Register now to get rid of these ads!

Finally some progress on the fairlane(new shoes)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 62FORD91, Oct 2, 2012.

1. 62FORD91

62FORD91
    from S.Va.

Well its been sitting patiently for a couple of years while more important things (family) have taken priority. Ive been collecting parts and finally a few weeks ago things slowed down enough for me to start doing some work.My plan for this year is to get the bugs worked out and start driving it. I was in charlotte a couple weeks ago and stopped by towel city racing tires and picked up a set of their cheater slicks and front runners. So heres what Im starting with after her new shoes. amazing what a set of wheels and tires will do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

What size slick and rear wheel ?? Looks Great !

3. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

That looks great. I was just wondering what this wheel/tire combo would look like on my Fairlane. Looks good!

4. 62FORD91

62FORD91
    from S.Va.

Thanks guys,I wanted to do something different from what most 62 owners do and I love super stock cars of the early 60s so I wanted as big a tire that I could stuff under and it had to be an early style cheater. The wheels are 15x6 late 60s ford,and the tires are recapped cheater slicks from towel city. They started with a 235/75 casing and measure 28.75" tall after capping. Let me say I did have to "roll" the front lower most section of quarter and rocker. Approx 3-4". I still have an issue with the passenger side hitting even after rolling it. Im pulling the rearend out anyway to clean and fix a leak and will see what I can do to try move the rearend back a half inch or so. Other than the section I rolled there is plenty of room. Heres a picc of the driver side after rolling.

[​IMG]

5. Muttley

Muttley

I'd suggest painting the wheel to match the body. Black wheels with blackwall tires look strange, you need some distinction between the tire and wheel that you dont get when they are the same color. Nice car.

6. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

Looks great. Ive had Towelcity on 2of my cars. Remove the front bumper and get some old dragstrip stickers and it will even be better ;)

7. edweird

edweird

or let me letter it.

8. 62FORD91

62FORD91
    from S.Va.

Thanks for the suggestions guys,thats exactly what I'm looking for on here. I had a hard time deciding between black and white wheels,and basically it came down to what was easiest at the time.I thought it would be easier to do semi flat black instead of trying to find the correct color white that would look right. I'm not planning on doing anything to the body or interior,so the rust and dings will stay for now. I thought if I ever do paint it I'll most likely color match the wheels. If I decide to paint the wheels what color white do you suggest?

As far as decals go,I have some that I may use but the are reproductions and look too new. I may try to age them somehow. I have looked and would love to find some vintage decals from the local tracks to me. The most famous known to super stock in the 60's is probably Piedmont Dragway near greensboro nc. If anyone knows where I could find any please let me know.

I have also thought about lettering the car and running my grandfathers name on it as a tribute to the man that started my love for all cars and primarily old fords. I wouldnt mind doing it now like the car is,but may wait to decide if I want to redo the entire car.

9. Reminds me a lot of my pal Greg's Fairlane,,yeah,I know it's a 64 but still has the look. HRP

[​IMG]

This is what it looks like now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  10. Definitely don't paint the wheels a different color unless you can match the paint on the body!!!! It'll look way hokier then the black wheels.

I have noticed in a lot of vintage racing pics that they would mask off a "slice of pie" and paint it a contrasting color when they ran widened steeled on the rear. I like the look and it might add a neat look to it.

11. 62FORD91

62FORD91
    from S.Va.

I love the way that 64 looks,nice car!!! Always wanted one. Basically same type of look I want. I do like the way the white wheels look,think I may have to change mine,eventually. Still small block?

12. 62FORD91

62FORD91
    from S.Va.

Yeah,thats main reason I went with black........I mean black goes with anything right? :D

13. Yeah,Greg's '64 still has the small block and a 4 speed.

Our Buddy Tony is building a Thunderbolt clone with a big block,,he sent us this photo today. HRP

[​IMG]

14. 62FORD91

62FORD91
    from S.Va.

Im gonna build a nice little small block for mine,think I've definately decided on dual carbs on a low rise intake and cut-outs on the exhaust. Also gonna stick with a manual. Did your buddy make his own "ram-air" or did he buy it as a kit?

Now thats the way to build one,much easier than lyin on a creeper and eatin rust and 50 yr old dirt!!!!

15. UncleDonnie

UncleDonnie

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Looks perfect. Now you need some gear to offset the tall tires.

17. slammed1

slammed1

very cool look,like it alot

it should be an easy fix to move your rear end back a little bit,you could drill a new hole in your spring perches further forward of the original hole to move it rearward 3/4 to an inch.

18. 62FORD91

62FORD91
    from S.Va.

Thanks..........what,u dont think that 145hp 221 will be able to turn those tires......:D
    It'll definately need some help,hopin to do that with more ponys.

19. 62FORD91

62FORD91
    from S.Va.

Thanks,thats what I was thinkin too. Hopin to get rear out this week and give it a look. I want this thing done,I'm ready to ride.

20. 2dr_sedan

2dr_sedan

Looks good.
    +1 on body color rear wheels.

Here's mine
    [​IMG]

21. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

62FORD91, do you know what the backspacing is on your rear wheels?

THANKS!

22. I am a big fan of the super stock wedge myself. It just says "Super Stock" or FX to me. It actually was not for looks except on streeters, an experienced crew man could tell a lot about what the car was doing by watching the wedge.

62FORD91
    I ment to ask the fronts are just skinny americans?

23. 62FORD91

62FORD91
    from S.Va.

Not sure,i didnt measure it before mounting the tires,but Id say around 4". I can try to get a measurement when I get home if you want.

24. 62FORD91

62FORD91
    from S.Va.

Yeah they are just new 4" americans. I wanted some early versions,time and cost didnt allow..I had a set of early crager g/t that I had planned on using but they 14x7 and I decided to go narrower.

25. Sometimes cost is a determining factor in any build. They look good and they are lighter than steel that's what counts.

26. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

I like the Black rear wheels. Looks like All Business to me ...Maybe some chrome lug nuts

27. 2dr_sedan

2dr_sedan

28. 1953Cletus

1953Cletus
    from Surrey

I'm just about to order a pair of front runners, and cheaters from Towel City myself. What size are you running on the rear and on what size rim? It looks great and would like a similar result on my 65GTO.

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014