Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A's on 32 frames How much body overhang?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gigantor, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Gigantor

Gigantor

When placing a Model A on a 32 frame, is there a specific formula that just looks "right" or is it all personal opinion?
    I was thumbing through the Bishop-Tardel book where they touch on placing an A body on a 32 frame and they say the body should overhang by an inch and a half at its wides point, otherwise the car ends up looking "thick and heavy."

It got me to thinking about my favorite Model A's and how they seem to conform to the frame rather than overlapping by so much, but then I realized that I never got down on my hands and knees with a tape measure to find out just how far they overlapped.

So I am interested in opinions, experiences, ancient hot rod lore and the like. I mean, Vern Tardel swings a pretty big stick in the traditional hot rod world... But an inch and a half sounds like too much overhang. Or did I read it wrong?

2. I used a black board frame that is pinched for the Model A. Very little overhang maybe 1/2" to 1". I also channeled the body over the frame an inch. I like the look as I think it looks like it belongs.

3. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

I think that you read it wrong. I think that he meant that the overhang of the body on the frame should be no more than an inch and a half total at the widest point. Just measure the outside width of the subframe at the B pillar, and build the frame so that the subframe just sets over the rails at that point (about 43") and everything else will work itself out...

P.S. you may have to pinch the rails a little at the front of the rear wheelwell so they slip up inside the rear sheetmetal...

4. Gigantor

Gigantor

Thanks for the input guys!
    Chopt top kid, you just made WAY more sense... Have you ever considered being an editor or a writer? ;) thank you.

One good thing about this is that I get to look at ALL the Model A's on 32 Frames thread all over again to see which ones I like. It's amazing what a difference that makes on the overall car once you start looking for it.

5. Don´t think you should go more than 1". Dropped mine 2 inches but gonna rase it 1 because i´m not realy pleased with the look. Gonna drop the lid one more inch aswell.

[​IMG].

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/picture.php
    albumid=27735&pictureid=405605

6. flthd31

flthd31

You DID read it right. Mike and Vern like it to be 1 1/2 " overhang "just as the wider 32 body does"
    I happen to agree with them about the "thick look" without enough overhang.
    Here's one I'm working on that's channeled 3/4" with 1 1/4' overhang at the widest point under the doors. It's hard to tell from pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Gigantor

Gigantor

Thanks for the pics and experiences, guys. Kenneth31Coupe, I would not chop that anymore- it looks just right in my opinion.

8. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Its all preferance & everyone is different. These look valid. I sit the back level & dip the cowl about 5/8-3/4 some even an 1"

Attached Files:

9. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

this isnt the best photo to show what I did...
    but i left the frame stock width from the K-member forward... just pulled the rear together untill the kick-ups were inside of the wheel recesses.... and the sides just under the rolled edge of the body
    saved having to cut the complete subrail out and step it...

this gives it a little overhang on the sides... but not a ton...and also keeps the frame looking pretty much stock

the cowl is pie-cut infront of the pillar to fit the forward kick of the frame... eliminating the gap between the flat model-A body and the curvy 32 rails

[​IMG]

10. Gigantor

Gigantor

Mataconcepts, That first and middle photo are VERY helpful! Thank you!

11. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

1 - Thick look is good. Thats why the 32 frame under an A.
    2 - Not too low in the back where you cant see the wheel well.
    3 - Paint the frame the same body color.

These 3 make the car look more like One Real Comeplete car & less pieced together different pieces & less like a toy roundish thing with wheels on it.

12. Gigantor. Compared to the one flthd32 posted I get more determand to shop it one more inch. Mine is shoped 3" and think flthd32:s is 4 inches. Looks a little bit meaner otherwise I´m glad you like it.

13. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

How could you not like it? 348/open header/chopped, Thats BAD ASS!!!

14. I do like it. it´s really fun to drive but I think with a lower lid it will be even badder. Gigantor, don´t mean to hijack the thread.

15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Exactly. All 3 points:

1) I have built a number of '27 Highboys, '32 rails. I always maintained the original body width, setting the pinched rails just outside the body line.
    (ever look at a Miller race car? Body sits instepped on the frame, has an angle strip riveted to the body, screwed down on the rails. This look is implied on the '27s, making it obvious that they are Model Ts on larger '32 rails; just 1/2" completes the look, rear kickups are pinched to go inside fenderwells)

2) The rear wheel well is a 'guide'. A Radius: use it.

3) Frame painted a different color looks worse than a 2-tone street rod.

Great concepts, Mataconcepts!

16. Gigantor

Gigantor

Now we're talkin' guys - these are the fevered opinions I wanted!

17. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

28/29 Is a different animal when fitting & should sit like this.

18. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

JUST DONT DO THE WOOD SPACER THING! Looks Horrible to those who know.

19. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

What type of Model A is it we are talking about?
    -28/29? -30/31? Roadster? Coupe? Tudor?

20. Gigantor

Gigantor

30 Roadster. Sorry for not specifying.

21. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Another Note: Other than a flathead, Mount the engine higher. Looks better & center the fan better in relation to the radiator.

22. I spread the rear on the body about 1 1/4 inches to go over the rear of the frame. Frame has a 6 inch zee in the rear

[​IMG]

23. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

I assumed, because of the tardel book refrence, that it was a 28/29... sorry
    Zach

24. Gigantor

Gigantor

No apology necessary! Your car is HOT.

25. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

I've always done it the depth of the body line/reveal at the bottom of the body. Just cause that's the way a '32 is.

Unless I'm reading this wrong, do you mean over hang down over the frame? Or in how far away from the sides of the frame the inner edge of the body is?

My brain hurts.

26. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Lay the body UPSIDE DOWN on the grass & put the frame on it & start fitting a little at a time. Very easy to do with a roadster.

27. bjinatj

bjinatj

Beautiful car Fuzzy!

28. Maybe this can be to some help. At the cowl I pinched the frame just enough for the cowlsides to slip over and the same at the rear wheelwells. At the B-pillars there´s about 1 1/2" hang over . Since I have channelled the body 2inches there´s a little more hang over to clear the doors. But as you said it´s a personal oppinion and nothing right or wrong.

29. Gigantor

Gigantor

how far away from the sides of the frame the inner edge of the body is

My brain hurts too... but I could have worse problems than figuring out how to fit a Model A over a 32 frame... that is a fun hurt to have.:D

30. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

The Tardel/Cochran Coupe...
    Check the front of the rear wheelwell...

[​IMG]

again...
    check the shadow line...

[​IMG]

one more...
    Can't tell much, but it sure looks good!!!

[​IMG]