Register now to get rid of these ads!

History yesteryears fillin stations

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by breeder, Oct 28, 2006.

1. esmith2039

esmith2039

Route 66 between Tulsa and OKC

[​IMG]

I bet at one time this was one.. hard to believe otherwise.
    [​IMG]

No gas station but cool IMO
    [​IMG]

2. maplefrm

maplefrm
    from Central IL

This is a gas station from the 1920's in Springfield, IL. The gas station was about 4 miles west of downtown Springfield on Old Jacksonville Road. We bought the house and property in 1980 and used the gas station for storage. In 1992 we decided to sell the property and the rules had changed. Banks would no longer loan money on the property because the tanks were still in the ground (under part of the building). Luckily there was no contamination in the ground from any leakage. It cost a few thousand dollars to have the building demolished, the tanks removed, tested, cleaned out (notice the man in the white suit), hauled to the scrap yard, soil tested.....all under the watchful eye of the Illinois State Fire Marshal, Springfield City Fire Department and a representative from the EPA. After all of this, everyone was happy and the property sold. Unfortunately, a nice 1920's gas station is gone.

Attached Files:

3. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

Taylor, NE.

[​IMG]

Westerville, NE.

[​IMG]

4. jb39chev

jb39chev
    from Conroe,TX.

Here's one in Kirbyville, TX.

5. jb39chev

jb39chev
    from Conroe,TX.

Oops

Attached Files:

6. AntiBling

AntiBling

[​IMG]

My GF's grandpa's old service station, opened it in the 1949, ran it till sometime in the 80s. The Buick is original and my gf's.

Her grandpa is ready to sell the service station and if it works out, I may be buying it, with all the old inventory, tires, and tools (tire changer, balancer, sioux valve grinders, sun diagnostic tools, old lathe, working in ground lift, ac delco cabinets, etc.)

[​IMG]

There are a bunch of these cabinets with pleasurizer advertising written on them, they aren't all shock cabinets, just more for promotional I guess. I haven't been digging in there too much yet I haven't found any actual shocks.

7. havi

havi

Like Breeder, I hope to build an addition/office on my future shop (a standard 30x40 or 50 building w/doors on the 30' end) and make it look like an old gas station. These two pics are about as close as I have seen to what I hope to build. Just want to say thanks for this thread and these pics.

8. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

That's a killer building!

9. havi

havi

I took the liberty, lol:

Attached Files:

10. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

Haha......cool! He'll, I'd take is as is and build on to make it look old. Ya could always make it taller the the org, but buy old tin to cover the good tin on new addition! Dammit, why couldn't I've been born rich instead of ugly?

11. darkk

darkk

This station is on Rte 169 in Brooklyn Ct. It was taken by an acquaintance and I will give her the credit for the photo. *Kim Higgins Marchand*

Attached Files:

12. eye bone

eye bone

13. Here's our gas pumps & canopy after we refurbished them. It was a Stuckey's built in 1963. It is now our Speed Shop.

Attached Files:

14. AHotRod

AHotRod

I enjoyed the journey to a great time with you all....

15. Love this thread, keep her going. Thought I might post this pic of a cool Marx station I picked up here a while back. You all that are in my age group and older will probably remember them.

Late 50's early 60's "Marx" Service Center (tin) with most of the accessories.

[​IMG]

16. 4tford

4tford

Here is one I hung out at my friends parents had this station in Dearborn, Michigan. It had a pit outside you drove a car over to work on. His 59 vette and front end showing of the 54 ford he drag raced. Pic show Aug 64.

Attached Files:

17. 69Chevelle454

69Chevelle454
    from Texas

I know this is kind of a really long shot but if anyone has shots of mechanic/repair/gasoline stations from Texas could you post them? Im looking for my great grandfathers shop he had here in Texas and we have no shots of the place and it would mean so much to my 75 year old grand father to see it and his dad again. I dont expect any miracles but I have hope! He had one in Plains Texas (way out in West Texas), Fort Worth Texas.

18. 69Chevelle454

69Chevelle454
    from Texas

Also anyone got any shots of Shelby's shop before he moved to California in Fort Worth Texas? He use to test and run his cars out at Green Valley in North Richland Hills (then Smithfield)

19. 69Chevelle454

69Chevelle454
    from Texas

I know the one in Plains was named Ward or Ward's Garage not sure about the others, knowing how small the town is it probably stood for awhile but changed names Im sure.

20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

found this one while checking out local garage sales last weekend:

Attached Files:

21. OK, I've posted this request elsewhere, and contacted the Baxter county library.
    I cannot find a photo of the Texaco station I had from 1972-1975 in Mountain Home, Ark.
    It was at the intersection of Rt62 and Buzzard Roost rd. Across from Pioneer trail. Rodgers Lumber was nearby. There is a large red-roofed building there now. Near Wal-mart.
    It was called Norm's Texaco.
    The station was operated by Clark Rawlings for many years before.
    I'll pay a fair price for a photo or copy of one.

It was just an office attached to a long brown brick store/building with an awning over the drive. Only 2 pumps, and originally had an outdoor lift next to it that was enclosed by a separate wood-frame garage later.
    It may have looked something like this with the attached store to the right. I believe it was a used car lot after 1975.
    Thanks for any help. Norb

Attached Files:

22. oldschoolgasser55

oldschoolgasser55

hl. in 1975 i got this place ran it as a texaco for a few years then did away with the gas and ran it as a shop now i live in it.. it was built in late 20s early 30s by atlantic richfield ..

Attached Files:

23. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

A few weeks ago I picked up a book on old gas stations from our public library.
    I was surprised to see that two of the featured stations were here in Ellensburg, the old Whipple's gas station (now an ungodly yellow), and the old windmill. We have a another on the outskirts of town that was used in a commercial a few years ago, and a restored mobile station that is now a great hamburger joint that caters to old car guys like ourselves. Great history for such a small little town in central Washington.

Attached Files:

24. Normbc9

Normbc9

In my home town in Montana. Quaint??
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

25. manyolcars

manyolcars

I went to car show in the Walmart parking lot there yesterday and didnt see it. Is the building torn down?

26. Yes, it's the Bank of the Ozarks now. I found it on google maps.

27. great thread thanks to all who posted photos

28. brad2v

brad2v

29. brad2v

brad2v

And a pic of the station in question;

Attached Files:

30. Madillac

Madillac
    from Tonka, MN

I just stumbled across this thread and the first thing I see is my Mom's house and gas station! My old band used to practice in there.