Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Rusty 47 Ford Reserection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by koolkemp, Apr 17, 2010.

1. koolkemp

koolkemp

Thanks thats my fav view...I might try and get some blocks in there before I completely blow it apart ,to get the ass end down some

lol ! What happened with the rag top Eli did you ever go see it??

Thanks its great to finally be back at it

Thanks Zibo...I am kinda paranoid about rust so I am sure I make it more tedious than it really has to be :p

Thanks Tom!

The 51 finally left last night so thats outta my hair...and since I dont have anything chopped to drive anymore its good incentive to stay focused on this ol'girl. Its supposed to rain here for the next 3 days but if we get some relief I am gonna shove her out with the door and hood on for a few pics!

Great news Eli ! Way too much cool stuff there to be lost! When I get a couple of pics with the hood and a door on maybe you can lower it for me :D

2. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Yeah, I did go see the '55 Ford ragtop. Its pretty rotten underneath and around the back, needs a good solid donor car to fix it. Passed on that one, a '57 T-Bird that needs a complete rear section, a '57 Chevy Napco 4x4 pickup that needs a complete body, starting to see a pattern here. lol
    I'll keep an eye out for your latest pics .

3. koolkemp

koolkemp

Aww c'mon Eli its just a little welding :rolleyes: how much would it cost you to import something from the mainland? Might be cheaper in the long run if you dont wanna end up fixing junk like I do lol! A nice clean solid 4 door from California would probably be on the road for less than a rusty more desireable project? Although that T Bird sounds bad enough to be a great radical custom project :D

4. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

It costs around $1100 to ship a non operable car from San Diego to Oahu. I was considering doing just that until I talked to as friend of mine who owns a body shop. He told me to expect $8000-$12000 to have the body repaired. I'm not a body & fender type and would have to have someone fix the car. Too bad you're so far away, this would be a breeze for you.
    As for the T-Bird, its doable, but since it has a Chevy 350/350 combo in it I'd also have to track down a Y-block and tranny. The whole rear section has rusted areas, including a few inside the trunk big enought to see through.
    I'm going to look at an ot '72 Mustang Mach 1 with a 429 in it today after work.

5. sodakmini

sodakmini

i just ran an 88 page marathon...what a crazy build , half way through it you forget what you started with,,absolutely the most extensive build i have ever seen in my life (29 yrs) love it... keep it up

6. koolkemp

koolkemp

I have a friend locally with a 72 Stang...I think its a Mach I , he bought it new, never been outside in crappy weather real low mileage hasnt had it out for a few years,it had a partial repaint due to some damage to the paint when it wasnt that old. Shame it just sits there but at least its in a heated garage, he's in his 70's now,probably will be there till he's gone...

It didnt bore you to sleep lol? Thanks man I appreciate the compliments!

7. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I'm sure its in better shape than the one I looked at yesterday. Body rot spots all over, mice have been living inside for who knows how long and it smells like it. Its fixable but needs to be completely taken apart. I'm gonna pass on this one.

8. koolkemp

koolkemp

Been slogging away since Sat I wanted to get the front clip ready to blast but I needed to finish up the fab work before I could pull it off the car...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I cleaned up the cuts, and removed the buldge from the inner fender.I welded some round rod to the edges to give it some strength then made a brace for the bottom of the fender...and welded up all the holes in the inner fender.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. koolkemp

koolkemp

reapeat for the other side...boring pics but hey its progress right!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. koolkemp

koolkemp

The panel behind the grille was pretty rusty on this side so it needed an hour or so's worth of fixing...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The hood latch plate (nos supposedly) that I bought here in the classifieds must have been for a 41 or 42? cause it didnt fit a 46-48 so some surgury was required...

[​IMG]

Dohh wrong pic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. koolkemp

koolkemp

Photobucket is acting up..some double posts of pics...finished a bit of welding on the rad support ,will have to do the rest on it after I pull it apart and blast it..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bought this heater at Princess Auto for my ol 48 Chev, time to finally use it lol! Gonna modify one of the doors to supply aire for defrost, I plan to drive the wheels off this thing...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did a bunch of other stuff, bumper brackets etc so its time to throw a few things back on the car for some last mock up pics before it all comes apart...but you guys will have to wait till tonight for the pics :D I got sandblasting to do oh joy !

12. 416Ford

416Ford

Looking good Steve.
    The original stone guard goes in that last picture where you have your rod mounted and the hole welded up. Will keep a lot of mud out of the door jamb.
    Just saying this in case you were planning on putting them in latter.

13. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

14. oldman2

oldman2

Nice repairs, and adjustments. Always show pics of what your doing, sometimes it might help someone with some other thing they are doing in your shot...Jim

15. Question for you, when you tack the round rod on, do you eventually go back and completely weld the rod to the panel or do you just use filler to smooth out the transistion between the panel and round rod?

I may need to use some round rod on the truck I'm restoreing and was just curious what the proper proceedure was.

thank you
    David

16. Squablow

Squablow

Glad to know I'm not the only one to use round rod to frame out shit before putting in sheetmetal. Plus, there's tons of it free right now in the US, all the political campaign yard posters have uncoated steel rod in them!

Progress is good, keep it up.

17. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

Great progress!

18. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good show Steve!

19. koolkemp

koolkemp

I havent been able to find a set so I welded it shut...I may try to fab up something of my own design if I run out of things to do :p

Thanks!

Thats how I like to look at it..I have learned lots on here studying pics in other build threads

Depends where and how I used it,I was just gonna tack it on and leave it but I got kinda carried away (imagine that !) I will take some pics of the panels now that I have the front clip apart .

You know you are a certified scrounger when you have the election signs earmarked for build materials :D I keep finding more uses for it , but our damn election signs still use wooden stakes !

Thanks!

Thanks buddy! Hows the Chevy comin along, havent noticed any updates recently, but I have been spending more time in the shop and havent had as much time to piss away on here!

20. koolkemp

koolkemp

Sorry I didnt get these up last night, I was sandblasting till it got dark :( , but heres my last mock up pics before I started to take stuff apart...no I didnt get the lowering blocks made I put 500lbs of blasting sand in the trunk :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The trunk lid is not closed all the way, and the door isnt bolted on kinda just sitting ther lol but you get the idea, I could have sat in my lawn chair all day and looked at it hahaha!

21. koolkemp

koolkemp

but I only stared at it for a little while and started to tear it apart...

[​IMG]

22. Looking good.
    Always loved this model chopped nicely.

23. oldman2

oldman2

Sweet, looks great....Jim

24. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Really, really looks good mocked up. I've said it before, but it's an incredible project, I'm amazed every time I look at what you've done!

Brian

25. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Damn fine!!!!!!!

26. Steel A Rod

Steel A Rod

I love this build thread! Always inspires me!
    Thank You for posting it!

27. koolkemp

koolkemp

Thanks ! I dont care for the 46-48's unless they are chopped ,I like a stock 41 but the later ones just have to have the ugly customized out of them ,at least in my own warped mind :D

Thanks oldman!

Thanks Brian ! Sometimes I think I should have my head examined :rolleyes: I am pretty stoked , got a bunch done this week, got the front clip blasted yest, should have it cleaned up and primed soon. I am going to PEI tomorrow to pick up a 39 chassis and some crappy 36 Ford stuff....that will be more of a project than this I think when you see all the junk I am gonna try and turn into a 3 window full custom :eek: ...I am normal right lol?

Thanks Jeff!

Thanks Steel ! The positive feedback from everyone is very inspiring for me ..I am very happy to have the time to dive back into it! I found a few pinholes to weld up on the clip .....and that should be the last rust holes on the whole body ...finally! Not that I wont find other stuff to weld lol!

28. ChefMike

ChefMike

its a very coo car good luck

29. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

Damn that is looking good, I have been checking on your work since the begining. I sure would like to be standing nearby when some purist starts to bitch about how you ruined a perfectly good coupe.

30. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks great, Steve! If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I'd never believe it was once a sedan...lol. I hope you get a lot done this winter. If you're ever considering another name for the car, I'd suggest maybe........."Unbefuckinglievable"...lol.