Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration 60's Dirtbag/70's sleeze model A. Your 2 Cents is wanted.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by samkemper, Oct 4, 2012.

1. samkemper

samkemper
    from Portland

I am moving closer and closer to needing to finalize some ideas for my model A. I am kind of building it with alate 60's early 70's dirtbag/ sleeze inspiration and I was looking for any input for some little details.

Movie that I have used for inspiration, to help see where I am coming from: Smokey and the Bandit, Vanishing Point, Reservoir Dogs/Pulp Fiction, Dogtown and Z Boys, Convoy, Etc.

What I have:

Supremes with wide wides. Bias ply front, firestone cheaters in the back.

Offy tunnel rams w/ dual quads. Am looking for velocity stacks.

T-bucket style headers/ exhaust.

Work 8 track. Have some Waylon, Willie and the Boys. Anybody have any 8 Tracks?

CB. Single long antenna tied back or two four foot whips?

Vintage coors tap shift handle.

64 AMC Dash cluster.

Dixie Horn?

Taillight suggestions?

What are some thoughts? Period ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Muttley

Muttley

Uhh................................what?!?!

3. Where is this going ;-)

4. Johnunit

Johnunit
    from Toronto

I think you may be confusing people by blending movies and themes with widely varying aesthetics, not to mentions ones that didn't have any hot rods, per se, in them. 60's dirtbag is a pretty vague thing and I'm not sure how you apply it to a model A hot rod.

Interesting idea though, from what I can understand.

5. Magnum Wheel Man

Magnum Wheel Man

WOW... my old high school girl friend... ;)

nice vintage pics...

6. JustBryan

JustBryan
    from NE Ohio

UH OH!
    can anything good come of this?

7. It sounds like you just want to build a 70's style rod. I'm not sure what the dirtbag/sleeze thing is though. I'm going to guess that you are young and don't actually remember the 70's? Is it like a 70's version of the 50's greaseball/tattooed fishnet Betty thing, that never was? I'm not bagging on you, man. I just have no idea what you are talking about. Please explain.

8. BillSchmid

BillSchmid
    from Ohio

I think I understand where you are going with this, but I have never heard of a CB in a hot rod, even in the 70s. There were a lot on OT muscle cars and vans with them though. It was before my time though, so somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

9. birdman42

birdman42

Sam if you like it do it and be prepared to have other put you down.Just smile and say thanks.

10. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

[​IMG]

...the horror....

11. Juke Joint Johnny

Juke Joint Johnny

Just pick up the latest issue of Rat Rod magazine, cuz that's what you're building...

12. indyjps

indyjps

Sure, in a few years you can redo it in 80's boyd style to update it.

then again, why not, post the build pics, you could 70's it up, seems like most of that stuff was bolt on anyway, whats your plan for paint?

13. I don't ever remember any late 60's/early 70's cars with any of those parts in it. I don't see any correlation between this car and any of the movies you mentioned. You're building a Rat Rod but calling it something different. Build what you want, but don't be surprised at the comments on this site and what people say wherever you park it.

In the end, you're going to be putting a lot of money into a car with too many different, unrelated styling themes and a concept that nobody will understand. Building a car with a dirtbag/sleeze concept from the beginning is a recipe for an abortion.
    Theme cars..........................why?

OK, there's my 2 cents worth. I want my fuckin' change back!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  14. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Your car in the pictures actually looks pretty good, I think it is just your description of the vision you have for it and the movie references that has all of us confused. (Not sure what Pulp Fiction has to do with a car, or Reseroir Dogs either :confused:) You evidentlly have a certain view of what the 70's were and want to create a car to fit that era.

Personally, I would rather forget the 70's pretty much, and IMO some of the worst stuff was going on carwise in that decade. Guys were just coming off of muscle cars and hot rods and customs were being built with some odd features, like tires hanging way out beyond the fenders, goofy paint schemes, strange interiors, etc.

But if that is what you want it is your car, so have at it. :) If you put a CB in not sure who you will be talking too as I imagine the only people that have one today might be truckers. :D

15. 41will

41will
    from Hanover PA

Only one of those movies I think I've seen all of and remember enough of is Smokey. There is a t bucket in there somewhere. Don't remember if it had a cb or not.

More on point. That thing looks good as it is. It's your car. Build it like you want. But I'd put crazy headers on it and lots of metalflake.

16. 1931modela

1931modela
    from montana

17. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I think I get what you're going for, you're going for some of the feel of those movies and want to use some of the period parts?

And by sleaze you're going more along the lines of Tex Avery than Wooderson from Dazed & Confused. Or visa-versa?

I'd be inclined to say that if what you're going for is an idealized 70's Hot Rod & not just a Rat Rod, choose your parts carefully, make sure things look right. I'd avoid boxy lights. Also, paint it. You've already got a 2-tone thing going, so I say go with it. Do the top black and find a vibrant color of the period you like and METAL FLAKE IT!

18. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

come on guys, think "joe dirt"

19. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

Why not just build a hotrod?

20. Tommy R

Tommy R

Yeah, count me in as one of the many confused folks. Do you have any pictures of cars you're trying to emulate? Sounds like you're making something up that never existed, but right now it sure sounds like you're building a rat rod, not a traditional hot rod.

21. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

22. ScooterCO

ScooterCO
    from Parker, CO

How about Ben-Hur.. as you got that open charriot thing going on..
    Or were you going to use doors?

23. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

I'll try to give you some constructive criticism. If you're going for a 70's themed hot rod, the whitewalls have to go. The piecrust Firestones, whitewalls, and Supremes are more mid 60s show car theme. The tunnel ram isn't really mid 60's, but if you get rid of the modern valve covers, and put some finned covers or Corvette valve covers, you'd be more mid 60s correct.

If you want to stick with a 70's themed rod, then get some aluminum slot wheels. Make them 15x10 rear and 15x6 or 7 front. Make the front tires a little less wide than the wheel, so that they balloon out a little on the wheel. Put some 50 series Pro Trac or Mickey T Indy series tires on the rear. When I say 50 series, I'm not talkin' 1950's tires, I'm talking about N50-15 or G50-15, etc... Aluminum slots and 50 series tires were the standard back then. Paint it black with yellow/orange flames. This was wildly popular in the 70s. The working 8-track could be neat touch to complete the theme, and put a 3-spoke steering wheel in it, with a wood grain wheel. Make the iterior black naugahyde, with wide pleats or even a diamond tuck pattern. For the engine, keep the side pipes, put some finned valve covers on it, and ditch the Hilborn style carb scoop. Run some dish type/velocity stack style carb inlets and filters. You could put an oogah horn, but leave the dixie horn for the Dukes of Hazard. Here's a few 70's style car pics for reference. The black & flamed A coupe is the epitome of a 70s style rod, with the exception of the painted wheels. Decide on what you want, go with consistent styling ques from that time, and leave the gimicks and drama in the movies.

Scan0038_detail.jpg scan0036.jpg
    scan0050.jpg Top-26.jpg

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I love the late sixties look. Not sure what it has to do with the original post though...:confused::rolleyes:

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

As I understand it, he's building a rat rod with a CB whip and an 8-track???:confused::confused:

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Ding, ding ding. We have a winnah!

27. 327Eric

327Eric

Most guys tried to make their cars look good, No matter how bad it was, even guys with long hair. The crap look/rat rod look is a new thing.

28. rustrodder

rustrodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't forget the shag carpet!