to even ask for. Please help me out here! Thanks for now.

2. 46-48 hubs use a different brake drum that mounts on the inside of the flange. It sounds like you have a latter hub. I think Speedway gets their hubs from the Bolling Brothers/M/T Car products. A guick Google or Yahoo search should turn up their web page and phone number. I have called them before and they have been helpful. They are HAMB Alliance vendors.

3. TomCat 1

TomCat 1

No, my drums (rear now) mount on the outside of the hub and have to be pressed out. Actually the center hole on my drum is alot bigger then the Speedway hub needs. Also my hub is about 7" in diameter and the Speedway one is 7 1/2".....HELP

4. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

You should be able to source hubs for early application 39 thru 41 or 42. It seems like Joblot has both. Speedway may only sell the late types and they don't explain differences well in there on line info. I've seen cars with both early and late type hubs/drums mounted due to availability problems back in the day. I believe both type hubs/drums are available now days. Swaging the lug studs is also a factor when replacing the drums or hubs. Some of the currently available studs are not useable for swaging or made for thinner hub flanges so you have to know what parts you need.

It's a good idea to get a green bible chassis parts book when sourcing the parts for these old relics from a bygone era.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012

5. TomCat 1

TomCat 1

Does nyone have one of these in good shape?

6. ask the guys on the fordbarn they will know!

7. TomCat 1

TomCat 1

Still looking for id info and the hub too

8. pictures would help greatly!!!!!