Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1930-31 Roadster Project/Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Model A Fan, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

So, at long last I finally located a decent Ford Model A Roadster, the car that drove me from WWII Jeeps to even older cars. I saw one on eBay about three years ago and it flipped a switch in me. Also, another tell tale was that even though I owned a WWII Jeep, I still was looking at Model A's.

Anyway, I bought it from a semi-local man named Rolf (he's a member of the HAMB). I was at his house last year looking for a Model A frame and spotted this roadster on his car hauler. So I sat all year looking at my truck that I already had, and started designing a roadster in my head. I have always wanted one, so I decided to sell the truck and move on to the roadster.

This roadster is in decent shape. The frame is from a Sport Coupe (weird kind of car with a soft top but with side pillars), as well as the engine (the numbers match). Anyway, I contacted him and he decided to sell the roadster to me along with a whole assortment of extra parts (fenders, running boards, lots of sheet metal-things I won't be needing, so they make good trading material). I want to make a hiboy style with the lakes headers and possibly a dual intake. Kind of a "speed roadster". So last Saturday my buddy, my Dad and I went down to pick up the roadster and all the spare parts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  2. 562roadster

562roadster

Awesome start! Keep us posted on the progress. Oh, and let me know if you decide to sell one of them deck lids.

3. 510madmav

510madmav

nice man, good start!

4. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Following us home :D
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.

5. silversink

silversink

Time to get busy. nice bunch of A stuff

6. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

Next we had to dismantle the chassis that I had built for the truck I had planned. Also popped the old tires and wheels off and put the rattle can yellows with the white walls on the back :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  7. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

You've got quite the parts collection to keep you busy!

8. 208custom

208custom

No doors? I ran into a guy around here that had some he seemed interested in selling but I didn't need them. Pm me if you may need them, should be able to get you in touch.
    Looks like a great project.
    Mike

9. What's all that scrap iron laying on the driveway?

Hahaha...

Great start

10. 39 Ford

39 Ford

To say Rolf is one the HAMB is an understatement, long before you got on here he build a model A coupe one of the best series ever on here, he is the man for sure. If you need any trch help he can answer your questions.

11. aldixie

aldixie

Nice project. I know of a 1930 Roadster sitting on a drive close to me under a tarp. Belongs to the husband of one of my wifes friends. Its been sitting there for 8 years, I always ask if its for sale, always get the answer I am going to restore it when I retire.

12. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

Definitely one of the most frustrating things for sure!

I sold a bunch of parts today and cleared out some room to walk around in my garage. Progress (albeit not on the roadster) is happening! Next up is getting my air compressor working and perhaps enlisting a friend to help weld and sandblast!

13. Im stoked to follow this buld and have subscribed.

14. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Looks like you have enough spare parts to build another car or two. :D Roadster seems to be very solid. Looking forward to following your build.

Don

15. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

Thanks, I finally landed this roadster after a long time of jumping from project to project. I just couldn't get excited about anything else, so I had to get the roadster!

Yeah, the extra parts are actually funding my roadster project now. Sold off the quarters, rear fenders and some extra sheet metal.

One of the windshields is off of the Vern Tardel roadster. Kinda neat to have that for my project. :eek:

16. I am going and follow up on this one.

Frenchy

17. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

Looks like a good one, I'll be following your progress too..

18. dad-bud

dad-bud

I just love build threads - keep-a-posting please.
    Can't wait for the next installment.
    BTW, your roadster looks like you got a good start and all those spare parts are a real bonus.
    Cheers.

19. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

Weird, double post.

Anyway, I will keep the updates coming as I get them done. I might have found a distraction...a 1938 tudor deluxe, it seems like a cool drive around car.

20. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Did he get in touch about the doors? I need a rt door thanks for any help. jim.

21. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

Yeah, I got the guy's number but he never replied with any photos or anything.